Because It Made Me Smile

Meet George.  George is a lizard that was hanging in a gift shop in Cudahy, Wisconsin for about nine months to a year.  Every time I walked into that shop, I had to say hi to George.  I always told him that one day I would bring him home with me.

This past Christmas the little darlin’ told hubby how much I loved George.  His response was “Are you kidding?  Eighty bucks for something that’s going to hang on the wall and gather dust?”

Well … yes.  Why?  Because he made me smile.  Life can be pretty grim ‘pon occasion.  It’s one of the reasons we read.  To escape reality.  To take that few hours out of the day to find a little bit of fantasy.  It’s also the reason I surround myself with little whimsical things.  At the day job, if I find a cartoon in the newspaper that makes me smile, I clip it and post it on the wall over my computer.  I have little aliens loitering under my screen.  I have a pink stuffed elephant sitting on one of my speakers.  There are amusing quotes scattered around my desk.  I’ll often take a moment out of my busy day to read a few and it lightens my heart a little bit.

Reading does the same for me.  Doesn’t matter if the book is a dark urban fantasy, or a light hearted paranormal.  I can lose myself for awhile.  Same thing with movies.  Like a book, but with technicolor visuals.  It gives us a moment … a breather before we tackle the next decision or crisis.

As you can see, George now lives with me.  He isn’t hanging on my office wall yet … but he will be.  And each time I glance over at him, I’m going to smile.  How ‘bout you?  Do you have something that inevitably makes you smile.  No matter how often you look at it?

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Because It Made Me Smile

I love George! He’s perfect.

My beagle makes me smile a lot. I just love the way she looks. Of course, Belle does. I have a lot in my office that makes me smile. We have a stained glass Seasons Greeting sign in our foyer that we put up over the last few Christamses to greet people. This year I told my hubby I didn’t want to take it down. He said, “Leave it up. It’s always a season.” So we did.

One thing else that will make me smile soon. Remember the Dragonology book I bought at B&N with you a few years ago? With the beautiful dragon pictures and text on the thick paper? I cut a page out and I’m having it framed and matted. I should get it back next week, and it’s going in my living room. The girl who’s matting it was excited about it, too.

• Liz Kreger says:

I have that same book, Edie. Lots of gorgeous pictures. I can just imagine having a few framed and matted. Too bad my wall space in my home office is limited. That sounds like a good idea.

2. George is perfect! I love him. I’d want him too. Oh, come to think of it I have one similar though I bought him on a vacation so he also embodies memories of a great vacation. I have him in my living room among other whimsies which make me smile.

Great topic today, Liz. We all definitely need “Georges” in our lives to bring out those smiles. :-)

• Liz Kreger says:

Yep … George is a keeper. Can’t wait to get him up on the wall. I like that you have one that in connected with a memory, Casey. That makes it even more special. :cool:

And yes, we all need a “George” in our lives.

George is a great pick-me-up. Enjoy him, Liz!

I have lots of things around the house to make me smile. Pictures of my kids, souvenirs from trips, an Alice In Wonderland snow globe from a dear friend, etc. One of my sons is an avid origami-ist (is that a word?) and the other likes to paint, so I have many pieces of their art setting and hanging in the house. I have a self of my published books and the awards and plaques I’ve been honored with in my office. Those always make me smile too.

• Liz Kreger says:

Oh yeah … the stuff my daughter makes and pastes to my office door will always get a smile out of me. I love looking through photos and reliving the memories they invoke. Always gets a smile outta me.

4. Joe Barone says:

George has character.

5. Who doesn’t like a happy lizzard? Great find, Liz. I have a doofy ceramic piggy, short, cut with a pink ribbon on her neck, cross-eyes, happy face and she never fails to cheer me up. Keep her on the shelf above my computer ’cause happy is good :)
    florence fois`s last blog was …The Writer’s Life … Reading, Movies and Music …

6. Amy Atwell says:

George is a sweetie, Liz! I have my own lizard, but he’s a bean bag little stuffed creature (not a Beanie Baby), that I found in a gift shop in Chicago years ago. He used to hang over the edge of my computer screen to keep me company, but now he hangs out with my computer power cord on the desk. Never occurred to me to name him–plus I have to keep taking him away from the cats who tend to steal him when I’m not looking…

Yes, the Georges in our lives are *so* important!

• Liz Kreger says:

What is it about lizards? I just think they’re fun. My sister is into frogs … I do lizards. Plus I have one of those hairy little trolls hanging from my office door knob. Neked, of course. :shock:

7. George is adorable, Liz! And, yes, I have a few items like that, too — things that never fail to make me smile. Some masks, these silly crocheted butterflies with magnets on the back (they’re on our refrigerator), a handful of artsy bookmarks that I got just because I loved them…and, of course, some special drawings my son made for me. I think we need little things like that to brighten our lives. ;)
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …My "Strength"…Isn’t Exactly An Organized Office

• Liz Kreger says:

After listening to the news tonight … yeah, need something amusing. Ended up turning off the television and digging out a book. I’ve heard enough about teenages killed in senseless car accidents, murder/suicides and what not. I had to come into my home office for a “George” break.

Yes, looking at him did make me smile again.

8. I love using the gifts friends and family have given me over the years. Recipe books or kitchen equipment, earrings, other jewelry or t-shirts. Liz, that t-shirt you gave me a couple of years back, Careful! You Might End Up in my Novel. still gets a chuckle out of me, and everyone who sees me in it, every time I wear it. When I wear or use those gifts, I think of that friend, and because I’m so far away from so many of my friends and family, I love that.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Keeper of the King’s Secrets Reviewed in Publishers Weekly

• Liz Kreger says:

;-) I liked that t-shirt so much, that I went out and got one for myself, Michelle. You’re right … when I use gifts from friends, I have to smile. Particularly when I realize a lot of thought and effort went into it.

9. pictures of my granddaughter. :)
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …National Bestseller

Something else that I realized … late in the day, of course. One of the reasons I’m still with the day job. I’ve been going back and forth with bossman for the last several days. He gives me a hard time about something and I give it right back. We have fun even when we’re under the wire with a deadline … like yesterday. The man waited until the last day to put in a reply brief. That sucker wasn’t even dictated as of yesterday morning. Gives me a lot of fodder to get on his case. :lol:

11. I have an office and I try to decorate with everything I love, trinkets, pictures, photos… all things that make me smile or I think are beautiful. Recently I’ve gotten into putting up pictures of our family that are silly. Not those typical perfect pictures, but ones that make me laugh or of my son with silly faces.