Fighting The War Against Distra…Hey, look! A white rabbit!

Author Maureen Miller

Today is the day. I have an entire book to edit, but if I get up early I can make a huge dent in it.

So let’s open up the shades and get some light in here. Good, it’s raining out−the perfect weather for editing. No temptation from the sun…although I’m going to have to get out there soon and attack that flowerbed.

Okay, the laptop is booting, time to grab a cup of coffee and then I can commence.

What’s that envelope on the dining room table? Oh, the taxes! I have an appointment with the accountant tomorrow morning. Better make some photocopies.

Owww! Seriously? I stepped on a Christmas ornament hook? Haven’t I vacuumed since Christmas? I better do it now before someone else gets hurt…but first I need a Band-Aid.

Ding Dong. Hello UPS man. What? Oh, yes, I’ve heard that Urkel is going to be on Dancing With The Stars. That should be a hoot.  Thank you and have a nice day.

So what did I get? Vitamins. How boring.

Okay, coffee needs warming. 30 seconds in the microwave and I’m at my laptop and ready to attack!

Wait, first I have to tweet the Book Of The Day on JUST ROMANTIC SUSPENSE. And I absolutely must re-tweet the goings-on of all the wonderful authors.

Okay, open up Word. (Waiting for it to load). Did I make a copy of the Marriott bill for last year’s RWA Conference? I have to include that in the taxes. Let me go check.

Okay, back at the computer. Word is loaded…I’m an editing fiend!

Brrrrrrrrrmmmmm  What the heck?  The landscaping guys with the blowers are out there! There’s a monsoon outside and they’re blowing leaves around. Very productive. Let me turn on some music and maybe I can drown the noise out. It’s so distracting.

“At first I was afraid-I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side. But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong, and I grew strong…”

That’s right! I will survive. I’m shaking what my momma gave me!!  Whewww. Forget the coffee. I need something cold to drink now.

Back at the computer and I am an editing diva. Oh my, does that really say, “I’m going to go meat some friends?” Where was my head? Well, I did watch Silence of the Lambs last week.

Ding. You’ve got mail! “Would I like to guest blog on Magical Musings?” How cool! Of course I would. I better write up the blog and send it off before I forget.

Okay, back to the book.

12:00pm. I have edited meat to meet. I would call that a successful morning. Time to make lunch.

***

Readers and authors, what’s your biggest distraction? Any tips to overcome it? Maureen will be offering a digital copy of ENDLESS NIGHT to one lucky commenter today.

When Maureen is not so distracted she writes Romantic Suspense books. Her first novel, WIDOW’S TALE was a Golden Heart finalist, and the follow-up to that book, ENDLESS NIGHT is now available at Carina Press. Maureen is also the host of the JUST ROMANTIC SUSPENSE blog where she shares her love of the genre with the rest of the world.

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Giveaway, Guest Posts, Misty's Posts, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Fighting The War Against Distra…Hey, look! A white rabbit!

1. Stacy Daniels says:

OMG that is hilarious! I can totally relate!

Are you sure you’re not talking about me? lol I should be writing right now instead of reading this blog. I don’t have white rabbits, but I have 2 dogs and a cat. Built-in distractions. I’m trying to change my habits. It’s a slooooow process.

• Hi Edie. I get this from my father. He will stand up to get a cup of coffee on the counter three feet away, and six hours later he’ll sit back down with no coffee. :lol:

3. Very entertaining post! Sounds a lot like my day.

4. Amy Atwell says:

And here I thought it was just me… LOL, Maureen, you’ve captured the essence of what it means to be a writer. It’s a constant battle against distraction. For me, hands down, it’s email. If I just turn off the email program, my concentration improves ten-fold. Oh, and Twitter. Yes, by all means, I need to turn off TweetDeck. Ummm, and Skype. Because, you know, people try to IM me. And then if I leave my browser open to Facebook, there are people there who want to chat…

Honestly, I just need to open up a notebook and write longhand.

Thanks for being my guest today, Maureen! You’re such a warm and generous person…and a fabulous suspense author, too. :)

Distractions for me these days are in the form of my family. Even when they’re not home, I’m thinking of all the stuff we have to do after school, tomorrow, this weekend…blech. With 8th grade graduation around the corner, high school orientation, band concerts, school pictures, dances, etc, there’s a neverending To-Do list.

I’m escaping into my writing in order to stay sane. :lol:

• Misty Evans says:

Ha! Just read my twitter horoscope for today and it’s about – guess what? – distraction!
      Thursday, March 22, 2012 – Social distractions may turn a simple project into a complicated mix of unrelated activities today. But the Aries New Moon in your 11th House of Long-Term Goals offers you a comprehensive view of the big picture, empowering you to keep returning to your work. Ultimately, your future is up to you. Succumbing to temptations now can make your life more difficult. However, reminding yourself to concentrate will move you consistently closer to your ultimate destination. http://www.twittascope.com/?sign=3

• Thanks so much for having me here, Miss Misty. I saw your horoscope and laughed out loud!

I think you need to crank up Gloria Gaynor and unwind for a moment. (Of course, send us video footage! ;-) )

6. :lol: That sums up my days perfectly. Like Edie, I have dogs and a cat so, really, there’s no hope for me.

7. Oh my gosh, I laughed! Thanks for that, Maureen. And are you sure you aren’t snooping around my house while I try to write?
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Dangerous Sanctuary release date is here!

8. Oh my word, Maureen, have you been following me around? And I can easily prove I have the day like yours—everyday. I’m here!!! LOL! I shouldn’t be. I have a hundred other things to do other than reading your blog, including writing a blog for Just Romantic Suspense in a couple of week, but here I am, ROTFLMBO! Ooooh butterfly, gotta go. ;)
    Carmen DeSousa`s last blog was …This #SixSunday we’re heading into the vault. SHE BELONGS TO ME:

9. LOL, Maureen!! I think there are a lot of us who can relate. ;)
    For me, the biggest distraction is the Internet! if I let myself, I’d happily zip from one site to the next until I have no more work time left…
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Eating Our Way Through Europe

Thanx for a much needed laugh, Maureen. I can’t say my day is like yours since I have a day job, but even then there are countless distractions. I guess it doesn’t matter where you are.

This is why I’m finding our writer’s group Wednesday sprint writing sessions so helpful. We meet at a nearby B&N and do about three 20 minute writing sprints without distraction … just write. Last night I actually managed over 600 words. That’s a hellava lot for me. We chat between sprints to blow off steam but I really enjoy both the productivity and the company.

… Squirrel!!!

11. Dee J. says:

Maureen!
    Too, too funny! You crack me up. Every bit of that is so true! The internet is my downfall. Checking email or blogs. Like… um, now. LOL.

12. Vicki says:

:lol: I’m only laughing because I know how true it is.

At least you fixed one typo. That’s one less you need to worry about…

13. Gayle Cochrane (@GayleCochrane) says:

Urkel was on Psych the other night, and he is not the Urkel of many moons ago. Your day sounds just about perfect, besides stepping on the pesky ornament hanger. Very fun blog.

Hi there,

Oh Lord, I can so relate! How sad that we’re all the same. I feel like I’ve been editing for years.

Thanks for the laugh!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Livia Quinn is my guest at Magical Musings

15. bn100 says:

Funny post. I’m distracted by the internet.