Beach Bound!

For the past few years, I’ve spent the last week in October attending the Low Country RWA Masterclass Beach Retreat in South Carolina.  The first time I attended, I attended workshops by Jenny Crusie, Susan Meir, and Nina Bruhns, all fabulous authors and writing instructors.  This year, I’ll be teaching some craft classes along with the wonderful Caridad Pineiro, but I’ll also be getting tips from Indie phenoms Tina Folsom, Stephanie Bond, and CJ Lyons.  Participants can attend workshops during the day, then everyone breaks into small groups at night for critiquing.  What I love most about the retreat, however, is the fact it’s small and low-key, there’s plenty of time to visit and eat great food, and the beach is literally just a few steps away.  I’m looking forward to “filling my well” with lots of great information, but lots of down time and relaxation, as well.

That said, I always dread leaving my family for an entire week.  I usually feel the same before every conference I attend.  Usually, when all is said and done, the time away from home is worth it.  That hasn’t always been true for every conference I’ve attended, but with this beach retreat?  I consider it almost a sure thing.

How about you?  Is there one place or activity that you can always count on to lift you up?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Virna's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Beach Bound!

Virna, that sounds lovely. I wish I were going to meet you in person.

My monthly meeting with my writer friends always lifts me up. I come back happy and with new purpose, and admiration for my friends.

2. It would be great to have you there, Edie. 🙂 I agree, monthly writing meetings can be so energizing and inspiring. Hope you re doing well and thanks for commenting! 🙂

3. Jeff Clough says:

Sounds like a great retreat. 🙂

I have a friend who lives in a sightly more rural town than I do and I usually end up there for a week or two every year. It’s a great place to shift gears, eat, drink, and be merry. The last trip I took there had me in a bit of an Inner-Puritan-induced panic (“Why aren’t you working! Sinner!”) but I’m still looking forward to my next trip.

Sometimes you have to take a break.
    Jeff Clough`s last blog was …Review of T.D. Thomas’s “Hera, Queen of Gods”

I would love to attend that retreat. It has all the makings of a great time! Books, authors, the beach…ah, yes. The perfect get away. 😀

Have fun and report in when you get back, V!

5. Amy R says:

Virna, the beach can always lift me up. Whenever we talk about vacations I always mention the beach…but my husband isn’t beach person. He likes the moutains, so we alternate. Have a fun time at the conference! 🙂

6. Amy Atwell says:

I know others who’ve attended this retreat and they rave about it–enjoy! I’m lucky that I live at the beach, but I enjoy meeting up with a local writing friend for lunch about once a month. I didn’t attend any writing conferences this year, but I’m planning to visit at least 3 next year. Can’t wait!
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Guilty Pleasures

Sounds like a wonderful retreat, Virna. I just returned from a weekend retreat in Green Lake, Wisconsin. Right on the lake (although very chilly that weekend), the trees were all changing colors, and a great group of people. What more can you ask?

Although a warm beach would have been nice. Enjoy yourself and come back with batteries recharged. I always view my conferences as my “ME” time. Yes, I miss my family, but what I get out of the conferences really does outweigh that time away.

Hi Virna,

I so wish I could go with you! I used to attend the Surrey International Writer’s Conference when I lived close by but it’s been 5 years now and I’m having withdrawal symptoms.

And a beach would be wonderful!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Blog Tour for Family Blood Ties series – Vampire in Denial and Vampire in Distress!

9. Virna, like you, I also find it hard to be away from my family, but there is nothing like spending time with other writers to really inspire and energize me. Every now and then I get together for lunch with a writer friend, and we’ve just invited another writer to join us next Friday lunch session. It is short, and hardly a retreat, but better than nothing.

Enjoy every minute of it! And like Edie said, I would love to meet you in person, too!