Just for fun

Last Thursday, Sarah Parr guest blogged with us about playing the “what if?” game. Asking what if we brought zombies, or dead people, back to modern day life. I went on Twitter and asked “What dead person would you like to resurrect and talk to?” Then I pasted in the blog link.

My Twitter is set up so all my Tweets go straight to my Facebook account. Because I phrased it in a question, friends answered it on Facebook. Next time I’ll make it clear that I’m linking to a guest blog, but I’m glad I did it this way, because it gave me an idea. Half the commenters said they’d like to talk to a dead writer: Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Virginia Woolf, Louisa May Alcott, Anne Frank (that last was me).

The other half were relatives, but that first half made me think, “why not?” instead of “what if?” Lainey Bancroft recently raved on her blog about ACCORDING TO JANE by Marilyn Brant. In this book, Jane Austen is in a bookish woman’s head and guides her through “dating mishaps with wit and wisdom.” (I’m quoting from Lainey’s blog.)

My first thought was “not another Jane Austen in modern times book.” My second, after reading Lainey’s blog about the book, was “I want to buy this book!” So now I’m thinking, why just Jane? Why should she get all the page time? Why not the other famous writers people mentioned? What if we take those dead characters and resurrect them in our books?

I’d love to have Anne Frank in the head of one of my characters. Her diary vibrated with her zest for life. I can imagine her wanting to vicariously experience life in the twenty-first century through a fictional character. And what if she comes back with a bit of post traumatic stress? In addition to her love of life, there’d be a dark edge. (I’m getting ideas as I type.)

Or what if you used characters from your favorite books? Carrie Bebris writes Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries. Why not mysteries with the March sisters from Little Women? Or Charles Dickens’ characters — perhaps Scrooge or Tiny Tim.

Instead of authors or their characters, what about movie stars or sports stars? This has been done in mysteries, but why not expand this to romance? Why not let Marilyn Monroe give dating advice? In her own way, she could do as well as Jane Austen. Where Jane compares a bad boy crush to Mr. Wickham, Marilyn could compare him to JFK.

I don’t know if I’ll ever do this, but I do feel like I have ideas for future books cooking in my brain. Just for fun, if you did something like this, who would you pick and how do you think you’d do it? Romance? Mystery? Paranormal?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Just for fun

1. Kath Calarco says:

I love stories like that! One of my favorite novels is Sleeping With Schubert by Bonnie Marson, a tale about a thirty-something woman whose soul is suddenly occupied by Schubert, and suddenly she becomes a musical phenomena. It was cool.

I’d think I’d like a story showcasing the original Count Dracula, Bram Stoker’s version. I think Drac’s quest to be with his beloved was GORGEOUS, yet the surface merely scratched, the main plot all about eternal darkness. To me, Drac was all about eternal love. Why not have Drac possess the soul of an advice cloumnist who is losing fans? He takes up residence and suddenly her column experiences a re-birth, and is re-named “Love Bites!” ;)

Kath, write that book! I think it would be wildly popular.

3. Mary Jo says:

Edie,

That’s a fantastic idea and also similar to the “Idea” of Julia Child that resided in Julie’s head in Julie and Julia.

I loved Little Women and the Jo part of my name came from my mom who loved her too.

Great post.

Mary Jo, Little Women is one of my all-time favorite books. I love it that “Jo” is after the Jo in the book.

5. Michelle says:

Great idea, Edie :) And Kath, that’s a fantastic idea. Write it!

As to who I’d use? No question. Chaucer. For his sly wit and piercing insight into the human condition, he’d be a riot in the 21st century.

Michelle, when I get a chance, I’m going to research Chaucer. He sounds like a guy who would make an awesome character in a book.

7. Edie, thanks so much for mentioning my book here. (I’m mentioning your mention in my blog post this morning! ;) ) I love your idea of having other authors — or their most famous characters — vising new heroes or heroines in a book. I do know of stories involving Dracula and Frankenstein that are coming up… Lainey reminded me of Anne of Green Gables. I think Anne’s advice to other young girls could be hilarious!

8. LaDonna says:

Hey Edie, great blog! :wink: Let’s see, I’d really love to meet up with some cool Celtic gals from days gone by. Those ladies were wise and valued loyalty; and I think they led their clans in spirit. Who doesn’t love a wise woman?

Marilyn, I’m so glad you stopped by. I bet a book with Anne of Green Gables as a character would do very well. Can you imagine all the moms and grandmoms who would buy it for the child — and then read the book themselves. :lol:

10. Theresa says:

Edie,

Wow, this blog is so timely. I’ve been toying with a book centered around the 2012 endtimes predictions.

Wouldn’t it be great to have Nostradamus sneak into someones mind. . .

LaD, a wise Celtic woman would be perfect for your books. You go!

Theresa, that’s a great idea to put Nostradamus in your book. There are so many ways you could go with that.

13. Kath Calarco says:

Edie and Michelle, thanks for cheering me on. you guys rock! I’ve always been a sucker for Dracula, lol. And now I’m starting to focus on coughing up a story rather than going to classes. (I will not drop out, I will not drop out, I will not drop out…)

Kath, no, don’t drop out! But in your spare time you can scribble notes for that story…

15. Robin says:

Hi, Edie! Loved reading this! And I love this idea – don’t know who I’d cast, but there’s a lot of worthy figures.

Kath – getting writing! Your idea is great!

16. Kath, love the idea! I’d buy the book.

Okay, Marilyn, you take Anne (you’re sweeter than me, you’d do her justice)

For me, Mae West! “I’m no angel, but I’ve spread my wings a bit.” Genre, hmm, could be a great steamy romance or a sinfully funny chick lit/lady lit.

Thanks for the linky love, Edie. And the ideas. :)

Robin, there’s almost too many people to think of. Makes casting hard.

Lainey, I should have thought of Mae West. She’d be a natural for either of those genres.

Great blog, Edie and you’re makin’ me think. Not a good thing at this time of day. Let’s see … I’d have to go with paranormal but am not coming up with anything clever. Would have to go with Jules Verne actually witnesses what the future brought and how it compared to his musings.

Love Kath’s ideas, though.

Liz, how fun! I would never have thought of Jules Verne. I’m loving all these answers. What a bunch of creative people!

21. Kath Calarco says:

You guys are making me all misty over you. Thanks for the thumbs up Liz, Robin and Lainey! My muse is starting to rustle her wings (Yes, she flies. Maybe you’ve noticed my flighty-ness).

Edie, I’m following your suggestion, writing down notes as well as purchasing the actual Stoker version of Dracula.

Kath, this is so cool! When this many people are excited about an idea, you’ve got something really good.

23. Karin Tabke says:

the person above all persons i’d want to meet is Jesus. but not sure how i’d write a romance in His POV!

24. Excellent idea, Kath! I know I’d certainly buy a book where Dracula was the advice columnist. Are you kidding me? That would be a riot. :)

As for what character I’d like to talk to? I’d love to take Forrest Gump and John Coffee and put them in a murder mystery. Talk about fun and hiliarity all rolled up into one. Of course, they’d always save the day whether it be intensional or not.

Karin, it wouldn’t be your usual romance, that’s for sure! But I bet it would be awesome.

Marica, I googled John Coffee and there are several. I’m guessing the one you’re referring to is from The Green Mile. You have an interesting mind. ;)

27. Can’t think of anyone in particular but it would definitely have to be a romance or chick lit type book. Man, damn you Edie, now my mind is churning! I won’t be able to sleep! lol

Lori, too funny. Maybe you’ll dream about a character tonight.

29. londonmabel says:

For the Jules Verne fans, check out the old tv show The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne.

30. Beth Watson says:

I’m late to the game here, sorry. But I’d love to chat with Oscar Wilde. I think he’d make a great character in a book, trying to help a struggling writer pen a best-selling romantic comedy!

31. londonmabel says:

If you like mysteries, there’s a series where Oscar Wilde is the detective. I haven’t tried them though.

Mabel, I vaguely remember that Jules Verne show. I don’t remember one with Oscar Wilde. Sounds like it would be fun.

Beth, Oscar Wilde would be great! He’d give snarky dating tips, too. :lol:

34. londonmabel says:

Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance: A Mystery by Gyles Brandreth

Mabel, I’ll check this out. I know a lot of mysteries have used celebrities.

36. Beth Watson says:

I saw a movie with Oscar Wilde’s spirit giving love advice to a guy in Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris. The movie is called Je t’aime and was French subtitled.

Thanks for the book recommendation Mabel.

I’m liking the idea of him helping a struggling writer, more and more…