Magical Musings Guest – Cynthia Eden

This week, we have our own Cynthia Eden adding her writer’s journey to our blog.  Not only does Cynthia write paranormal, but she also writes romantic suspense, and young adult.  The author of well over twenty books and particpant of who knows how many anthologies … heeeeerrrre’s Cynthia Eden …

My Story, My Dream

There are some people who write one book, and that book sells instantly.  Then that author goes on to enjoy enormous fame and success—all from that one book.

I am not such a person.  And, please, don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the authors who do sell their first books, but for me, the journey was longer.  The first book I wrote didn’t sell. Heck, I think the first five, six(?) books that I wrote didn’t sell. And you know what? They should *not* have sold. They were terrible! I had too much to learn about writing. I still do! I like to think that I learn more with every single book that I write.

As I tried to sell my books, I received rejections, plenty of them. Some writers keep all of their rejections in a nice, organized folder. Guess what I did with mine? Tossed them out as quickly as they came.  I figured why waste my energy on the negativity? I didn’t need to keep rejections around as a reminder for anything. If editors left me constructive comments, then, yes, definitely, I tried to use those comments, but I didn’t save my rejections, and I sure didn’t count them. (That just sounds painful to me.)  I kept writing. I focused on the next story, and the next story, and the next story.

And then…I sold.  I had my dream! My book was going to be published.  I celebrated. I ate lots of chocolate, and then I focused on the next story.  That’s what it’s about for me—writing. Always having another story brewing in the back of my mind. It’s not about reaching a dream, and that dream ending. It’s about that dream evolving and continuing. My dream isn’t just to publish anymore—my dream is to have a career writing.  My dream is to explore genres, to write stories that make people happy.  To create interesting and compelling characters.

It’s not about one book for me. Not about one rejection or one acceptance. It’s the stories that keep me going. The characters that just won’t stay quiet for me—and the dreams that I won’t ever give up on.

I wish you the very best of luck with your dreams, too. Dreams are what give us hope, and they are so very precious.

My family has always been incredible about supporting my dream.  When I was a teenager and got seriously bit by the writing bug, my mother and I would travel all over the area, feverishly searching used bookstores for the “hard-to-find” books that I was so eager to read. Those “hard-to-find” books included classics by Linda Howard, Jayne Castle, and Diana Palmer. Those authors inspired my love of writing, and my mother kept building that inspiration by being my book-hunting buddy.

Then, later, my husband was my dream cheerleader.  Hmmm…not sure if that sounds right! But he always encouraged me to write. He made sure that I celebrated every accomplishment, big and small, and he was there to tell me that rejections “didn’t matter”—that I just needed to keep trying.  Having my family’s support has always been such a positive aspect to my life.

Thank you for letting me share my story with you, and I would love to hear your dreams, too. Please share them!

Cynthia Eden

ANGEL IN CHAINS—Available 11/17/12 from Kensington Brava

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Cynthia's Posts, Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Magical Musings Guest – Cynthia Eden

My dream isn’t just to publish anymore—my dream is to have a career writing.

Cynthia, that resonated with me. That and creating “interesting and compelling characters.” My dream is to write books that people will cherish, and look forward to reading more. I hope I’ve already started on this.

It’s wonderful that you had so much support. That counts. And how fun that you knew as a teenager that you wanted to be a writer. And that your mother helped nurture that dream. 🙂

2. Berinn Rae says:

I love your approach to handling rejections, and your vision on writing. Inspiring and realistic – love it!

Cynthia, you’re an inspiration to me, just like the rest of the MM gang. Thank you for sharing your story, especially about the rejections. I still have my folder of rejections because they make me smile now that I’m published. I sometimes show them to other writers going through what I did and it always makes them feel better knowing we’ve all been there.

Congratulations on your success and I’m so glad you pursued your dream. I’m one of the fans you keep entertaining!

4. Amy R says:

Hi Cynthia! Thanks for sharing your story. I think it is obvious to your fans that you truly enjoy writing and coming up with stories. You get so excited about it all – not just about one book. Thanks for all that you have been to your readers and congrats on your success!

5. Cynthia,
    I loved your post and reading about your dreams… Like Edie, your comment about not wanting just to publish but have a writing career resonated with me as well. In this industry, I think that’s a dream many of us share ;). Looking forward to celebrating your release of Angel in Chains soon, too!!

6. Cynthia Eden says:

And I’d like to offer a big thanks to Liz for featuring my story today! Thank you, Liz!
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …ANGEL IN CHAINS–Coming soon!!! (And I’m giving away 5 copies!)

Hi Cynthia,

Love to hear the story about your mom’s support and now your husband’s. It is important to have others let you nurture your dreams. My cheering squad is now my kids 🙂

And like most of the other comments, I didn’t dream of being published but of having a writing career. I want to make people laugh and cry, and scream as they drop the book in their hands -true story – and thankfully not out of fury or disgust but literally in shock as they turned the pages. lol

I am truly blessed to be where I am, and know that like you…we have many more happy years ahead of us sharing the characters that live inside us!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

Hey Cyn. Thanx for sharing your story with us. I think nearly all of us has gone through the “rejection” route and most have risen above it and have been published. I think I really know of one author whose first submission was accepted and published. Wonderful for her, but by the same token, she didn’t go through the learning process. I think she has since and has had other books rejected, but still …

Looking forward to “Angel in Chains”. New series, right?

9. Awww, it sounds like you have a great family!
    I did the exact same thing with my rejections! I didn’t want them hanging around! Congrats on all of your success 🙂

10. Cynthia, having such an amazing support system is vital. No wonder you’re so successful!

11. Amy Atwell says:

Cynthia, how great to learn your story. And I love that your mom and husband are two of your biggest dream cheerleaders (the term sounds perfect to me!). You are truly on your way evolving with your dream and building a solid career as an author–the envy of many writers out there!