All I Needed To Know About Racing by Guest Blogger JB Lynn

Magical Musings fans, please join me today in welcoming back the wonderful JB Lynn as she explains… All I Needed to Know About Racing I Learned From Writing!

Last month I completed my third half marathon (13.1 miles).

Before you go getting all impressed, or think I’m some sort of athlete, please understand that I walked most of it, and in a field of over 3000 runners, I beat about sixty people. (Which was actually an improvement for me…in the past I was lucky to beat twenty, lol.)

Some people ask me why I keep doing the races if I’m so slow. They’re often the same people who ask me why I keep writing.

Here are three lessons that apply to both.

1 – You’ve got to show up even when you don’t feel like it.

Writing a book requires a tremendous amount of dedication, not just sitting down to write when inspiration strikes.  Similarly, training for a race of this distance requires a lot more commitment than going out for a casual stroll when the mood happens to strike.

2  – Your race, your pace.

Basically this comes down to not comparing your progress to that of others. It’s a waste of energy and can be demoralizing. If you focus on your book (or race) and work at your pace (some of us write/run quickly, some slowly) you’ll reach The End (or finish line) the same as everyone else.

3 – Pain is temporary (hopefully). The sense of accomplishment lasts forever (or at least the book/finisher’s medal does).

There are days, sometimes weeks, when it feels as if every sentence, every word, is torture, but there’s a tremendous sense of accomplishment when you finally finish your masterpiece.

I spent an inordinate amount of my training for this last race in physical pain because of a couple of injuries. The race itself hurt too (as evidenced by the fact I’m not really smiling in my finisher’s picture, more like grimacing). And yet, I’m so proud of myself for finishing, just like when I’ve completed a book.

Right now I’ve got both my latest finisher’s medal and a copy of my latest release FURTHER CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN on my desk. They inspire me to write and run (or walk….or limp, as the case may be) every day.

What inspires you? What lessons have you learned in one area of your life have helped you in other areas?

FURTHER CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN

Take three wacky aunts,
 two talking animals,
 one nervous bride,
 and an upcoming hit,
 and you’ve got the follow-up
to JB Lynn’s wickedly funny
 Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman.

Knocking off a drug kingpin was the last thing on Maggie Lee’s to-do list, but when a tragic accident leaves her beloved niece orphaned and in the hospital, Maggie will go to desperate   lengths to land the money needed for her care.

But the drug kingpin is the least of   her worries. Maggie’s aunts are driving her crazy, her best friend’s turned into a bridezilla…and a knock on the head has given Maggie Dr. Dolittle   abilities—she can talk to animals. Unfortunately, they talk back.

It’s just another day in the life of this neurotic hitwoman…

To learn more about JB Lynn, please visit: www.jblynn.com

For links to purchase her books, please visit: http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/38895/JB_Lynn/index.aspx

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Guest Posts, Misty's Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to All I Needed To Know About Racing by Guest Blogger JB Lynn

1. Great post, JB. Continuous effort really is the only way to reach your goals, and you’ve rocked them both. Congratulations on your new release. (Awesome book, btw, for those who haven’t read it yet.)

One lesson I’ve learned (and sometimes have to relearn) is that bad things happen sometimes, but if you focus on the bad, you’ll have a tougher time achieving the good. After my car accident, I spent a lot of time wallowing in the bad, but once I stopped all the negativity, I really began to work at getting better. And after my first book went through it’s rejection cycle, the wave of negativity kept me from writing for almost a year. It wasn’t until I shook that off that I got my second book finished.
    B.E. Sanderson`s last blog was …Editing Pitfall #2

2. Pingback: All I Ever Needed to Know « JB Lynn's Confessions

What a great post! I love the description of your books, too.

I agree with you and B.E. Show up and focus on the good. I’m resilient, and remind myself that whatever it is will pass… And if it doesn’t, I have to live with it and go on with my life. Besides all that, I’m naturally stubborn. I don’t like to give up, especially when I know it’s right for me.

4. JB Lynn says:

B.E. — So glad you enjoyed Further Confessions! I seem to always be relearning the most important lessons in life. Good for you for making such positive progress!

Edie — Thanks! I happen to think stubbornness is a wonderful character trait to possess. ;-)

5. Misty Evavns says:

JB, thanks for being here, especially since you’re knee deep in the Sandy aftermath. I’m reading Further Confessions right now and laughing my butt off. Armani is still my favorite sidekick…but the Doberman is running a close second in this story. :grin:

• Amy R says:

I don’t know, Misty. I really like Godzilla and his snark. DeeDee is such a loveable sidekick. I am so ready for Patrick to make his move and get rid of those pesky wives. Ha ha. Never thought I would say that. :)

6. Amy R says:

Hi, JB! Running takes such patience and hard work and I can see how that goes along with writing. Haven’t tried writing, but have tried preparing for a 1/2 marathon and it is hard. My husband and I were scheduled to do the 1/2 in Indy last May, but he injured his hamstring so he wasn’t able to run (doctor’s orders) and I wasn’t motivated enough for myself. He had already trained and run a 1/2 so I saw the work that was put into it. I can only imagine how much self discipline is needed for writing. No one else can do it for you. Great work on your Confessions books! They were so good!

7. JB Lynn says:

Amy — I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the Confessions books. Will you and your husband try for another 1/2 next year? I actually ended up being injured for the first two half marathons I’d signed up for, but my third attempt ended being successful and now I’ve done three. It’s a tricky thing, finding the balance between pushing yourself and not pushing yourself to hard. Like everything else in life that’s worth doing there’s a learning curve.

• Amy R says:

Congrats on doing three! My husband did run a 1/2 a couple of years ago but not sure if he will do that again. I hope to get my family (including my kids) running some 5k’s as a family. Not sure about a 1/2 though. I get a little bored running, so the 5k’s are just the right length. My kids have done some kid-runs (1 mile) and really liked all the fun stuff on race day. I would love to do one of those Warrior Dashes. That looks fun, but I know it would be hard work, too.

8. I loved your post, J.B. — and your determination to continue to race (whether running or walking) and to keep writing. I need those little visual reminders on my desk, too, to keep me going when I’m tempted to give up ;).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Winners & Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts!

Great post J.B.

That first rule is my motto to single parenting LOL.

But it applies to ever goal, great and small. The books sound wonderful. Major congrats!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!

10. JB Lynn says:

Thank you, Dale. I agree that Rule 1 applies to just about everything in life that’s worth doing. :smile:

11. Amy Atwell says:

J.B., it’s lovely to meet you. I found your post extra inspiring because I’m training for my first half-marathon (racing in January). It has been an amazing experience, so congrats to you on completing three of them! I agree, I just need to apply the same principles to my writing. Between the day job, the training and LIFE, the writing has suffered too long.

Your neurotic hitwoman sounds amazing–best wishes on the book!
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Guilty Pleasures

12. JB Lynn says:

Hi Amy!

That’s awesome that you’re doing your first half in January! Kudos. I know how much hard work you’ve already put in to get this far in your training. Wait until you’re part of the crowd at the starting line…such amazing, positive energy…you’ll know it was all worth it.

Drop me a line via email, twitter, Facebook or at my blog to let me know how you did!

Best of luck and enjoy!!