Guest Author Stacey Joy Netzel on Parental Pride

I am so pleased to welcome author and friend Stacey Joy Netzel. I’ve been a fan of Stacey’s since discovering her Welcome To Redemption series of short, sweet romances (I don’t write short, but I read them like eating candy!).  You can learn all about her on her website, but here’s a quickie intro:

Stacey fell in love with books at a young age, so for her the graduation to writing them was natural. An avid reader and fan of movies with a happily ever after, she is thrilled to call herself a full-time writer after 20 years as a travel agent. She writes romantic suspense, contemporary romance, and the occasional paranormal short story just for fun. She lives in her native Wisconsin with her husband and three children, a couple horses and some barn cats. In her limited free time she enjoys gardening, canning, and visiting her parents in Northeastern Wisconsin (Up North) at the family cabin on the lake.

And now, without further ado, here’s Stacey to talk about the pride her dad has in her writing. (And learn how you can get a free digital copy of one of her holiday short stories!)

* * * * * * * * * *

“My Dad Brags About the Smut I Write” by Stacey Joy Netzel

I’ve been writing with the intent to make Full-time Author my career title since 2004. In August of this year I was able to make that dream a reality. I first published in 2007, and in all that time, my parents were very vocal in how proud of me they were/are.

My dad, Butch, in particular seemed to love telling people all about my writing. Many times the conversation would go something like this abbreviated version:

“My daughter is a published author.”

“Really? What does she write?”

“Romance books.” (and sometimes, I swear, he’d actually say “Smut books.”)

“That’s great!”

“Yeah. But I’ve never read any of her books.”

“Shame on you! You should be reading your daughter’s books.”

“I know, and I will.”

And yet he didn’t—even after I created a character in my Romancing Wisconsin series and named him Santa Butch (which my relatives really got a kick out of). So, after hearing the above conversation over and over, either by being present or my mom or an aunt telling me about it, I began to realize that my dad will take attention any way he can get it. I love the man, but let me tell you, at times he almost seemed proud that he hadn’t read any.

My mom Judy always buys a copy of my books, and one time Dad said, “I’ll read your mom’s.” Mom shot back, “Support your daughter, buy your own!” Surprisingly, he did. Here’s how I signed it:

Dad, here’s another book you can brag to everyone that you haven’t read. Love you! Stacey

He laughed. See? More negative attention. (The man never did grow up.)

However, this past spring, everything changed. My dear daddy had foot surgery and was off his feet for 6 weeks. He asked which book he should start with, and knowing he’d like a bit of western in with the romance, I suggested Trust in the Lawe. I wasn’t so sure he’d actually read like he said he would, so I wanted to raise the odds of hooking him.

Now, in the past 50 years, my 71 yr old father *may* have read one book. I seem to remember a paperback western sitting on the back of the toilet for about a year… However, he read my book in about a week. I know, he was in a forced sitting position with not much else to do, but after that first book, he moved on to the next, and the next and yes, the next. He told me he couldn’t put them down, and that he was amazed at how I came up with the plots. They sparked a few conversations at the bonfire this summer. He loved my kick-ass heroine Marley in Shattered Trust, talked to me about my characters Colton and Kendra as if they were real people, and then…*Cringe*…he started commenting on the sex scenes.

Yeah, I did NOT want to talk to my dad about them or know if he enjoyed them at all. LOL

Anyway, he’s now read at least 5 of my books and is working on the Mistletoe stories that feature his namesake. He’s slowed down a bit with his foot healed, but these days when he brags to people about his daughter being an author, he gets to tell them how much he loves my books, too. It sounds SO much better—although, unfortunately, I do believe the word ‘smut’ still gets used, darn it!

If you’d like to meet Santa Butch and Judy, check out Mistletoe Mischief, book 1 in my Romancing Wisconsin series. It’s FREE at Apple, ARe, Kobo, SW, and $0.99 Amazon and BN. (Kindle and Nook owners, if you email me at staceyjoynetzel (at) gmail . com, I’m happy to gift you a copy.)

Hopefully you’ll enjoy the story and want more of Santa Butch in the next two books, Mistletoe Magic and Mistletoe Match-Up.

Thanks!
— Stacey Joy Netzel

* * * * * * * *

Thanks!  Stacey will be checking in throughout the day if you have questions for her, but what I want to know is this: have you ever shared a romance book with a…non-believer—and turned them into a fan of romance fiction? Share your stories!

About Amy Atwell

Amy Atwell is a storyteller at heart. After fifteen years in professional theater, she turned from the stage to the page to write contemporary capers and historical tales that combine romance and adventure. Her books are available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. When not writing, she runs the online author communities WritingGIAM and Author E.M.S.
This entry was posted in Giveaway, Guest Posts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Guest Author Stacey Joy Netzel on Parental Pride

1. Amy Atwell says:

Welcome, Stacey! What a fun story about your dad, and I love that you based a character on him in your book series. Looks like a fun read! My dad never read my books, I think it was hard enough knowing my mom read them—and she’s a huge romance fan. My nephew (currently stationed in Afghanistan) has asked to read one of my books. I think you’ve inspired me to send him a hard copy for Christmas!

• Amy, I have a younger cousin (I’m 40, he’s 19, 20?) who read Chasin’ Mason a few years ago. When he told me he really liked it, all I could think was “Oh, man, he read the sex scenes!” Now he’s bought a few more of my books at family reunions and I’m over it. :)

Send the book to your nephew! Definitely!!! He’ll probably share it over there, too.

• And sorry about my manners this morning,

Thank you for having me on the blog! :)

2. Stacey -

What a great story! Although I’m not sure I would’ve wanted my dad to read my books (fairly hot), I truly regret my mom was never able to read a published book by me before she passed away earlier this year. I do take heart, however, that she was reading Nancy Naigle’s Sweet Tea and Secrets just before she went into the hospital.

Have a great day!
    Kelsey
    Kelsey Browning`s last blog was …Red Hot Read: Texas Two Step

• Kelsey, sorry for your loss and that your mom wasn’t able to read one of your published books. Sounds like she was a reader, so I’m sure she was proud of you for pursuing your dreams!

Stacey, it’s so great to see another Wis. author succeed. My mom read all my short mystery stories. I know she would have read my romances if she were still alive. She was a huge reader and very proud of me.

I’m looking forward to reading Mistletoe Mischief!

• Edie, I haven’t gotten the chance to read all your stuff, but what I’ve read, I’ve loved! If your mom enjoyed your shorts, I have no doubt she’d have loved the novels, too. :)

I don’t know if you know this, but listening to you at one of the Milwaukee WisRWA meetings back in the spring of 2011 is what totally convinced me to give this indie ‘thing’ a try. So here’s a belated THANK YOU!!! *big grin*

4. Cynthia Eden says:

What a great story! It sure seems like you have a wonderful relationship with Santa Butch. ;)
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …THE BETTER TO BITE–Out Now!

5. I’ve heard the story and am lucky enough to know your parents, but it still makes me smile. Your dad is such a character. :-) I still remember when he sat down next to me at one of our book signings and said, “So you write, too…are they dirty?” LOL

I also remember the first time my mom called to tell me how much she loved my Liza James stories (erotic romance)…and that my grandpa loved them too…!!! I’m hard to rattle, but I have to admit I felt myself grow warm over that one. He wanted to know when my next one was coming out…still funny to think about.

I converted both my SIL and exSIL into avid romance readers. My SIL insisted she only read Reader’s Digest & had no idea how I could read that “stuff”. :-)
    Donna Marie Rogers`s last blog was …Lucky 7 – I’m sharing from my Welcome To Redemption wip!

• Hey, Donna! Thanks for stopping by, but shouldn’t you be writing??? Donna’s my co-author of the Welcome to Redemption series and I’m supposed to be nagging her to get her next story finished so we can publish book 7 and 8 before Christmas. So everyone nag her, too!

Yeah, Donna, can’t imagine my grandparents reading my books! (They’re long gone, so I won’t have to worry about that one.) From all you’ve told me, your grandpa sounds like even more of a character than my dad. So glad your mom loved your books!

6. Amy R says:

It was nice to meet you on here, Stacey. I haven’t read any of your books yet but plan to check them out! That is such a fun story about your Dad. I can’t imagine what my dad would think of reading a romance book. I actually have read some parts or romance books to my husband when I thought something was particularly funny or even a little fun intimately. I have tried to get my husband to read one of Misty Evans’ Super Agent books. I figure he might like those but he hasn’t yet…I am still working on him. I am off to download Mistletoe Mischief from SW! Thanks for the gift!

• Hey, Amy, nice to meet you, too–I hope you like Mistletoe Mischief. I’m in the same boat as you with my husband. He read one of my short stories once and when he was done, I waited anxiously for him say something until I had to ask if he liked it. He said, “It’s was okay.” After that, I haven’t even bothered to suggest he read anything else. LOL I take small comfort in knowing that the only things he really seems to enjoy reading are computer programming books (Zzzzzz) and political books (not necessarily fiction).

7. Stacey,

I’ve read all your books, a few of them twice. Loved Santa Butch in the Mistletoe books. Sorry I read them them. I’d love to meet your dad. He’s quite the character. Great post.

Amy,

My neighbors know I’m a writer and published. I’ve got them reading even the one who doesn’t read anything but magazines. He’s started on Fireweed and loving it because it’s set in Alaska which he wants to visit and at a fishing lodge which he also loves to do. I have to say since I have the neighbors reading, neighborly visits are now about my books and characters.

My oldest son is my #1 PR guy. He talks to everyone about his Mom and sells lots of books for me. I’ve a “fan” club in his hometown who’d love to have me come to visit. He brags he’s read the dedication to one which I dedicate to him for his help and will read when he has time. So I guess he’s like Stacey’s dad. Just younger.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Sandy’s Backside

• Casey, I’m working (well, it’s not really work) my way through yours, too and have enjoyed every one! That’s awesome about your neighbors, but I want your son’s email address. Seriously. It’s great he promotes your books, but he needs to get some serious SH!T for not reading one, just like my dad! :)

Stacey, welcome to MM! I’m looking forward to reading Mistletoe Mischief…I love shorts and I love holiday stories! Your dad sounds like an awesome guy. My dad is very supportive and once told me to write whatever the heck I wanted to and not to worry about what anyone thought of it. It was great advice. :grin:

Thanks for the free read!

9. Amazon price matched the book to FREE (today, I think), so if you have a Kindle you can download in one click from there!

Hi Stacey,
    Welcome to magicalmusings.com! And I love your story. My dad won’t come close to my books because they have swearing in them. Shrug. My mom is a big fan though :)

Love the sound of Santa Butch. Sounds like a great short story!

11. Jill James says:

Great story. I was so surprised that my husband reads my books on his phone. My mom and dad both passed away before I was published, so they didn’t read anything of mine.
    Jill James`s last blog was …The Election — Jill James

12. Stacey, that’s an awesome story. Love how your mom told your father to buy his own copy. LOL. They sound like such wonderful people. You are so lucky to have their full support.

BTW, I great pic. Very pretty.

• Jennifer, yes, I count myself very lucky. Congrats again to you on your recent sale and I hope you and your MIL have a great day checking it out the first day it’s in the stores!

13. Stacey, fab story and your dad sounds like a great guy! My dad is 89, so my stepmother reads my books to him – skipping the sex scenes!

Looking forward to reading the Mistletoe books!
    Vanessa Kelly`s last blog was …What I’m Reading This Week

• Vanessa, that’s so sweet that your stepmother reads to your dad! I totally don’t blame her for skipping the sex scenes, though. :) Not that they’re not great (I know from having read them), but I’d probably skip ‘em too if I was reading outloud to someone.

14. Amy Atwell says:

Wow! This joint is jumpin’ today. Thanks so much to Stacey for sharing an entertaining story (plus free reading for us all!).
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …The Classics Are, Well… Classic.

15. Jamie Kersten says:

Hey Stacey, great post. It’s wonderful that your parents share with everyone how proud they are of you. I’m really glad that your dad has finally started reading your books and is enjoying them so much. I think I would want to draw the line at discussing sex scenes with my relatives, too. Hope he keeps reading and loving your books!

• Hey, Jamie–thanks! Yeah, relatives is the key word there. It was really fun when my sister read one of the love scenes in Chasin’ Mason out loud to her hubby on the drive up north and then I got to spend the weekend with his comments. :) I’m getting better about it, but still don’t want to think of my dad reading them, so I definitely don’t want to talk about them AT ALL w/him.

16. How cute! My husband sounds like your father, he’s never read one of my books. But I don’t take it personally because he rarely reads any books. I looove holiday books! Going to check it out!

17. Sandy says:

:razz: Yay for your dad, Stacey. I’ve read your Redemption stories, and I know I would love your Law series as well. You’re a great writer, and I’m so glad you’re able to devote all your time to your career now.
    Sandy`s last blog was …Happy Thanksgiving Contest