Liz Kreger’s Story

Liz Kreger is my friend, my critique partner, and one of the people I most admire. Once you read this, you’ll see why. It’s an honor to share her story.

My turn to tell my journey to writing story, huh? Wow … where to begin? I feel like I’d been writing my entire life. Ever since I discovered the world of reading, I’ve wanted to write. It wasn’t until I was in my late teens that I made my first forays into that scary world. Never mind the business end of getting published. That was a far away. Euphorically vague. On edge of the horizon. No, I wanted to write a book.

Now … growing up with eight siblings left me wide open to ridicule. I wasn’t the youngest, but I was near the bottom of the food chain and therefore not taken seriously. Only two of my brothers were serious readers and the rest were more interested in other pursuits, which is probably why they were totally clueless as to my passion for writing. Hell, I even made myself an office in one of our closets. Had a little table and chair, scrounged up a light and diligently scribbled out my stories about horses, dogs and cats. Can’t tell you how many times I’d been scared sh*tless when someone thought it would be hilarious to bang on the closed closet door.

Still, I persisted off and on over the years. Fitting it in when I found the time despite working full time, trying to start a family, whipping what was a pitiful excuse of a yard into a gorgeous garden, and generally dealing with life. Discovered I had breast cancer in 1996 and was treated for that. Clean for seven years and then it returned and I had to deal with it. Naturally I continued my voracious reading. Nuthin’ was gonna interrupt that.

It wasn’t until we were waiting for our travel orders to fly to China to pick up our adopted daughter that I really sat down and pounded out my first complete book … A PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. From start to finish. All 800 pages.

Can you tell I was going stir crazy waiting for our child? Great motivation. However, 800 pages isn’t exactly what publishers were looking for. You try paring down a massive story into 400 pages. Ain’t easy, I can tell you that. But I did it! In 2009, Samhain Publishing released A PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. This was actually the second book of mine that Samhain released. FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW was released the year before. Somehow, those two books seemed to write themselves.

Unfortunately, the health problems continued, which makes finding the energy to write difficult … and at times, impossible. You can say that I’ve been on continuous chemo cocktails for nearly ten years with few breaks between treatments. I’ve discovered that cancer is a tenacious bitch that just doesn’t want to let go. There are many times when it’s a struggle to get up in the morning and force myself to go to the day job. Find the energy to write? Pfft. Wasn’t gonna happen. Evenings? Not a chance. But for a while, I’ve been waking up and writing at 4:30 am a couple times a week. It’s surprising how much work I can do in the wee hours of the morn.

Still, despite the health issues, family demands, the full time job, I’ve written three other contemporary paranormals, a futuristic and am currently working on an Urban Fantasy. As soon as I get them whipped into shape (no doubt kicking and screaming), I intend to submit them to my agent and with luck, will soon have a few more published books under my belt.

Liz Kreger

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts, Liz's Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Liz Kreger’s Story

Liz, you know you’re my hero, you warrior woman. :)

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Edie. Don’t feel like a warrior at times. Sometimes more the wimp when I can’t even pound out a hundred words. But some things come along slowly. It also gives me time to think over my storyline and decide what direction to go. So little time is really wasted.

2. Amy R says:

Perserverance. That is what I think of when I read your story, Liz! I knew there was a reason I liked this blog so much. You guys have so much to teach others about just by being who you are and living your lives. Do you just have one daughter? Also, I am trying to read books from all the ladies on this blog and haven’t read any of yours yet. Which one of yours should I start with? Thanks for sharing your story. :)

Thanx for dropping in, Amy, and for the kind words. Perseverance? Hell, I figure I’m just too much of an ornary bitch to give in to cancer. Figure I’ve been doing this for 17 years … why quit now? :wink: Yes, I just have the one daughter. My husband always said that if we were a bit younger and had a bit box of money, we’d go back and get at least three more little girls. My daughter is a delight.

As far as my books go, both are stand alones but connected through the world building. Personally, I prefer “Forget About Tomorrow”, but am told by several people that “Promise for Tomorrow” is better. Go figure. Take care.

4. Cynthia Eden says:

Liz, you are a total inspiration to me.
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …ANGEL IN CHAINS

• Liz Kreger says:

Actually all of the MM ladies are an inspiration to me, Cyn. You are all so productive and successful in your own way that I strive to do better … if only to prove to myself that I can achieve what I put my mind to.

5. Liz,

Warrior woman. Determined. Tenacious. A good friend and writer. No wonder you inspire awe and respect in those who know you and even those who don’t.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …A White Kitty, A Black Puppy and Boats

• Liz Kreger says:

Wow, this is going to have me blushing. I gotta tell you, Casey, you do what you gotta do. For me, being determined and tenacious is necessary. I refuse to go out without a hellava good fight. I think you’d be surprised how many people find an inner strength when faced with a life altering crisis. My sister has lived with chronic arthritis riddling her entire body since she was eight yeras old with nary a grumble … okay a few. For me, she is my inspiration. If she could take over forty years of constant pain, I can handle this without bitchin’.

Hi Liz,

Awesome story – love the writing of the first book before the China trip. I didn’t know your daughter being adopted. What a blessing.

As for continuing to write through all you’ve been through? You’re my hero! Raising my glass to you!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Blog Tour for Family Blood Ties series – Vampire in Denial and Vampire in Distress!

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Dale. Sorry I’m so slack in responding. Was distracted yesterday by the acquisition of a puppy. Said darlin’ daughter actually talked daddy into a dog. I wouldn’t have bet she could do it. Bodes well for her persuasion skills for the future. :shock:

Yes, Erin is Chinese and she is a delight. If we had an extra ten years and a basket full of money, we’d go back and get three more. The waiting was excruciating, so I harnassed it into my writing and actually finished a book. After that, I finally knew what I wanted to do when I grew up.

What’s in the glass, by the way? Wine, I hope.

7. You’re such an inspiration Liz! I loved chatting with you in Chicago at RT! You’re such a wonderful, fun person and a delight to be around!

• Liz Kreger says:

It was fun in Chicago, Lori. It was great catching up with you. I find that I tend to put on a persona when at conferences. Afterall … yeah, yeah, yeah, got cancer … but who wants to hear about it? Not me. :lol: As a result, I just tell everyone that things are just fine and dandy. Doesn’t matter if I’d much rather just put my head down and sleep. Things gotta get done. I certainly refuse to let this limit me in any way.

8. Liz,
    Your journey to writing really inspires me, and I can’t express how much I admire your strength and courage in the face of those health battles. Thank you for sharing your story with us!!
    xox

• Liz Kreger says:

I always figure that the more people who know that there are things that can be overcome, the better. After all … you hear the big “C” and you immediately think death sentence. I’ve been doing this for over 17 years and credit my doctors and their teams with my survival. That, and the fact that I’m stubborn. ;-)

Liz, you know I’m sending good vibes your way. Thank you for sharing your story – the good and the bad. Reminds me I need to complain less and be grateful more. You keep fighting and know we’re all proud of you.

• Liz Kreger says:

Complaining is okay, Misty. I just do it to myself … and hubby when I just can hold it in any longer. My SIL gave me some advice a long time ago. She said I have twenty minutes to feel sorry for myself and then get over it. I agree with her. Life is too short to bemoan what fate has handed you. I’d rather enjoy the good stuff. Like my friends and a few Margheritas thrown in for good measure.

10. and you will always remain my warrior princess!
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!