Michelle Diener’s Story

A couple weeks ago, So You Think You Can Dance did segments on why each dancer started dancing and what it meant to her/him. For one happy-go-lucky guy, his mother said he wasn’t always like that. He didn’t do well in school and it was a bad time for him… until he discovered dance. She said he told her “dancing saved his life.”

Before that, I didn’t care if he stayed or not, but the segment made me care. I decided to do something similar with my fellow bloggers about writing. It’s because of Michelle Diener that we started Magical Musings, so she’s first. Enjoy!

I loved reading since the moment I learned how and read anything I could get my hands on from a very early age. But I also had stories of my own to tell, and initially, being the oldest of five children, I had four pairs of willing little ears to listen to my stories. I would tell my brothers and sisters stories in the car, lying out in the garden, on the way to school — no venue was safe :). I’d also make up really interesting games, and force them to be part of numerous plays, all scripted by myself, of course. Despite all this torture, my siblings are so supportive of me now — maybe it’s just relief that if they have to suffer, the rest of the world now has to suffer with them?

When I was ten or so, there was a series of manga style cartoons on TV. They were set in a futurist world with space stations, intergalactic warfare, strong kick-butt heroines who flew fighter jets and competed on an equal footing with men (even though they sometimes had pink or baby blue hair! Actually, I think the men had wild hair, too.) I absolutely loved it. Couldn’t get enough of it. I think it was the start of my love for sci-fi. But when the series ended, undaunted, I started writing my own tales of daring-do set off-world.

And then, something happened. I became less confident about writing my own creative work. I could write. That wasn’t in doubt. But I stuck to more non-fiction pieces, and then, at university, essays and papers on history and English literature. Looking back to what I write now, that was a great training ground, actually. I didn’t consider writing fiction at that point, although I had it in my head I would sometime in the future, because I was at a point in my life where I knew how much I didn’t know, if that makes sense? I didn’t think I had enough life experience to do any fiction justice.

So I dabbled, and hardly even did that, to tell the truth, until one birthday I decided if I was going to do it, I must do it. It took a while, and many mistakes and wandering around working things out, but I got there in the end. With the help of my critique partners, and other writing friends, my family’s support, the writing organizations I joined and my own stubborn determination to share the many stories I have inside me.

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts, Guest Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Michelle Diener’s Story

Michelle, you must’ve been a fun older sister. I love the idea of your manga style tales. I hope you saved them to show your own kids. I bet they would love them.

I learned things about you that I never knew. Thanks for being my first MM writer.

• Not sure if I was fun, or if they were just all scared of me :))))

This was such a good idea, I’m looking forward to learning more about the other MM team. Thanks, Edie!

Edie, what a great idea, and Michelle, you’re a fascinating person. Loved the video and hearing your voice. So soft and gentle! I would have loved having you for an older sister and listening to your tales.

I’m so proud to be part of the MM family. Can’t wait for the next installment, Edie.

Hi Edie and Michelle,

What a great idea Edie! And Michelle, how nice to learn more about you. Oldest of five, huh? I’m the youngest of four – I’d have loved to have had you for an older sister!

Mine weren’t into playing with their siblings :(

It’s a good thing you were. We’re all blessed that you continued to write!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Blog Tour for Family Blood Ties series – Vampire in Denial and Vampire in Distress!

• Edie Ramer says:

Dale, my older sister taught me to write (and then I taught my younger brother) but she wasn’t a storyteller. I think we have to be born that way. I agree that we’re blessed that Michelle continued to write.

• LOL, Dale. The first four of us were all very close in age, around 18 months apart, so we had a little gang of ready-made friends wherever we went. And we are still close now, into adulthood.

4. Edie, what a lovely and thoughtful feature :).
    And, Michelle, I so enjoyed learning more about you! I had no idea you were the eldest of five. Your siblings must adore you!!

5. Beth Watson says:

Edie, this is a great idea to feature your MM team. Michelle, I hope you kept your manga style stories. How fun. A few years ago I came across some Charlie’s Angels scripts I’d written in fourth grade for my friends and I to act out at recess. We loved the show. This was my first attempt at creative writing. It was so fun reading over these again, I’d forgotten all about them.

6. Amy R says:

I love you Magical Musings ladies even if I don’t know you on a personal level. I just love reading this blog. I read it every single day (even if I don’t comment). It will be great getting to know more about you all. I have an older sister who likes to write/tell stories, but she always told ghost stories and liked horror movies. It wasn’t my thing so I didn’t like listening to her stories. Michelle’s sound like they would have been fun stories to listen to! :)

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, we love you back! I was just thinking that Cindy Eden should’ve had an older sister like yours. They would’ve been a perfect match.

Michelle’s stories sound very fun to me, too.

7. Thanks, Amy! We love having you as a reader and reviewer! Thanks for all you’re putting into this great team, as well.

8. Cynthia Eden says:

I loved learning more about the lovely Michelle! ;)
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …HOWL FOR IT is a USA Today Best-seller!

This really is a terrific idea, Edie. And Michelle, your journey to publication is inspiring. I think I’m the only creative person in my family … which is saying something since I have/had nine siblings. Since I was one of the youngest, there was no way I could get stories to my older siblings. They would have told me to get lost. So, I kept my writing to myself and never shared. Until now.

10. Pingback: Dale Mayer’s Story | Magical Musings