18 Responses to Your deepest values

Edie, this is marvelous! I need to read this book (and your new stories, too!) I think you hit on all of my deepest values. Self-empowerment, family, love, protectiveness (especially when it comes to my family). I’d also add satisfaction. I need to be satisfied with the way I live my life and what I do for my career.

In my fourth Witches Anonymous book, Amy had to look at her values and morals. I already knew she was fearless when faced with danger, but it was fun to see just how resourceful she could be when it came to protecting those she cares about. I’m having the same experience with Kali in my urban fantasy series. In the second book, which I’m writing right now, she’ll be forced with choosing which of her friends will die in order to save the rest. I have no idea how she’ll get out of that one.

I love Cassie in your Haunted Hearts series because she’s so steadfast and centered even though people think she’s crazy because she can talk to ghosts. She’s accepted her gift/curse and values it, which enables her to forge ahead and help ghosts and humans alike.

• Edie Ramer says:

Misty, one thing I have on my list that I haven’t been paying attention to is Joy. It’s actually been on my list for years, and I’ve been ignoring it. I’m definitely going to make time for that.

Back at you with Amy in WA. I admire her Determination (Resolve?). I wish I could be as determined as she is not to use her witching powers. Only I’d use mine to only eat healthy foods and to exercise more.

2. Edie, I absolutely loved this post (and not just because you mentioned Parker, although, thank you!!). It brings home to me how we need to really make what we want happen. On your recommendation two weeks ago, I bought this book, and it arrived a couple of days ago. I can’t wait to read it.

• Edie Ramer says:

Michelle, I love it that Parker and Susannah are both so true to their values through the entire series. In the future I might think about my characters’ values before I start the first scene.

I think you’ll get a lot out of this book, though you’re pretty wise already.

Hi Edie,

Very timely! Values are something everyone should spend time evaluating. We think of ourselves as having high values – but are we following them? I’ve had lots of time to think these last couple of weeks while on bedrest, about my family (which I’ve always put first, but I work too many hours – so how does that work??) and my future. How I want to be remembered, what legacy do I want to leave behind.

All my own values are reflected in my characters – they have to be, my characters are little bits of me – both good and bad, LOL!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Livia Quinn is my guest at Magical Musings

• Edie Ramer says:

Dale, with a death in my family, I’ve been evaluating, too. Especially on Saturday when the entire family got together, all the good and the bad stories. I want my story to be a good one. Right now it’s too much work and not enough joy. I want that changed.

So true about our characters being little bits of me. Though I think some of them – like a character in a recent scene that I wrote – is what I could be but I refuse to be. A character who isn’t bad, but she lets fear rule her, and that’s never good. I want to let joy rule me. (Must work on that.)

Hmmm. A thinker, Edie. Not a nice thing to do to me on a Monday afternoon. In the last few books I’ve read, I think one of the most valued traits I found was that the heroines were both steadfast. If they said they were going to do something, by God, they did it.

With me, personally … trust is high on my priority list. I find that I need reliable people in my life … people I can count on. I value Family (of course) and my friends are a huge importance to me.

• Edie Ramer says:

Liz, I can tell that Family and Friends are way up on your values. There’s probably a more succinct way to put it, but I think that living your life fully is very much part of your values, too. It’s a very good one.

5. Happiness for me. I come from a long line of depressed people, I’m trying to remember what is important in life, and that’s my son and trying to make a happy and calm home for him. But to do that, I have to find it for myself first!

• Edie Ramer says:

Depression runs in my husband’s family, so I understand why Happiness is important to you. Perhaps that’s one reason I have Joy in my top 5 values. Good luck to both of us!

6. Joe Barone says:

My father used to day, “People are more important than things.” He was a medical doctor who worked with the patients in a large mental hospital. He lived that value every day. Valuing people (and that includes the ones I love in a special way) has been my core value too.

• Edie Ramer says:

Joe, what a great father he must’ve been. I can tell that about you, that you value people. It’s such a mutual value, too. When you value people, for the most part they value and respect you back.

7. I love the brave kitty pic!
    For me it’s family. I was at a business meeting last week and my friend Sylvia Day said to a mutual friend, “Karin’s greatest strength is her family, it’s also her greatest weakness because she will drop everything for them.” It’s true and hence I am always behind the deadline ball.

For the lycan in my Blood Moon Rising trilogy, survival rules the day. Survival of family.
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

• Edie Ramer says:

I love the brave one, too. I think, though, that I’d love to have chutzpah. lol

I would say the exact same thing as Sylvia about you and your family. Survival is such a primal value. It gives me chills to read it. Good one!

8. Beth Watson says:

Omigosh Edie, the cat has had 5 homes? That brought tears to my eyes. I want to read that book. It has a happy ending, right?

I guess you can tell one of my deepest values. Love and compassion for my cats or animals in general. :-)

• Edie Ramer says:

Beth, I should give this away, but it does have a happy ending. I wouldn’t want to write a story without one. Or read one.

I love all my animals, too. In addition to our cat, we have two old dogs, and I just had to take one in to the vet’s today for a lump removal. She’ll be there all day. I hate that.

9. Edie,

Spent yesterday in the hospital so I’m tardy in posting. Forgive me.

I’ve learned that my values find themselves replicated in the books I love, in the heroines and heroes I remember and love, and in my own writing. The villains or the ones who create the conflict in what I write are driven by what I hate most.

What do I value? Family, friendship, a sense of self, determination, loyalty and honesty. I try to live expressing these qualities and maintaining them in my life and in the fictional worlds I create.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …What was Grandma’s and Mom’s Secret?

• Edie Ramer says:

Casey, spending a day in the hospital doesn’t sound good. I hope everything is all right. Just from knowing you, I knew those were your values. Great ones, too.