Edie Ramer’s Story

Today, we have our very own Edie Ramer’s story on her writer’s journey.  Edie is one of the founding members of MagicalMusings and like all of us, followed a difficult road to publication.  Deciding to go the indie route, Edie presently has eleven books available and will soon be releasing her twelth.  So, let’s hear Edie’s story.

You often hear about someone having a fire in their belly; when it comes to books and writing, I have a fire in my soul. As far back as I remember, I loved books. One of my first memories is my brothers and sisters and me gathered around my mother while she read to us. The odd thing was that I never felt the urge to write when I was young. Instead, I channeled my imagination into daydreams. Usually I had super powers and was flying around with the other super powered heroes and heroines. (I still want those super powers!)

Out of five kids, I was the middle child. My dad had a heart condition for a long time, and he died when I was five. My mother did what she could, but she was busy and we were on our own a lot. As I’m writing this, I first see how that relates to many of my heroines. As a child, I recall spending a lot of time observing people, which is a good background for a writer. Oddly, my brain-damaged heroine in MIRACLE LANE – which will be available this later this week – observes people to learn how to act normal.

I married fairly young and had our son soon after. I worked during this time, but I never stayed at one place more than a few years. It wasn’t that I hated the jobs, it’s just that I hated going every day. It felt wrong. I even said once that one of my jobs was killing pieces of my soul.

Then one day my husband came home from work and told me he had lost his job. I immediately said I was going to write a book. I don’t even know where it came from. I think I was reading a Harlequin romance at the time, and I was having an I-can-do-that moment. But it went deeper than that. Because I loved books so much, I revered writers. I thought they were ‘special.’ And we are! The truth is, everyone is special.

Lucky for us, my husband got another job not long after. But I was already hooked. I knew this is what I should be doing – and my beginning showed a lot of promise. I almost got an agent with my first book. I wrote short stories and started selling them to print magazines. I had many contest wins and finals with my books. I had four agents (not at the same time). I came close to selling a few times, but I never did. I had times when I was depressed, but I never gave up. The fire in my soul never left me. About this time, I was reading more about the business of publishing, and I became an indie author.

I haven’t looked back; I’m only looking forward. I’m published in contemporary, paranormal and sci fi romance, plus a humorous mystery. I co-edited ENTANGLED, A PARANORMAL ANTHOLOGY, with all the proceeds going to cancer research. Later this week, I’ll have MIRACLE LANE available, the third book of my Miracle Interrupted series. I feel like I’ve reached my heart place with this magical realism series, and will be writing these stories for a long time.

For whatever reason, lightning never hit me – so I’m making my own lightning. I’m happy and excited and fulfilled. If I were to give a new writer advice, I would say to work hard, be persistent, get great critique partners, learn as much as you can about the craft, and then make the magic happen.

Edie Ramer
www.edieramer.com

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Edie's Posts, Liz's Posts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Edie Ramer’s Story

Hey, Edie. Thanx for sharing your story with us. Very inspiring. Sounds like most writers start out as avid readers before transitioning into their careers.

Edie, you’ve followed your passion and it shows. You’re an inspiring person and we’re all blessed to have you in our lives!

3. Pingback: Entangled Update

4. Amy R says:

Thanks for sharing your story, Edie! I have really enjoyed getting to know all the ladies on MM website and how they started writing. Did you turn any of the short stories you wrote into any of your currently or soon to be published books? I am impressed that you thought to write a book after your husand lost his job. I am not one to take risks and would never have attempted that, but obviously you were supposed to and it paid off. Thanks for all you do for MM! Keep up the great work with your writing!

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, you are so sweet! I think the desire to write my own stories must’ve been inside me, but I never admitted it. Not even to myself.

One of the first things I did after I published Cattitude was look at my old short stories. They’re all mysteries, for the most part nothing like I write now. I didn’t want to confuse my readers who would expect something different, so I only published The Seventh Dimension, with is told in the point of view of a lesbian ghost. lol

As for thanks, you deserve them for your great book reviews! When I read them, I know you could write a book if you wanted to.

5. Eide,

So good to get to know more about you though it seems we’ve been writing friends for a while but lives are different. You’ve touched many writers with your gifts and hundreds more with your books. Keep up the great work.

We all appreciate you in our lives.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Glacial Adventure

Hi Edie,

Love your ‘found’ your heart place line! It’s so true isn’t it :)

That you kept your focus through all those agents and disappointments is wonderful and inspiring. I think you are where you belong right now. I am delighted with your new Miracle Interrupted series. It’s very ‘you.’ :)
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Blog Tour for Family Blood Ties series – Vampire in Denial and Vampire in Distress!

• Edie Ramer says:

Dale, I kept my focus because I knew deep inside that writing was it for me. I had to other plan.

Yes, I think my Miracle Interrupted series is me, too. Thanks!

7. Edie, I enjoyed your story. I followed your lead when I dumped into the Indie publishing pool! I couldn’t have done it without your help.

I didn’t write stories, I told them to the kids in my neighborhood and anyone else who would listen. .

• Edie Ramer says:

Mary, when I started, a few friends who already when indie gave me advice. I’m happy to pay it forward. It sounds to me like you were a born storyteller!

8. Amy Atwell says:

It’s amazing how much I’m learning about the women I thought I’d known for years. Edie, you are such an inspiration to me, and now I see why. You look adversity in the eye and don’t take NO for an answer. I love the idea of making your own lightning. I think it’s a trait shared by all our MM sisters!
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Story Icons: The Little Mermaid

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, I feel the same way with every author’s story I read. Can’t wait to hear the rest! As for inspiration, you always inspire me. I know you make lightning happen, too.

9. Edie,
    In reading the story of your writing journey, I was struck not only by your wonderful perseverence and sense of initiative but, also, by the way you’ve shared your writing gifts to help others (as with the Entangled anthology). Your supportiveness toward readers and writers alike is something that always inspires me ;).

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, it was a pleasure for me to do that. Everyone was so generous, and Misty was a great co-editor. I couldn’t have done it alone. And I felt the support from you and the other MM bloggers. :)

10. Edie, I loved reading your story. And 13 books out there! Wow! Time flies! :)

You are a generous and talented writer and friend who deserves every success.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Visit to Ellenbrook Library, Saturday October 13th

11. Eliza Daly says:

I’ve been gone 9 days on business Edie so I’m late to the game here, but I loved reading your story. I didn’t know most of this about you. Very interesting. And congrats on your twelfth book. Woohoo!!!!