Post-Thanksgiving Thank-Yous

Today is “Black Friday” here in the States, but I won’t be out shopping. Don’t worry, I’ve done my part to help the economy already. (This year I vowed I’d get most of my Christmas shopping done in November!) Thing is, I’ve never been able to wrap my mind around the idea of waking up in the dark hours of the morning so I can stand outside a store — in the cold, wind and sometimes SNOW! – only to get bruised and elbowed as hordes of customers fight to squeeze through a door, race inside like a pack of rabid teens at a Miley Cyrus concert and grab whatever electronic gadget or nifty gizmo is on super sale today for One Hour Only.

No. Way.

Instead, I’m staying in bed until a decent (late) hour…then, I’m staying inside my cozy little house for the whole rest of the day. I’m making a pot of hot cinnamon spice tea. I’m eating leftover turkey and stuffing (and mashed potatoes and corn and salad and maple-syrup-glazed sweet potatoes and pumpkin ice cream and…). I’m watching mindless TV programming or some fun DVDs (I do believe it’s time once again for all 6 hours of “Pride & Prejudice” with Colin Firth :razz:) and I’m listening to music I like. I’m also saying my Post-Thanksgiving Thank-Yous.

Thanks for the abundance of leftovers. Thanks for the warm house to stay in. Thanks for the choice to sleep late if I want to and the opportunity to be a lazy little being all day long. Thanks for the time spent with family and friends in the week leading up to this day. Thanks for their good health and for ours. Thanks for the joy of getting to share the stories that mean something to me with readers everywhere. And thanks to all the authors and friends — online and in person — who have been supportive, encouraging and kind all year long…and have given me new novels to enjoy, new posts to read, new thoughts to consider since last Thanksgiving weekend.

Whether or not you live in the States or celebrate this holiday, I’m saying thank you to you…and wishing you many good things to be grateful for in the coming months!

Do you have a blessing you find yourself especially appreciative of this weekend? I’d love to hear…

About Marilyn Brant

Marilyn Brant is a chocolate addict, a music junkie and the USA TODAY bestselling author of ACCORDING TO JANE (2009), FRIDAY MORNINGS AT NINE (2010) and A SUMMER IN EUROPE (2011), all from Kensington Books, as well as a number of light romantic comedies, including THE SWEET TEMPTATIONS COLLECTION (2013) and PRIDE, PREJUDICE AND THE PERFECT MATCH (2013). Her latest novel -- a coming-of-age romantic mystery called THE ROAD TO YOU -- was just released in October 2013!
This entry was posted in Marilyn's Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Post-Thanksgiving Thank-Yous

1. Amy Atwell says:

Good morning, Marilyn! What a lovely day you have planned. I’m sipping coffee and after all the work and food and people and food and planning and food and football and food that was yesterday, I’m giving thanks for a quiet morning where no one has specific expectations of me. For a few hours today, I can do whatever I want. Hmm, that Pride and Prejudice marathon is sounding pretty appealing….

Like you, I think it’s important to take a few minutes to reflect on the many things we take for granted. For me, it’s general good health among my family, that my marriage is still happy after 20+ years, that somehow we scraped together the money to pay the property taxes again this year. So often, I tend to get lost in the daily “irritants.” Those things that make me react as if my life is in a crisis when, in fact, they’re just petty annoyances. The driver who cut me off. The receptionist who put me on hold then forgot me. The cat who threw up a fur ball on my dry clean only sweater. On a day like today, it’s good to put things in perspective. Thanks for reminding me!

• Amy, you’ve had so much going on with your book release that it’s hard, I think, not to get swept up into the daily annoyances that come with being so busy. I’m so glad you get a quiet, expectation-free morning!! You deserve it! And, hey, my door is always open if you want to stop by for any part of my P&P marathon… I’ll make popcorn. :razz:

2. Oh, that day sounds heavenly, Marilyn! You’ve got so many of my favorite things right there: hot cinnamon tea, Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, mashed potatoes, cozy house… sigh… :)

I am thankful that I get to work from home today instead of going out in 18 degree weather. And Black Friday shopping – no way! Only if it’s online. :)

• Kate, you’re more than welcome to come over for the P&P marathon, too!! I’m glad you get to do your work from home today and avoid the cold. Here, the sun is deceptive in trying to lure me outside — it’s so pretty and bright — but I know it’s a chiller out there and I won’t be fooled. ;-)

3. Carrie Lofty says:

I thought about braving the Black Friday crowds for all of four minutes, then decided to see if Amazon had what I needed. Sure enough! So instead of waking up at the crack of dawn and elbowing my way through a Wal-Mart, I slept in to the deliciously late hour of 10. I guess that means I’m thankful for my DVR, because it kept the girls occupied!

I am thankful, as always, eternally, for my friends and family. The people in my life are my greatest blessing. Without them, no success and no joy is worth experiencing and no sorrow is possible to survive.

Luck and love and happiness to you, Marilyn!

• Carrie, I love what you said about the people in your life making the joy and success worth experiencing and the sorrow possible to survive… I couldn’t have expressed it better. Glad to hear you got to sleep in, too (what sweet girls you have!) and that Amazon fulfilled your shopping needs (I am indebted to Amazon myself for over 1/2 of my Christmas gifts :smile: ). Wishing you all the best, too. xoxo

4. Mary Jo says:

Marilyn,

I’m thankful for some many things. But mostly for my family and friends–without those I’d not be the woman I am, the writer I try to be, the wise woman who follows in the steps of those wise women who taught me.

Great post. Giving thanks should happen everyday. If we did that more often, I think we’d all be happier. :-)

• Mary Jo, you’re so right about how we should give thanks daily. I’ve been way too inconsistent on it, but I have a gratitude journal and have for a dozen years tried to write down the things I’m thankful for. Sometimes I manage to do it every day, other times it’s…less frequent ;-) , but I think taking that time to say thank you for the good things really helps us put the focus on the positive. And I think, when we do that, more positive things tend to appear in our lives.

Your day sounds perfect to me, Marilyn! I die if I went out in the crowds today. No way I want to drive in the traffic and fight the crazy people to save a few bucks.

I’m thankful to be in warm, sunny Florida instead of cold, dreary Illinois. We went to the beach yesterday after lunch and dug up shark teeth!

• Misty, being that I’m someone who’s currently living in cold (if not actually dreary today, thank goodness) Illinois — LOL! — I’m definitely envying your warm, sunny Florida. :razz: We were in lovely Sarasota for a week in June and have friends who are there right now. Much as I loved visiting the beach in summertime, I would jump at the chance to dig up shark teeth in the sand right now. Next time, I hope you find one for me!!

6. I am so with you on the “no way” of venturing out of doors today.

Obviously, I’m grateful to have been on this crazy twisting journey that culminated with the latest book’s publication. And I’m also quite grateful for the camaraderie and friendship I’ve found on this blog and in the writing world.

Also… pie. I’m very thankful for pie. ::nods:: :razz:

• Barb, you know I’m thrilled for you, having reached the release date for this book… And, yes, to the writing world and blogosphere camaraderie, too!! I didn’t realize when I first started blogging a few years ago how much I’d come to love getting to know people online ;-) . But talk of pie? You’re speaking my language… I’ve had pumpkin and apple already this week but am VERY grateful for the French silk that I know is still to come!

7. florence says:

I would say ditto to most of the things we are or should be grateful for. I have always made the joke we should especially be grateful for where we were born. Being a first generation Italian the one thing that has always given me great joy, were the richness of the people in Brooklyn where I grew up. I have loved the Itlian Thanksgiving, complete with lazagna, the Irish with a side of roast beef and my Puerto Rican pals with a pork dish (I spell it phoenitally since I can’t spell) “Pineel,” … to my Southern gals who add mac and cheese and potato salad to our Jamaican neighbors who add curry ghoat. Each of these on the side with the traditional turkey in the center of the table.

And to quote the greatest “dame” of them all, Aunti Mame: “Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death.”

Enjoy the aftermath, the joy of leftovers and a bit of peace and quite.

• Florence, thank you! My husband is 1/2 Italian, and he once told me that he was a teen before he realized that not everyone had lasagna and ravioli as part of their Thanksgiving dinners. :razz: And I *love* the sound of your multicultural Thanksgiving cuisine — ohhhh, yum!!!! Hope you enjoy the aftermath of the holiday, too, and are able to get in a little relaxing time as well…

I’m so grateful to the support of my writing friends as I venture into indie publishing. And right now, I have the worst cold I’ve had in years, and I’m grateful that my husband is taking care of everything. I got the cold from him, and mentioned that when his cold was at the worst, I made chicken soup, chili, and mac and cheese for dinner. (Not on the same day.) So tomorrow he’s making chicken soup for me.

I’m sure it will taste wonderful.

• Oh, Edie, I’m so sorry to hear you’re sick… I hope you’ll recover quickly (may your husband’s chicken soup have healing properties!). Sometimes I’m lucky and manage to skate by on a cold I caught from my husband or son, getting a lighter version of it because I pop vitamin C tablets like they’re M&Ms during the cold & flu season ;-) . But there have been other times that I’ve gotten hit hard regardless, and all that works then are warm dinners, chocolate and lots of sleep. Sending virtual truffles and a big hug your way… xo

9. Marilyn, your day sounds so wonderful. Cosy and snug. We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, obviously, but taking a day to be thankful for things has always struck me as an excellent idea. I am grateful for the truly amazing support and friendship I have from my online writing friends, yourself included, my family, and my great editor and agent, who really seem to love my work. I’m seriously grateful for that! :)

• Michelle, having people who believe in us and are guiding forces in this frequently confusing and chaotic industry is a huge blessing, and I’m so glad to know you’ve got that kind of support. I *can’t wait* to read Illuminations next year!!! :razz:

Great list of things to be thankful for, Marilyn. I agree with all of them.

I cannot think of any reason to go out on Black Friday. If I were after some really big ticket items …. maybe, but you’d have to hold a gun to my head. I actually stopped at a couple of places (avoiding the malls) and they weren’t mad/crazy/nutzoid busy at all.

Hope everyone had a terrific Thanksgiving holiday.

• Liz, hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, too!
      I found myself tempted by a couple of big-ticket items this year…well, one really big one: a large HD flat-screen TV — because both of our TVs are very old 15-20 year-old models (with antennas!). But I know we don’t really need it, so I resisted…for now… ;-)

11. Deb Maher says:

Thank you, Marilyn, for a warm and lovely post that speaks to all. (I actually braved Black Friday to pick up a store buster vacuum for my son’s relatively new apartment & a new office chair for my home office. Good buys and worth the lines.) My thanks, too, to my fellow writers on Magical Musings and elsewhere. Knowing you are all there make me feel less alone in my struggles. :smile:

• Deb, thank YOU so much for stopping by! I’m glad you got some excellent deals (and way to go finding a good office chair ;) ). Thanks so much for your comment about us helping you feel less alone in your struggles. It works both ways. For me, knowing I get to share all the ups and downs with my fellow writers and everyone who visits this blog has made things much easier. Our online community is a lifesaver for me somedays… Wishing you a wonderful week!!

12. LaDonna says:

Marilyn, sorry I’m late to the party! We ended our Thanksgiving celebration today, and my daughter and I made hot crescent rolls stuffed with saugage and bacon for breakfast. So much fun, and I’m grateful for all the moments that dance through our lives! For our good health and love too….especially love.

And your Friday sounds so cozy! I plan on having several of those this week! :smile: We did shop on Friday, but we were afternooners and surrounded by the happy crowd. It was a girl’s day, and shopping with my daughter and granddaughter was a pure blessing. Loved your post, and so happy you had such a grand time too!

• You’re not late, LaDonna!! Glad to have you here. :razz: Your sausage and bacon rolls sound SO good right now! We ate dinner early and now, at 10pm, I want a snack… That would be a perfect one! But no more snacking for me — I did enough of that over the long weekend — back to eating healthfully (sigh) tomorrow. So glad to hear you had such a good holiday!!