What’s sexy to you?

alanrickman1I was talking to someone about men I think are sexy — Gerard Butler, Alan Rickman and Antonio Banderas — and I realized their voices do it for me. Listening to them turns me into a warm puddle. Just thinking about them turns me into that puddle. (So if you see any typos, you know what happened.)

It’s not the accent, I swear. When I was much younger, I was a huge Star Trek fan because of Leonard Nimoy, who played Spock. Not because of his looks, but because of his resonating voice.

I have a friend who LOVES Johnny Depp. I think he’s a great actor and I admire him for his sometimes unconventional choices. And, yes, he’s great looking. I admire many other actors too, their looks, their talent, their looks, their intelligence, their looks… But in the end, to melt me, I need the voice. The one actor I can think of who had it all was Cary Grant. He had the voice and the looks and the talent. (I know some of you are going to say Sean Connery, but a comment he made on an interview with Barbara Walters years ago about it being okay to slap his wife took him off my sexy list.)

gerardWhat’s odd is I don’t use the voice attraction in my books. I think it’s because you can mention something like that a few times and it gets old. Like eye color. Or a fabulous body and sexy looks. Tell me once — or better yet, show me — then spare me future rhapsodies. Maybe the reason I don’t use voice as part of a character’s attraction is because it’s hard to hear while we read. Yet, I hear as I read. I use tone of voice often to show emotion.

What appeals to you about men that can be used in a book? What turns you into a puddle? Matt Damon was People’s Sexist Man of the Year. As much as I admire him, he’s not on my list. Neither is Brad Pitt. George Clooney is on my extended list because I love his sense of humor and his interest in making the world better. And he has a good voice too. ;)

Does voice count for you or is it strictly looks? Or is it the whole package, like George Clooney? And have you ever noticed voice used really well in a book?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to What’s sexy to you?

1. Maria says:

Voice is a huge turn on for me. Sean Connery comes to mind in this regard. His voice can melt my hard-to-please heart every time.

Mix that with some witty dialog and I’m a goner.

2. Margay says:

I think voice is a huge part of it, not just the tone and the quality of it, but whether or not there’s an accent, too. Let’s face it, accents are incredibly sexy. I am particularly partial to the Scottish, Irish and British accents, though not necessarily in that order. I could listen to Henry Ian Cusick (the amazing actor who plays Desmond on Lost) and Dougray Scott and Michael Fassbender (have you seen Hex? he’s also in 300) all day long and just melt. I also find Julian McMahon and Alex O’Loughlin (Moonlight) swoon-worthy, even though both do American accents on tv, but are both from Australia (crikey, I love those Aussies!). Also sexy to me is the Southern accent. Maybe it’s because my father was from the South, but listen to Josh Holloway (Lost) speak for awhile and try not to melt. I dare you. But even more sexy than the way a guy speaks is what he says when he opens his mouth. And laughter – I just love to hear laughter.

Maria, so true about the witty dialogue. Alan Rickman wasn’t sexy in Die Hard, although I loved his voice then too. Maybe that’s why I put Cary Grant on the list. He was in those old movies with great dialogue.

Margay, I don’t watch LOST, but I love all the accents you mentioned. When these men speak, we know they’re not the boy next door. :twisted:

Definitely what they say can add to or subtract from their sexiness. And the more laughter the better. This isn’t a man, but Mary Murphy, the judge on “Do You Think You Can Dance,” has a great laugh. It’s the kind of laugh that makes people smile.

5. Voice is HUGE. I always tell my hubby he’s got great “voice”. :)

Jennifer, you are so lucky! I was thinking that men with deep resonating voices are probably more successful than men with thin voices. They’re probably luckier with their love life too. ;)

7. LaDonna says:

Hey Edie, I like Matthew M’s voice. It has that smooth Southern delivery, good ol’ boy charm. Give me that any day. I like the Aussie accent too. :smile:

LaD, Matthew M’s voice is part of his appeal. His body isn’t bad either. :cool:

9. Cynthia Eden says:

Oh, I love a deep voice–that’s one of the reasons I’m such a fan of Vin Diesel! Love that deep, rumbling voice.

Cindy, deep, rumbling voices are the best. They go right through me. I have a new male character in my wip, and I gave him a low, resonating voice. He’s not the hero, but my heroine might have some fun with him. ;)

LOL Kath, you can be succinct. Sting is smart too. Love his music and lyrics. He has it all.

12. Michelle says:

Edie, I agree, voice is soooo important. My husband has that ‘full-bodied’ voice, and I love it.

Michelle, you are so lucky. Your husband is lucky too to be married to you. :)

14. Michelle says:

Oh, another thing. Judging by your pics for this blog, you have a thing for men in black leather jackets as well as a sexy voice ;) .

15. spyscribbler says:

Before you write off Matt Damon, he was in a poker movie that he narrates. I fell in lust with him for his voice in that movie. :-)

I do like Johnny Depp, though, but mostly for his role in Chocolat. He’s got a sexy voice in that one. ;-)

I’m a voice person, too. And, so few men stand up to Ranger. I’ve got a Ranger obsession.

Michelle, you would notice that. It’s true, the guys look sexier in leather. In one batch of pictures, Gerard Butler was wearing a white suit. That did not look sexy at all.

17. Karin Tabke says:

My husband has a deep manly voice that continues to give me shivers. Give me a man with a deep resonating voice in any accent and I will happy.

Spy, I don’t write off Matt Damon. He’s an excellent actor. But he doesn’t have a rumbling voice that melts me just listening to him. Same with Johnny Depp, though I lusted after him in Chocolat, too. He was incredibly sexy in that movie.

Er, I had noticed your Ranger obsession. ;)

Karin, there are a lot of lucky romance writers! My husband has a normal range voice, but he has other attributes. :grin:

20. TMI ALERT: “My husband has a normal range voice, but he has other attributes.” ;)

Kath, I was talking about his, uh, mechanical abilities. Yeah, that’s it.

22. natalie says:

Hey Edie I hear you on the Gerard Butler call. Alan Rickman? I keep hearing “Schisten Blitzer… shoot the glass” and “Harrrrryy Pottter” so not so much. I love the Irish/Scotish accents myself. Just the way they roll off the tongue and you know those men have got a little bit of wickedness in them (well most Irish/Scottish guys I’ve dated did).

Natalie, I even like Alan Rickman in his Professor Snape role. Besides his voice, he’s a great actor.

You’re right about the way the Irish/Scottish accents roll off the tongue. Their accents reverberate more than other accents. It’s interesting that you’ve dated Irish/Scottish guys. I just followed the link on your name to your blog and see you’re from Oz. We don’t have as many Irish/Scot guys in Wisconsin. :sad:

24. Amy Addison says:

It’s funny you mention George Cloony as being on the extended list: we were watching the Ocean’s movies the other night and I made the comment about how they were such good 40s-ish movies, same with Leatherheads. Husband agreed and I said, “You know, it’s like he could be this generation’s Cary Grant.” he’s got the looks, the voice, the talent, the je ne sais quoi,.

But I feel that way about Matt Damon, too. With both of them it’s voice, its the way they move, the way they approach their work, the way they carry themselves, the cadence of their speech. It’s hard to define, because it is NOT just looks and physical attributes (though those don’t hurt).

Edie: I disagree about Rickman in Diehard and Robin Hood: Prince of Theives. I just LOVE him as the bad boy. He does it so well because he’s got that cocky devil-may-care thing going on. That’s HOT.

As far as what makes a man sexy in a book? For me, it’s when they walk that alpha line without becoming an a@@hole but maintain their sense of humor and confidence.

Amy, in a comment by Cynthia Eden in a different blog she said the same thing about Alan Rickman in Robin Hood. I was so put off by Kevin Costner’s performance, I couldn’t watch the whole movie. I haven’t seen Leatherheads yet, but I will as soon as it’s on DVD. I’m guessing it’s the kind of movie I like. I agree that he’s this generation’s Cary Grant. And Matt Damon is a great actor, he just doesn’t make me melt.

That’s a great definition of a hero. The one in my wip has all of that. :)

In my opinion, Alan Rickman MADE the Robin Hood movie. I agree regarding Kevin Costner’s performance. P-U. But I watched it for Rickman’s role in it.

Add Hugh Jackman to that list of sexy voices. Got the voice, the looks and that Aussie accent. Delicious!

Funny you mention Cary Grant. I just watched “Father Goose” the other night. Not his normal fare but I consider it his best movie.

Sean Connery’s voice will always make my heart go pitter patter, but the man himself? No. I heard that same interview you mentioned. Total turnoff.

Liz, I’ll have to go back and watch Robin Hood. Maybe the next time it’s on cable. I love Alan Rickman’s performance in Love Actually. He and Emma Thompson are so believable together.

I forgot about Hugh Jackman. Don’t know how that lapse of memory happend. He’s got it all too. He’s even a cancer cell fighter. And a damn good one. :mrgreen:

I think my favorite Cary Grant movie is North by Northwest. But he’s been in so many good ones, it’s hard to choose one.

28. natalie says:

Ah Edie, we get a lot of Doctors from the UK over here, and while I was working my way through university I had the opportunity to date several irish guys, a couple of scottish ones, and a welsh/english guy here and there. Most were adorable, here for a short time, intelligent, with money, and know their way around the human body. Ahhh the memories. Maybe one day I’ll use one as a hero… lol, or I could just keep the memories to myself in case my kids ever read my books….
    thanks for stopping by my blog.

Natalie, I knew I lived in the wrong part of the world. Your dating life sounds a lot more interesting than mine was. Definitely use those guys in a book. And let me know. I’ll read it. :)

30. Rebecca/Kate says:

AH, Edie! I was just passing by and when I scrolled down, what to mine eyes did appear but two of my favorite sexy guys!

Thank you for the eye candy. From the bottom of my heart. :)

Speaking of… I found a new one yesterday. I’d never heard of him before, but boy, was he pretty! Raoul Bova. Hubba hubba. :)

Becky, I’ve been missing you! I stop by your blog often to see if you’ve updated. I guess you’re still wildly busy.

Glad you enjoyed the eye candy. As I wrote it, I remembered you’re a Alan Rickman fangirl. I just googled Raoul. He’s an Italian. Another guy with an accent. :)

32. Rebecca/Kate says:

Aw, thanks, Edie. I am so busy right now and so far behind that I think I’m ahead. I just now got finished turning in one work project and still have more to go, then have to be at the train at 5:30am to start all over tomorrow. :(

Becky, I hope you’re spared the awful weather by you. Maybe one of these days you’ll have less work and more money. Soon! I’m sending good thoughts to you.