Libraries Rock

Image from MS ClipArt

I’m going to do my first library talk this Saturday at the Ellenbrook Library. It’s going to be an informal and friendly chat about my books, how I was inspired to write them and a question and answer session. But what I’m most looking forward to is chatting to readers and connecting. (One person in the audience will also win one of my last remaining advance reading copies of THE EMPEROR’S CONSPIRACY.)

I do the whole twitter and facebook thing, but I much prefer personal interaction, and writing is a solitary occupation, so getting out and meeting readers is always good.

And that is one reason why I love libraries. They serve as places for these types of talks, for connecting writers and readers, and because without access to a library when I was growing up, I would probably not be a writer at all. Love of books is what made me a writer of books and my reading habit could never have been maintained on my pocket money or my parents generosity alone.

I think it’s vital to keep the library system alive and well, no matter what the format of the books loaned. I use my two local libraries all the time, and my children love coming to the library, just as I did as a child. I am so pleased they feel just as enthusiastic as I did, and hopefully that enthusiasm is what will keep libraries in our lives long into the future.

Do you attend talks at your library, or visit there often? Are you a library fan, like me?

About Michelle Diener

Michelle Diener writes historical fiction and fantasy. To find out more about her and her novels, you can visit her website.
This entry was posted in Michelle's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Libraries Rock

Michelle, that sounds so cool. I’m sure you’ll be a big success!

When I was a child, we had a bookmobile come to our neighborhood. I was so young and so short, I could only find books on the lower shelves. It was a thrill to go there. Even now, I feel a tiny thrill when I go into the library.

Oh, you’re gonna enjoy that, Michelle. I did a couple of group talks at local libraries here in Wisconsin. It was always such fun. The first one was standing room only with nearly 90 people. Unfortunately, the second one I attended wasn’t as well advertised, so there were far fewer people, but it was still fun.

I haunted the local library when I was a kid. I just couldn’t get enough books … and like you, is probably the seeds planted that made me want to be a writer.

3. Jeff Clough says:

I love my local library, but since moving out of convenient walking distance I just don’t get to visit as often as I’d like.
    I don’t hear of many authors visiting the library in my town, but they do have some wonderful events. My favorite was a weekly “Story Time” where I used to bring my daughter when she was three and four. Someone on the staff would read a book to the children and parents, then the kids would do a craft project based on the book.
    Jeff Clough`s last blog was …My Wednesdays Are Getting Busy

4. Amy R says:

I hope you have a wonderful time. I am sure your fans will love meeting you. I love our small town library. Since our town is small (7,000 people) they do not have a lot of talks/signings. We are only about 10 minutes from a bigger town with over 100,000+ people so most of the talks/authors go to the library there. I have actually never met an author in person. It would be so fun to do that and would be such a memorable experience for me I think. As I have mentioned in the past, you guys are like Rock Stars to me!

Have fun, Michelle! I love speaking at libraries and I love our small-town library. The librarians are wondeful. Just yesterday, our lovely librarian called me to tell me she found my son’s library card in a book. LOL. It happens. We go almost every week and find new *treasures* and we have a great interlibrary loan system for any library in Illinois. When my first book came out, I did a talk/book signing. So much fun!

6. I loved the library as a child. Its the one place where anyone can go, no matter what your station in life, or how much or little money you have. And its even better that you get to go and hang out with other people who love books!

7. Amy Atwell says:

Michelle, I know you’ll be a huge hit at your library talk! Like others, I haunted my local library when I was a kid. I spent a summer in Manhattan working part time, and then I spent the rest of my days visiting library branches and reading books. Dozens of books! Now I live on an island in Florida. There is a local library about one mile away. I should go. I should take my computer and write. I should make some connections. I think you’ve inspired me to reconnect with libraries!
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Guilty Pleasures

Congrats and good luck! Sounds like a fun experience. Libraries have always been an wonderful experience for me. I remember when my kids were little and I lugged dozens of books back and forth to keep them happy!

Now, to escape the same kids, I often take my laptop and go work at the library. How times have changed! πŸ™‚
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Blog Tour for Family Blood Ties series – Vampire in Denial and Vampire in Distress!