Back To School Blues by Misty Evans

School days courtesy of Microsoft Clipart

My twin sons begin high school next week. I’m not ready.

Don’t get me wrong. They’ll have fun, and hopefully, learn a few things. I did. High school was where I came out of my shell and learned a lot about what I wanted from life.

Every year, I have mixed emotions about my kids going back to school. The lazy days of summer are my favorite. No homework, no lunches, not too many sports practices or meets. We have coffee on the porch and talk about life. We go for ice cream any time we feel like it. We take rides in my convertible and turn the music up loud. There are pool parties, family reunions, cook-outs and sleepovers. Movies, books and fireworks.

When school rolls around in the fall, the calendar fills up. My stress level goes up. But my daily free time also increases. Thinking about the free time I’ll have later this month sends excitement thrumming through my veins. I can finish the next Witches Anonymous book and begin the fifth super agent book. I can live inside my head and listen to my characters for hours at a time. I can go the bathroom without a kid yelling, “Mom, what’s for lunch?” through the closed door.

But if I had a choice? I’d probably keep them home. Safe. Convenient. Much less stress. We’ve talked seriously about home schooling, and while I enjoy teaching…I can’t teach my own kids. Not the way they need.

Starting high school is a major transition. As I dropped them off for golf and marching band practice this week, I felt a little sick to my stomach. New teachers, new coaches, a huge building compared to the middle school. Geometry. Chemistry. Physics. Oh, my. Were they ready for this? Really ready? Was I?

The next four years loom in front of me like a dark hole. Much like when I carted them to preschool the first day, I wonder…how do I make sure we all come out on the other side safe and happy?

How about you? Do you have a love/hate relationship with the beginning of a new school year?

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Misty's Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Back To School Blues by Misty Evans

1. liz Kreger says:

Funny that you’re blogging about this today, Misty. The little darlin’ and I are going shopping today for both school supplies and clothes. She’s starting 8th grade this year so I have one more year before the dreaded highschool begins.

I think she’s a little torn between being excited with starting a new year and giving up the freedom of summer. For myself? I’m looking forward to the routine. This summer has absolutely flown by and part of me wants a do-over because I feel like I missed so much.

• Misty Evans says:

Liz, my kids are torn too. They enjoy school more than I did back in the day, but the freedom of summer is delicious. The next four years will fly by, and I hope we can all make the most of it.

Enjoy your shopping trip!

It’s been a long time since that part of my life, but it’s still hard to see summer end. I notice the days are already getting shorter; the sun comes up later and lowers earlier. I love the longer days and already miss that. I think we’re just happier when the sun shines more hours a day.

• Misty Evans says:

I agree, Edie. I’m happier in the summer time with the long days and simpler routine. And I miss the boys when they’re in school. Their days are so busy…they have less time for mom!

3. Amy R says:

My kids start school on Friday. I dread that back to school shopping (I am more of an online shopper) and also that the counters and mudroom in my house will become messy with papers and book bags and other school related things. This is my son’s last year in elementary school (5th) and he is excited about being the big man on campus. My daughter is in 3rd now and is super excited since she will be at the same school building with her brother and there is a bigger playground than she had in 1st & 2nd grade. We have enjoyed our summer (kids had a babysitter all summer at home) but I am ready for them to go back to school since they are getting bored and starting to argue a little more often since the two of them are with each other 24/7. Time for a little separation. Before you know it, Misty, it will be summer again!

4. Jeff Clough says:

I love hanging out with my daughter, so I’m particularly jealous of school when it rolls around. She’s seven now, a fantastic age where not only can we do stuff together, she actually wants to do stuff with me. In a few years, hanging out with dad is going to take a backseat for pretty much everything else, so I treasure every minute I have now.
    Anything that takes away eight hours of that a day is something to be loathed.
    Jeff Clough`s last blog was …Manliness, Basketball, and the Quest for Balanced Journalism

5. Misty as a mother of four kids stretched out over ten years, I lived for summer break to END! and thankfully we have year round school in my town. LOVED. IT!!!
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

6. Misty,
    I have mixed feelings, too… My husband is a teacher, so I love getting to spend whole days/weeks with him as well as with our son during the summer months, but my writing hours dwindle to small snatches of time then, too. I’ll admit, I’ve reached the point in the vacation where I’m anxious for them both to be back to their normal routine, so I can get back to mine :).

7. Because the long summer holiday in Australia is over Christmas, our school year starts at the end of January or beginning of February, and yes, I love not having to rush from school to after-school activities. But I definitely have a lot less writing time, and I love having the whole school day to work. I’m always torn.