Caught in YA land – with a New Release by Dale Mayer

Hi everyone!

The title of this blog is so true in so many ways.  Not only do I have kids at home in my YA target age group, but I’ve been caught in edits and promo work on not one but two different new releases! At the same time, I’m buried under the revisions of my adult romantic suspense book. Going from teen speak to hot sex between books…yeah, so not easy. :)

But that’s my life at home any way – well the teen speak to adult speak bounce at least!

Life as a writer, in my case, is all about balance. Between the different types of YA and adult characters in both my books and my life. Sometimes they blend wonderfully, then there’s the rest of the week…

But maybe all this confusion and chaos is a perfect medium to promote escapism – a necessity for me. Because when I write, I live inside my crazy characters and they live inside me. Poking me, prodding me, driving me to finish their stories. And I have to tell you, I’m soooo delighted to have this next instalment of Storey Dalton’s life finished. Why? Because this series all have cliffhanger endings.

Cliffhanger endings are fairly common in YA books, but there’s always pressure to get the next instalment completed.  There is a similar pressure with any series, but for me, a cliffhanger ending adds to it. It’s like these characters are caught up in limbo land, usually in peril, waiting for me to extricate them. Then there are the constant emails from the readers who are hooked into the series that want to know when the next story is coming out…I’ve become great at excuses :)

So why did I write it that way? Yeah, I’d like to know the reason for that too :) Blame if on the teenagers, both in the book and in my house, that insisted that this is the way I had to do it!

What book am I talking about?

Deadly Designs, book 2 of the Design series.

Drawing is her world…but when she’s banished to a deadly new world and needs help, it’s his world too.

Her… Storey Dalton wants to go home – but something goes terrifyingly wrong and she ends up in her worst nightmare. There’s no escape…not without Eric or her stylus. Then she finds someone who needs rescuing even more than she does…

Him… Eric Jordan races to save Storey, only to realize a close family member has betrayed them both. Now the enemy is closing in on him. When he meets up with Storey, he knows her plans are a bad idea, but she won’t be dissuaded…and it could be their only way of staying alive.

It… The stylus, now bonded to Storey’s artistic soul, is determined to survive this new chaos – against all odds. But damaged from a prolonged separation, he can’t help Story or Eric – without making things worse.

Them… Storey is determined to make things right. Eric is determined to help her. Neither counts the personal cost, until their very lives are in danger.

Also today, my book Maddy’s Floor, book 3 of the Psychic Vision series, is on for free! If you haven’t read it, here’s a chance to try it out.

Do you read YA? And if you do, what genres? Have you come across cliffhanger endings? If so, do you love ‘em or hate ‘em?

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Dale's Posts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Caught in YA land – with a New Release by Dale Mayer

1. Cynthia Eden says:

Love the Deadly Designs cover!
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …Katie Reus and Fatal Deception (With giveaway!)

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks! I really love this one too. :)
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

I agree with Cyn. Great cover, Dale. I know what you mean about kids taking over your mind. Mine is only 13 years old, yet trying to keep up with her is next to impossible. Writing while she’s around? Not gonna happen … which is why I loved it when I could get up at 4:30 a.m. and do my writing. If I try during the evening, she just “happens” to plant herself nearby and mess with her i-Pad, i-Pod, the puppy or … whatever. I’m sure she likes to hang near (for some unfathomable reason), but I find it very distracting. And try to do a sex scene while the little darlin’ is around? Ain’t gonna happen. :???:

Good luck with your releases.

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Liz,

I learned (somehow) to write through anything the 4 kids threw at me. LOL. We put on movies, tv or video games and I sit in my chair and keep working. They’ll rope me into a game or two, but generally – as I SUCK at them – they are happy to reclaim the system and let ME visit with them. Lol.

Yeah, that whole sex scene with kids around??? So doesn’t work well. :)
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

Good luck with finding balance, Dale, and if you do, what’s the secret? LOL.

Love the cover and wishing you much success with this series!

5. Congrats on the new book, Dale!! Fab cover ;).
    As for YA, I like both types of stories — those that have some cliffhanger endings and those that are self contained — for different reasons. If a writer does his/her job well, I’ll look forward to whatever book is next, whether it’s a continuation of a series or a brand new story!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Great New Reads!

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks on the cover – glad to see this one is well liked!

I find that as long as the bulk of plot threads are tied up that I’m all for a cliffhanger ending – because by then I’m really wanting the series to continue. Hopefully my readers feel the same way :)
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

Congrats on your new release! You are so prolific, yet so good. I read the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep, the Gallagher series by Ally Carter, and your Vampire in Distress series, your Design series, and your stand-alones. You’re an over-achiever. lol

8. Congrats on the new release, Dale!!!

I agree with Marilyn, as long as I’m swept away, I don’t mind how it’s done :)
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Visit to Ellenbrook Library, Saturday October 13th