It’s In His Kiss

According to my husband, one of the most “liked” photos on Facebook is a recent post-election picture of a hugging Barack & Michelle Obama.  This calls to mind another image–one of the same couple caught on the “kiss cam” at a USA exhibition basketball game.  Although the couple eventually smooched, this happened only after Obama initially failed to kiss his wife the first time the camera focused on them, resulting in playful “boos” from the crowd.

I found an article that throws out some possible reasons Obama “flubbed” that initial kiss.  Was it because the moment wasn’t pre-planned by a focus group during an election year?  Because Obama didn’t realize what a “kiss cam” was? Or because Obama was simply being clueless in the affection department?  After all, according to Peter Grier, the article’s author, “When you’ve been a husband as long as he has, candlelit dinners mean the power’s out. A weed whacker might seem a perfectly appropriate anniversary gift.”

No kidding, right?  I’m willing to bet romance authors and readers have received their fair share of flubbed “romantic” gifts and gestures.  (I’m still a bit baffled by the box of miniature Tabasco sauce bottles I got one Christmas…)

No matter the reason for Obama’s initial hesitation, and no matter one’s political views,  I think it’s obvious the first couple is close. Doesn’t mean their relationship is any more perfect than yours or mine, but as is the case with a certain William and Kate’s, it warms the heart to think that even presidents and princes can be brought to their knees by love.

So what slightly (or completely) off-the-mark romantic gift or gesture have you received that makes you shake your head even as you smile?

This entry was posted in Virna's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to It’s In His Kiss

You stayed up later than I did on election night. I missed the speech. I think Obama and Michelle are a very romantic couple, even if he missed a kiss. When they’re together, you can see the affection and the spark. Unlike the phony clinch between Al Gore and his now ex-wife Tipper, there is nothing awkward between them when they kiss.

2. My gifts are pretty decent because I tell my husband exactly what him to get me. lol. But i have refused to allow him to get me anything that belongs in a kitchen as a gift. Even if i really need new pans or dishes, I won’t let him buy them as a gift because, one its for everyone, and two I worry it will just go downhill from there.

• Virna DePaul says:

You approach gift giving in a very smart way, Lori!! I totally agree on the kitchen ban as a general rule but loved the gift of gourmet cooking classes. :)

Fun subject, Virna. My hubs is pretty romantic so he usually goes overboard…especially with electronic products that I probaby wouldn’t buy for myself, so that’s nice. And he knows I’m a bag lover, so he often takes me shopping and lets me pick a new for my collection. ;-)

4. Amy R says:

My husband is not a romantic when it comes to gifts. Our love language is just not gift giving, so neither of us do it very well. However, if there is something he knows I really want he will do his best to get it. For example, he surprised me with a Nook on my birthday a couple of years ago (am now begging Santa for an upgrade). My son, who is 11, is great at coming up with gifts that people really want. He remembers when people talk about things. He is going to make an awesome boyfriend/husband some day. Fun post! I do like to see couples show affection in public (I saw the picture of Barak and Michelle hugging). It just warms my heart and makes them human.

5. LOL, Virna!
    I just had to say that your box mini tabasco sauce bottles made me laugh ;).
    I’ve gotten my share of appliances and cooking utensils, but they’re usually things I really want, so it’s all good… Enjoyed your fun post!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Winners & Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts!

• Virna DePaul says:

Yes, sometimes a gift that is practical can be heartwarming, too. In the end, it is the amount of thought that went into the gift that really counts. Thanks for commenting!

6. Amy Atwell says:

Virna, I love the mini tabasco bottles! What a great gift. My husband and I don’t have kids, so some years we sort of “skip” Christmas. Last year was one of those years, but about two weeks before Christmas we were watching television and my husband turned to me and said, “I think we should get a kitten.” It was a quite a surprise, but we went that weekend and found John Robie the Cat. He’s a pretty cool gift!

Hi Virna,
    I’ve had my share of nonloving Xmas gifts. Then again, I’m single now so maybe that was a contributing factor. Lol. One of my sons is a Xmas fanatic and alawys goes overboard on gifting.

He adores giving and always gets the rest of us into the spirit.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Maddy’s Floor is on Free for 2 days!