Laughter for the Holidays – Jingle Hells by Misty Evans

Do you love holiday stories? I do. When we read about a character’s crazy holiday shenanigans, we can relate. We connect with them. The stress and craziness of the holidays in real life is humorous and engaging in fiction.

While writing JINGLE HELLS, the sequel to WITCHES ANONYMOUS, my light paranormal romance about a bad witch trying to go good, the timeline fell over Christmas. I don’t usually incorporate holidays into my stories, but this time, I couldn’t resist.

Amy, my main character has never celebrated Christmas, but this year, her boyfriend Adam, who just happens to be THE Adam (as in the original Adam who’s back on Earth for a redo) does. So on top of trying to complete Step 2 of WA, solving her latest biblical mystery, and running her ice cream shop, she has to become Santa to Adam. The tagline for the book is: “Christmas is going to be hell this year” and that sums it up exactly!

I had a lot of fun writing this sequel, the holiday element adding a nice bonus to the story and an extra layer of fun for me. For today’s blog, I’m including an excerpt and giving away a copy of JINGLE HELLS to one lucky commenter. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

JINGLE HELLS by Misty Evans
Excerpt — On the First Day of Christmas

My name is Amy Atwood and I slept with the Devil.
Literally.
Two days before winter solstice, Christmas lights blinked red and green on the snow-covered sidewalks of my hometown of Eden. Bing Crosby’s voice assured us he’d be home for Christmas. The air was brimming with anticipation.
Anticipation and, at least for me, lust. Deep yearning drove me to stare into the brooding, sexy-as-hell eyes of the Devil through the plate glass door of my ice cream shop. His evil energy beckoned to me like the Dove chocolate stored in the pocket of my orange and black, anti-Christmas apron. Blazing heat rose in my cheeks and spread through my veins, rich, tantalizing and blissfully delicious. A tiny wisp of magic unfurled in my chest, reaching for him.
Lucifer’s magic seized on it. One corner of his mouth rose in a familiar, cocky grin. “Let me in, witch.”
With every ounce of willpower I could summon, I shook my head. “I’m not a witch anymore. And we’re closed.”
“It’s seven o’clock. You don’t close ’til ten.”
“Witches Anonymous meeting here tonight.” I flipped the sign on the door and tapped it for good measure. “Now go away.”
Drawing back my disobedient magic, I forced my hand to turn the key in the lock. The sound of the deadbolt snapping into place broke the enchantment Luc had on me. My body moaned in response. It wasn’t going to rock around the Christmas tree with him that night.
One thing about the Devil, he’s persistent. Luc could have shattered the glass or flipped the lock open without moving a muscle. Instead, as I turned my back on him, he invaded my personal space in a much less direct but equally strategic way. His voice now registered in my head, tingling the nerves at the base of my skull as if he were breathing on my bare neck. I know Adam left you.
“He didn’t leave…” I stopped myself from finishing. Adam, my hunky heaven-sent boyfriend, had left me, but not the way Luc made it sound.
I glanced at Keisha, the shop’s manager and my best friend, who was leaning against the stainless steel sink behind the counter. She was there the day I met Luc in Paris, at the base of the Venus di Milo, and she knew our torrid history together. Knew how he’d broken my heart. Still, her attention was riveted on him, her mouth open and her eyes glazed with merry lust.
Another tingling sensation lifted the hairs on the back of my neck. He’s not coming back to you.
I whirled around and pinned Luc with the snake-eye look I practiced in the mirror for just such occasions. Get out of my head. Get out of my life.
For a single heartbeat he tried to enchant me again, but I can be as persistent and stubborn as he is. I braced the wall I’d built around my magic and stood my ground.
His face hardened, his eyes went cold, flat. My pulse kicked in reflexive fear, but in the next second, he shimmered out of sight without a sound.
Yep, Christmas was definitely going to be hell this year.

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Misty's Posts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Laughter for the Holidays – Jingle Hells by Misty Evans

1. GREAT excerpt, Misty! I can only imagine the fun you must have had with this story.

Glad you enjoyed it, Michelle. This series is a hoot to write and very different from my rom suspense stories. I like taking a break from those once in awhile!

Loved the excerpt! I love your take on the devil and on Christmas. Who knew the devil could be so sexy? This is on my Kindle and I’m eager to read it.

Thanks, Edie! I personally don’t enjoy Christmas as much as I used to so it was fun to channel some of that into Amy. And I always have fun with Lucifer!

5. Oh, that was awesome! I’m going to have to get this series ASAP. I love funny biblical takes in stories. (“Lamb” by Chris Moore and “Good Omens” by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett are two of my all-time favorite books.)
    This sounds right up my alley. :)

6. Cynthia Eden says:

I have got to read this!

Turning Biblical stories upside down is my specialty, Kate! I like to put a spin on them and make it humorous. The best way to defeat the devil is with laughter. :evil: :grin:

Hi Cynthia. I hope you do read it and let me know what you think!

9. JoAnn says:

I loved this excerpt! Got my attention and now I want to read the whole book! Thanks so much!

Hi JoAnn! I’m thrilled it got your attention. We all need a good laugh around the holidays. ;-)

11. Cute excerpt.

I miss light, humorous paranormal. I can take “dark and dreary” only so long!

That does it. I’m getting an eReader.

Hi Cyndi! I love my ereader (Kindle). Especially when I can carry all kinds of my favorite authors’ books and read anywhere I go! Maybe Santa will come early for you. I’ll put in a good word with the big guy. :lol:

13. CopperGoddess says:

:twisted: Misty, will Jingle Hells be available in other formats besides Kindle? I have the first book and would like to have the second one as well.

14. Fedora says:

Hi, Misty! I love the premise of your story! How did inspiration strike for this one? And I really enjoy holiday stories–this is definitely going on the TBB!

Yes, CopperGoddess, eventually. As soon as I can figure out Smashwords and Pubit! (Barnes and Noble). I’m so non-techy, it’s a …challenge…for me to upload books on my own and not bring down the internet in the process. :oops: What format are you looking for?

• CopperGoddess says:

pdf is fine for me. I just have a problem with the Kindle not having a SD slot card. I want to have the ability to load my books but not weigh down my reader.

Hi Fedora! The premise for this story grew organically out of Amy’s first adventure in Witches Anonymous and the pretense that the second step in the WA program had to deal with believing a higher power could restore her sanity. My editor didn’t like the plot line for Amy’s sister, Emilia, dangling out there at the end of the first book, but I knew I would use it in this sequel. Some of the rest of the plot came directly from conversations I had with Amy and Luc. Yep, lots of voices in my head!

17. Nana Malone says:

God, I love this story. I gotta say, Amy is one of the best characters you’ve ever written.

Hugs,
    Nana

Hi Nana! Thanks for the compliment! I sort of like Amy too. hehehe. She gives me an outlet for all my naughty witch-isms.

19. Donnell says:

I own Jingle Hells, I own Witches Anonymous and every other book Misty Evans writes ;) Whether she’s spying around D.C. or practicing her snake-eye look with the devil, she always guarantees a fun/intriguing read. So DQ me from the drawing, but count me a fan. Thanks! :razz:

Aw, thank you, Donnell! You’re an awesome fan!

The next Witches Anonymous story will be a prequel – just a short story – about how Amy met Lucifer in Paris at the base of the Venus di Milo statue. I’ll have it on Amazon for .99 this month. Hope you all enjoy it.

21. Pamk says:

wow sounds like a really fun read. Is this a short story, novella, or novel length?

22. Wow, that was So intense. :twisted: I had to use the devil smile face- or is that a grimace? I wrote my first Cmas themed short story last month and it was so much. Ahem…I’m willing to bet wasn’t as steamy as Jingle Hells. LOL

• Misty Evans says:

Hi Brenda! Don’t you love the devil :twisted: :evil: I just couldn’t resist ‘em!

As far as heat level, it’s impossible to write about Luc without pouring on the heat! However, these are light paranormals, so the romance is light as well.

Hi Pam. Both Witches Anonymous and Jingle Hells are novellas, running around 20-22 k words. A fast read when you need it!

24. Another REALLY GREAT excerpt, Misty! So funny and fast-paced, I just wanted to keep going — which is exactly how I felt after reading a segment of Witches Anonymous! Plus, you’ve finally given me an excuse to use the “devil” emoticon: :twisted: Thank you!

Hey Misty. Just got done reading “Witches Anonymous” the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly. Looking forward to the sequel since the first story was left hanging a bit. Very cruel. :lol: Great excerpt.

• Misty Evans says:

Haha, Liz. I had to leave a little hanging so readers would be anxious to read the next story in the series! Thanks for reading WA and I hope you enjoy JH!

26. LaDonna says:

Okay, Misty, you totally got me! I can’t wait to put this on my Kindle…coming soon on holiday waves of Falalala. :cool: This is just the type of story I’ve been looking out for. Great excerpt too.

• Misty Evans says:

LOL, LaDonna. I’m glad you liked the excerpt. During the holidays, when you’re stressed to the max, it’s nice to have a humorous short story to lift your spirits. Hope you like it!

The winner of a free ecopy of JINGLE HELLS is……

COPPERGODDESS!

Email me at misty@readmistyevans.com and I’ll send you a pdf, CopperGoddess!

Thanks again to everyone who came out to talk about the :twisted: yesterday!

28. Pingback: Tweets that mention Laughter for the Holidays – Jingle Hells by Misty Evans | Magical Musings -- Topsy.com