Women in TV & Movies

I’ve whined complained blogged before about all the male dominated films that are out now, with women in mostly secondary roles. TV is better, but even there the ratio of men-vs-women shows during prime time hours are out of whack. Or perhaps I should say was out of whack?

I’m thrilled with this new season and all the shows with women in the main role. And not just there as eye candy or in a secondary role. They’re actually the person the show revolves around, like Maria Bello in Prime Suspect (remake of the UK Prime Suspect series, starring Helen Mirran). I’ve watched a couple episodes. The gorgeous Bello has to play down her looks in this gritty police procedural, and I think it’s a winner.

Revenge, with Emily VanCamp getting revenge on the ultra wealthy and greedy who destroyed her family. I’ve watched every episode so far, and I’m loving it.

Once Upon a Time isn’t on yet, but it looks interesting. Here’s the description from IMDb: “Centers on a woman with a troubled past who is drawn into a small town in Maine where the magic and mystery of Fairy Tales just may be real.” My thoughts? Fairy tales = fun.

Ringer, which is coming soon, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar. Here’s the logline: “A young woman on the run from the mob poses as her wealthy twin sister to try and evade them, but soon discovers that her sister has a price on her head as well.”

There are at least two new sitcoms with women as leads: Whitney and New Girl. There might be more, but I haven’t been into comedies lately. I write in the evening, so I limit my TV time. I love to laugh, but something has to go.

I hope this trickles down to the movies. I was at my bank this last week, trying to fix an online banking problem. The woman helping me looked to be in her early twenties. She ended up calling the online banking department. While she was on hold, I asked her about any movies she’d seen. Guess what? She hasn’t seen any all summer. I told her I wanted to rent Bridesmaids, and her face lit up. She saw that at the theater when it was out and loved it so much she plans on buying the DVD.

She’s the demographic the movies are looking for, but the movie makers lost her. Actually, they’ve ignored her. They’ve ignored more than 50% of the population. This summer, I was looking forward to seeing One Day with Ann Hathaway. Then I found out that it was an adaptation from a novel by David Nicholls, who apparently writes the Nicholas Sparks’ type books. I won’t do any spoilers here, but you know what happens to the women leads in his books.

Wouldn’t it be great if they started making more films of books by women? Cindy Carroll is going to write a screen play adaptation of Cattitude this winter, then try to sell it. I’d love to see a movie of In A Treacherous Court by Michelle Diener. I recently read an ARC of A Summer in Europe by Marilyn Brant. I’d love to see that as a movie, too. And I’d watch any movie based on a Cynthia Eden book. In fact, I can see TV series based on her books. On books by so many of my friends.

Can you think of a book you’d like to see in a movie or as a TV series?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Women in TV & Movies

1. I hardly ever watch movies, as well, Edie. And when I do watch them, I’m often disappointed.

The most surprising / strange / out there movie I watched recently was very much a strong woman’s movie – SUCKER PUNCH – but it will certainly not be for everyone. It had a Hitchcock-esque start, and then spun through a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, into epic fantasy, into WWII, into steampunk. And then back to a very Hitchcock-esque ending. A wild, very disturbing, ride. But I still think about it, and it was fascinating, so there you go. And very much a girl power movie.

Like you, I’d love to see IN A TREACHEROUS COURT as a movie :))))

And wow on the screen play adaption of CATTITUDE. What fun! I hope Cindy finds a taker for it.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Discussing scenes

• Edie Ramer says:

Michelle, right now it’s just fun to know Cindy’s going to write it. It would be a great role for an actress. And the movie would have a built-in audience of cat lovers.

Sucker Punch sounds very interesting. I’ll check to see if it’s on DVD the next time I look for one – if Bridesmaids is taken already. The last two weekends, it wasn’t available.

Hi Edie. I haven’t watched much of the new shows this fall. Ringer was disappointing to me, so I didn’t watch past the one episode. Charlie’s Angels as well. Lots of drop-dead gorgeous leads and action, but the old series is better. In fact, over the weekend, I found myself watching an Alien marathon with Sigorney Weaver. Better than any of the new stuff that was on. :)

I’d love to see all your books turned into movies, btw!

• Edie Ramer says:

Did Ringer start already? I missed it. Neither twin sounds like someone I’d want as my friend, so I wouldn’t watch it. But I like the revenge aspect of Revenge, and I feel for the main character because she was cheated out of a normal childhood. I guess I really like the bad guys getting what they deserve. I’m not a turn-the-cheek kind of woman.

Maybe we’ll both enjoy Once Upon a Time. And your books would made great movies, too!

3. I am loving Revenge! I’ve wanted to see Once Upon A Time, but I have to see if it’s on Hulu.

I loved One Day. One of my top favorite movies, but I have to wait until my life is in a happy place to watch it again. Bridesmaids was one of the most awful movies I’ve ever seen in my life. The previews were great; the movie, not. I love going to movies, but there hasn’t been a whole lot out lately. Annoying.
    Natasha Fondren`s last blog was …Let It Change

• Edie Ramer says:

Natasha, I’m just so tired of men killing off women in books/stories and becoming a best seller. I wonder if the roles were reversed and the man was dying of cancer if it would’ve been a bestseller. Maybe because I’ve had cancer, but that’s just not a movie I want to see.

Seriously, I don’t know if Nicholas Sparks is married, but I were his wife, I’d start to wonder about all his stories with the wife dying…

I didn’t watch Bridesmaids at the theater because I dislike the “dumb guys” movies, and this did seem to be a “dumb girls” one. It’s written and directed by men, I think. But except for you, everyone I know loves it, so I thought I’d try it.

At least we both love Revenge. :cool:

• That’s the movie I wanted to see! I thought it was going to dorky and funny! I SO wanted to see the movie the previews advertised! They act like it’s a comedy, but it’s actually a drama. I didn’t like the bait and switch, plus I thought the characters were cruel and selfish to each other. Maybe it’s just me, though. Let me know what you think when you see it!

I might have the movies mixed up. It’s Anne Hathaway. No cancer in it. No Nicholas Sparks. :-) It doesn’t even have a Nicholas Sparks feel, like that one this summer. There’s no illness in it at all. It’s a love story over years, more an English feel.
        Natasha Fondren`s last blog was …Let It Change

• Edie Ramer says:

Ann Hathaway is in it, and I heard she does die in the end. And it is supposed to be in England. This is confusing. lol

When we finally get Bridesmaids, I’ll let you know.

4. Jill James says:

I’m reading Virna DePaul’s Book 2 of the Para-Ops series. I could so see these as movies. The characters are all unique and real (as real as paranormal creatures are) and it is such an amazing world she has created, I would love to see it on the big screen.
    Jill James`s last blog was …Pardon My Dust

5. Mary Jo says:

Edie,

Cattitude would be a great movie! Let’s see–who could play Sorcha? Ooh, the fun of even knowing someone wants to work on the screen play. Congratulations on this news!

• Edie Ramer says:

MJ, I was thinking Kristen Bell. I think she’d make a good cat-changed-into-a-woman with an attitude. lol

Thanks! Even if nothing comes of it, it is cool.

6. CK says:

I would love to see David Webber’s Honor Harrington be put to screen or Tanya Huff’s Confederation Series with tough as nails Sgt. Torrin Kerr. I think HBO would have a field day with anything by Shelly Laurenston (sex, violence, humor, sex :) and her bat-shit crazy heroines. :lol:

7. Edie, thanks for the shout out for A Summer in Europe and HOW COOL about Cattitude being written up as a screenplay!! I can totally see that story as a film and would LOVE to get to watch it in the theater! Fingers crossed… ;) As for this season’s TV shows, I caught some of Ringer and have been wanting to see Maria Bello in Prime Suspect. I’ve enjoyed a few episodes of Body of Proof and have Once Upon a Time on my must-see list!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Versatile Blogging

• Edie Ramer says:

and have Once Upon a Time on my must-see list!

I think writers are all suckers for fairy tales. lol

If I had more time, I’d watch The Good Wife. Now that she’s split from her husband, it does seem interesting. I do watch The Closer when it’s on. And I’m a fan of Bones.

8. Hey Edie, I always enjoy your posts here! I am loving Prime Suspect and was a huge fan of the original. Actually, the only thing this one has in common with the original is the name of the MC. No problem. I think your suggestions for other movies are great. Can you just see Touchstone doing Catitude? What a snarky film with lots of feline personality.

My most recent read, The Other Life, by Ellen Meister I believe was optioned for HBO. I’m sure you’ve read it, otherwise, do so … it’s a great concept. Many of my fav mystery writers end up on TV or in big screen movies. Rizzoli & Isles based on Tess Gerritsen, Bones by Kathy Reichs. I am glued to The Closer and love the shorter format of cable series. For over thirty years I have been an avid lover of PBS Mysteries. Oh stop me. I mean how did you know I am a nut-case for film? I think watching TV and movies is as important to writers as reading. It gives us a great sense of dialogue and pacing. Thanks again :)
    florence fois`s last blog was …Agent search …

• Edie Ramer says:

Flo, how cool that you saw the original Prime Suspect. I’m a fan of Helen Mirren and would love to see one. I should see if I can get it from the library.

I had to look up Touchstone. You obviously are more knowledgeable on this subject than I am. Yes, it would be great! Right now, I’m not putting my hopes on it. It’s just something that would be cool if it happened.

I think I heard that about Ellen’s book. That’s so great. I don’t get HBO, but that’s one I’d want to watch. I think the pacing of films and use of dialogue have definitely changed books. We’re always evolving, but I think the movie people better evolve, too. Right now, I’d rather watch TV than most films that are out.

9. Maria Geraci says:

Awesome post, Edie!
    I absolutely adore Maria Bello’s character in Prime Suspect. I really hope the show does well because it’s excellent TV. Another really great show with a lead female character is The Good Wife. The lead character, Alicia, as played by Julianna Marguiles is so tightly written. I agree that the entertainment business has largely written off women’s roles to romantic comedies, etc. I think Bridesmaids is going to pave a wave for a new generation of film makers. At least, I hope so!

• Edie Ramer says:

Maria, I’m looking forward to seeing Bridesmaids. I hope movie people learn from its success that women are hungry for movies with other women. At least we have TV.

I’m a fan of Julianna Marguiles, too. I’d like to see more of it, but the first season I wanted her to loosen up and get angrier at her husband. I didn’t understand why she stuck with him. I don’t watch The Good Wife all the time, but when I do, I like her character much better now.

10. beth watson says:

Wow, thanks for the reviews on TV shows this fall Edie. I am SO far behind. I rarely watch TV unless it has to do with YA since that’s what I’ve been writing. But I find the protags in Pretty Little Liars to be pretty strong characters. :-) I do want to see the new sitcom with Zoe Deschanel. And I think you are right, female protags are getting stronger.

What book would I like to see made into a movie? Mine. :-) This post reminds me of one I wrote set in Paris. A workaholic event planner for a brewing comopany loses her promotion to a man and realizes she’ll never succeed in a good ole boy brewing company. That is one area that discrimination still runs rampid, especially in commercials, which she is determined to revamp. Anyway, not plugging my book, since it’s not even pubbed, but I could really relate to this post. (I am going to start querying this book again though.)

Thanks for the insight into TV and the thought provoking post!

• Edie Ramer says:

Beth, you should self-publish your Paris book. It’s a great premise. It might’ve been too hard a sell for the legacy pubs, but it’s something that a lot of women could relate to. And you can trot out all your contest awards.

11. Cynthia Eden says:

Aw, Edie, I love you!!!
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …Happy Ever After (And Giveaway) with Joyce Lamb

Late (as usual) with commenting, Edie. I haven’t seen any of the shows you mentioned … although I did catch a couple of minutes of Prime Suspect last night, but was too tired to continue watching.

I totally agree that women are short-shifted when it comes to juicy roles. I’d love to see more kick-ass movies with women as the main character.

• Edie Ramer says:

Liz, I know you’d love it if Cindy’s books were a TV series. And if Cattitude ever does get made into a movie, I know you’d love that, too. Just because you’re crazy about cats. lol

13. I’ve been watching Ringer and Revenge. I like both, but actually like Revenge better, which is surprising because I thought it would be the other way around. With Revenge, its interesting to me to see this woman get back at others and still be somewhat likable. Loved BridesMaids. Hated One Day.

• Edie Ramer says:

Lori, I think the writers are doing such a great job of Revenge. They’re taking out people who deserve what they get. And you have to feel for the heroine. She would’ve been a different person if not for what the others did.