Truisms and RT Booklovers Convention

Liz Kreger, Cynthia Eden, Edie Ramer at RT

I was at RT Booklovers Convention in Chicago the week before last. The best part is rooming with my CP and friend Liz Kreger. Second best is getting in touch with all my friends. Third is meeting new ones. (Like the Girl Scout song: “Make new friends, but keep the old…”)

Liz and I got together with quite a few Magical Musings bloggers. We had dinner and yakked for quite a while with Karin Tabke. We had a meal with Lori Brighton and ran into her and chatted several places. I kept seeing Marilyn Brant and we chatted, but we never got to sit down with her for a while.

Except for Cynthia Eden, the others weren’t there. I would’ve loved to have seen them all. If I had magic powers, I would’ve zoomed them over for a few hours. Long enough to eat with us at Giordano’s, which has the best deep dish pizza I’ve eaten. If you’re ever in Chicago, that’s the place to go for Chicago pizza.

Liz and I also had a long talk with Jennifer Estep. Jennifer is a cheese lover, and I feel bad that she missed the pizza. But I did bring cheese from Wisconsin for her. She gave me two boxes of Moon Pies that I shared with Liz. Liz and I drove to Chicago and back with the talented Elle J Rossi, who is having a novella out soon. Liz and I also got together with the brilliant Sheila Clover English, from Circle of Seven Productions. And our good friends from Wisconsin, indie author Leigh Morgan and her husband Vince Milewski.

There are more, but you know how there’s usually one story you tell people after you’ve been somewhere? Here’s mine:

I was waiting for an elevator early on when a tall, slender and georgous young woman with long blond hair yelled “Edie!” and swooped down at me to hug me.

I didn’t know who the hell she was.

She asked me about Liz, so I knew I should know her. I didn’t want to look down at her name tag, because then she would know I didn’t remember her. Right then the elevator bell dinged, and I said something and got on it. As soon as the doors closed, I hit my head with the heel of my hand and thought “Cindy!” It was Cynthia Eden. The last time I saw her was two years ago, which wasn’t that long ago, plus I’ve watched her profile video several times. I felt like an idiot.

I told her the story later and she laughed. She’s a sweetheart and for sure I’ll know her next time.

Now to truisms. I’ve talked about my son’s before: It’s all good. I remind myself of that when things don’t go the way I was hoping. I’ve used it in books, too.

Liz Kreger gave me a new one at RT. We were in our room, talking about something that I don’t remember. (Okay, our husbands.) And she said, “Men drive women crazy. They just do.”

My first reaction was to laugh. My second was to grab the sticky notepad from Loveswept and scribble it down. I told her, “Some day I’m going to put it in a book.” The some day came already. It’s in my book, STARDUST MIRACLE, which should be out next month.

What’s one of your favorite truisms? And if you run into someone and can’t remember who he/she is, what do you do?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Truisms and RT Booklovers Convention

Love it, Edie! I’m so bad at remembering people’s names. I live in a small town and our graduating class was less than 100 kids, but people I graduated with come up to me all the time and I can’t remember their name. “Hi, Misty, how are you? It’s been ages and you look exactly the same as when we graduated!” And there I am thinking, “Who the heck are you, but thanks for the compliment, I think (I’d like to believe I look better than when I graduated. LOL).” So embarrassing. I’m always happy when my husband is with me when that happens bc he remembers everyone’s name! Then I don’t look so airheaded.

I have lots of truisms! Mostly borrowed from others. Like Maya Angelou’s statement: “When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.” Boy, what a good truism that is. Also, Suzie Orman always says, “People first, then money, then things.” I say that to my kids all the time.

For your Galaxy Girls series, I can see you using the “Men don’t understand what it’s like to be pregnant/give birth.” That’s a definite truism!

• Edie Ramer says:

Misty, I can’t wait to see you in person. Soon, I hope!

I was an Oprah viewer, and I remember her saying the one from Maya Angelou often. Both truisms are winners. And the Galaxy Girls one is so true. Not just pregnancy, but periods, too.

2. Edie,

When I can’t remember someone’s name, I recently gotten to saying something like this:”I’m having a senior moment. Can’t remember your name but remember your face. Give me a sec and I’ll remember.” Usually I do remember before the last few words. I’ve decided that’s about the only good point to getting older or more seasoned.

As for a truism, “Men can’t live with them and can’t do without ‘em.” Though I’ve met several women in my lifetime who’ve chosen to stay single or lost a mate and never felt the need to look for another. I felt the same way for ten years; then I met Jim. I find myself saying this now and again and mean it at the moment but really my life would be so much worse if he weren’t around to share the sorrow and the joy. But sometimes…

I like Liz’s phrasing so much better. :-)
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …When Eagles Come Visiting

• Edie Ramer says:

Ooh, Casey, I’ll use that senior moment one next time. Honestly, sometimes I can’t think of the simplest words. And the other day I couldn’t think of Alex Trebek’s name. I knew it, just couldn’t think of it.

As for men, it’s a good thing we’re writers and can use all of this in our books. :)

3. Maria Geraci says:

Edie, love the picture! Glad you had a good time at RT. As for truisms, I am one of those people who always messes up sayings, so I would tell you one, but it would be all messed up. ;-)
    Maria Geraci`s last blog was …Girls

• Edie Ramer says:

Maria, I wish you’d been there. I would’ve loved to talk to you, too.

The picture is from Cindy on her FB page. I had taken pictures, but I can’t find the USB cord for our new camera. I left it in the plastic packaging. I should’ve told my husband, because I have the feeling he might’ve thrown it out.

4. CateS says:

So I stole this… fortune cookie reads “Marriage let you annoy one special person for the rest of your life”.. Since I’ve been annoying him for over 30 years… Remembering people’s names.. oh gosh… go with the ‘senior moment’ always… gets a laugh … There is also the problem of recognizing that you know them… but they are ‘so out of place’.. I used to work in a hospital and people would come up to me and chat…. I’d be frantically thinking… where — when— then ‘OH’ the gall bladder in the window bed…

• Edie Ramer says:

Cate, that’s too funny. I won’t tell my husband that one. He’ll keep repeating it to me. lol

Funny about “the gall bladder in the window bed.” I wouldn’t know the name either.

5. Cynthia Eden says:

LOL, Edie, you are so awesome!!! I loved talking with you and Liz and Lori! It was great to catch up.

I am so terrible with names. It seems like we all use a ton of aliases in the online world (I kept having to ask folks what Twitter handle they used–cause now I recognize people based more on those than real names!). So many people, so many faces–I think we all forget at times! (I know I do!)
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …Guest Author: Kaylea Cross (With Giveaway!)

• Edie Ramer says:

Cindy, talking to you was certainly the highlight of my RT. And now I’ve got a story about it!

I think you were just taller than I remembered you, and that put me off. Everything is height for me. lol

Hi Edie,

It sounds like you had a wonderful time at RT! I wish I’d been there. And I love the story about Cynthia. The picture is perfect, too.

Truisms? I have two. One from my grandmother, gone since a decade, who always let my grandfather win an argument, then would slide in at the last moment (to let him know he really hadn’t won) the comment – Anything for peace.

The second one is one I use almost as a mantra – This to shall pass.

Both have save my sanity over the last 25 years.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …4 books for FREE today and tomorrow!

• Edie Ramer says:

Dale, I wish you’d been there, too. I bet you would’ve been revising with me in the hotel room for a few hours every day. lol

‘Anything for peace’ is something you must do a lot of with 4 kids at home. Sometimes it’s not worth making a fuss over things. And I’ve had those ‘This to shall pass’ times in my life. And they did. :)

7. Beth Watson says:

When I would be stressing out about having to do a speech in h.s., or anything I dreaded, my mom would always say, “Don’t worry about what you can’t change.” or “Don’t worry about it until the time comes.” And “It all works out in the end.” :-) Now when I’m stressing out at work and my meeting is ready to blow up, I repeat this to myself over and over and over… “It all works out in the end.”

Sounds like RT was a great time. Wish I could have been there!

Terrific blog, Edie. Yep … it was a good time. Most of the time I’m pretty good with names but if I see someone out of context (such as one of my doctor’s nurses when we ran into her at a restaurant. It took me forever to place here. :roll: ) However, if I cannot remember a person I just tell ‘em I’m having a chemo moment. Works just as good as “senior moment”. ;-)

Truisms? Let’s see: “Men … Can’t live with ‘em. Can’t shoot ‘em”. (Can you tell I have a man theme?) and – “Courage is being the only one who knows you’re scared to death”. Got that one posted above my desk at work.

9. I forget names ALL of the time, but not faces. I’m pretty honest about my lack of name recall and just say, “I’m sorry but I brain farted, I forgot your name!”
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

10. So, so sad I didn’t get to see you all. I wish I could have been there!

11. Edie,
    I’m so glad I ran into you and Liz a few times, but I wish we would have had longer to chat, too. And I never even crossed paths with Karin and Cynthia!! How did that not happen? I got to see Lori present her workshop with Kim and Jackie, but I didn’t get to stay to talk afterward…sigh. Conferences for me are always such a blur.
    As for truisms, I have to say that the one Misty mentioned by Maya Angelou is one of my all-time favorites! And I also like “Be here now,” which is probably just more a reminder ;).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Cookies, Reviews & the Blog Hop Winner!