It’s that time of year again!

No I don’t mean Christmas or Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Easter or any number of the other days that are highlights in our world. This time is really only important if you are a writer – or an aspiring writer. Then this time of year just might cause your heart to race with joy and anticipation. Although, for the exact same reason, you heart may stall and your fingers freeze with fear as you face a dreaded nemesis.

What time of year am I talking about? NaNoWriMo.

This is the time when millions of us certifiable nutcases sign up to write 50,000 words on a brand new project before the end of the month of November. Yes, the same month you started in – NOT November 30 of a year later (nice try though :) )

Why this insanity? Why this craze to the finish line? Well there are all kinds of reasons why.

1. You know you can be a bestselling author by December 1st if you could just get those words down –  uhmmm maybe, but so not likely. But hey go for it!
  2. Your life is boring and doing NaNo will shake you up and out of your isolation. Again, uhmmm – not really. Getting 50,000 words down on a manuscript tends to keep you isolated and definitely boring to others! But hey go for it!
  3. You want to be a part of some sport but you’re a computer nerd and this is the closest you can get. Uhm okay, but I think computer gaming is closer to being a sport than writing! But hey, go for it!

Then there are the reasons why I participate in NaNo every year –

1. To focus my attention on one single important writing project that guarantees me getting down a lot of words in a short amount of time. I’m planning on writing book 5 of the Psychic Vision series this month (at least as much of it as I can!) Maddy’s Floor, as an example, was a previous NaNo novel. Deadly Designs was last year’s NaNo project. :) Who knows what I can create this year.
  2. To get out of the way of my internal editor and let my creative half rule. Considering that I’ve been in revision hell for a looooong time, this will be interesting! Wonder if my creative side WANTS to come out and play or if it’s happy living in a coma!
  3. To join into a massive worldwide event that is sheer fun! Remember at the beginning of this post about being a certifiable nutcase – yeah that’s me!

Don’t kid yourself though – these books required a lot of revising to get into a publishable state. But after NaNo there is no feeling like having a complete project to shine into gold.

Having done NaNo for many years and having won the challenge each and every time, I know I can do this. For me it’s not about the challenge. It’s about the opportunity.This system is NOT for everyone. I know wonderful writers who can’t write this way. That’s because we’re all different.

I love NaNo. And if this sounds like something for you, it’s not too late! Check out http://www.nanowrimo.org and sign up.

Also several of my fellow Magical Musers are doing NaNo this year. Good luck to you all! Go For It!
Have any of you wanted to do something like NaNo but haven’t been able to for whatever reason? Are you going to try this year? Have you done NaNo in the past? If so, how did it go? Or do you think such a venture is just plain…well, nuts!

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Dale's Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to It’s that time of year again!

NaNo always seems to come up with I’m not ready for it. I’m a week or so away from finishing my wip, and then I’m going to revise. There’s no way I’m stopping to start a new book. This is pretty much what happens every NaNo. Maybe next year I’ll be ready for it.

Good luck with your book. I know you’ll make the 50K easily!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Edie,

Although NaNo occurs at a regular time of the year, that certainly doesn’t mean it happens at the RIGHT time of the year or the right stage of what we are doing, does it.

Hopefully next year it is something that will work out for you. I know it’s something you could do easily. You only need to write 1667 words a day to make the goal and you write more than that!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

2. Misty Evavns says:

Good luck, Dale. I’m not a NaNo writer…when I try to write like that, I turn out pure garbage. I’m better off to write like normal. I’m rooting on all my friends who ARE doing NaNo, though. You all amaze me with your dedication!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Misty!

I hear you on the writing garbage – but I can do that on any day not just November :) I probably write more garbage than most! Your writing is so clean and mine…yeah, we won’t go there!

Thanks for cheering. That’s always appreciated.

3. LOL, Dale!!
    I’ve never “officially” participated in NaNo, but I’ve enjoyed hearing about other writers’ progress from the sidelines and have tried to use the quieter times (since social networking slows down a bit) to focus a bit more on my own manuscript. But if I manage to write even half that amount in a month — 25K — I’d be dancing in the streets! So, I admire everyone who takes part.
    Good luck with yours!!! :)

Hi Marilyn!

Being on the sidelines is a great place to be. You can get your own work done at a speed that works for you.

And 25k in a month would be wonderful! I’m a firm believer in doing what you need to do and if you don’t have that twisted NaNo bent – all the more power to you. You’ll have a much LESS stressful November than the rest of us! ;)
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

5. blodeuedd says:

I am doing it this year, but I have already changed my story 3 times..and language too lol
    blodeuedd`s last blog was …Interview and Giveaway. Jill Mansell – A Walk in the Park

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Blodeuedd,

That’s great that you’re doing NaNo! and lol on the constant changes! You’re not alone. I already started a second story, too! :( We have time. Let the characters roll around inside your head and see what feels right.

And keep on with it – you can do it!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

No can do, Dale. With my schedule (and other issues) there is no way I could commit to 50,000 words in one month. I have nothing but admiration for those who can, though. Good luck.

7. Amy Atwell says:

Good luck with NaNo, Dale! I’ve seen you create amazing manuscripts in 30 days, and I’m alway inspired. I find writing in November is always hard. The holidays are fast approaching, winter starts to set in, the days are shorter, and there’s just so many things to do. But I’m giving it a shot. Of course, it’s now Nov. 3 and I still have a zero word count. I wonder if I can write 50,000 words in a week…
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Guilty Pleasures