What I’m Thankful For

Seeing how I have the first blogging Monday after Thanksgiving, I decided to list a few things that I’m thankful for.  For some reason I’ve been thinking about this all weekend.  Probably all of those Facebook posts from people who are listing things to be thankful for … but it got me thinkin’.

Growing up, it was difficult to appreciate just what you had.  I’m one of nine siblings with a father who worked hard at a factory job and a stay at home mom.  As a result, we didn’t have much.  We were on church lists for contributions, made do with macaroni and cheese at least twice a week, was part of charities that made sure each child had a holiday gift.  Not a bit of food was ever wasted but rather recycled into something that was usually unidentifiable … yet we ate it.  Pets?  Not a chance.  That was another mouth to feed.

Yet, I was never really aware of the fact that we were considered “poor”.  We were loved.  We never went hungry.  We had a roof over our heads.  We had lots of friends.

All things I’m still thankful for … and a few more:

I have a family I love.

Friends I wouldn’t trade for anything.

A small, but nice roof over my head.

Not a lot of money, but enough for what we need.

A stable job I enjoy.

A potential writing career that I’m cultivating.

I’m grateful for the health I have and the years I’ve been given.

Sure, there are things that I’d like to have … material things, but those aren’t all that important when you think about it.  The holidays are upon us and it really is a time for reflection.  Doesn’t matter what your beliefs are … we all celebrate in a different, yet strangely similar manner.  In the end, I think my little list pretty much says a lot about me.  What I value.  What I consider important.

So, what are you thankful for?

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to What I’m Thankful For

Liz, I’m thankful to have you as a friend. :) Since my cat is on my desktop right now, purring, I’ll say her. And my dog – though she woke me at 5:30 this morning. Of course my family and friends, and readers and fan letters. I’m thankful for my health. I’m thankful for all the experiences that led up to this moment (well, most of them), and all the experiences yet to come.

• Liz Kreger says:

Great list, Edie. Nice that I’m at the top of it. :cool: Priorities are important. After listening to a few of the “Black Friday” shopping stories, I could only shake my head in amazement that these people turn into total animals for a “deal” that really isn’t a deal. The stores merely crank the price and then “reduce” it. Pitiful.

Liz, it’s always good to reflect on what we’re grateful for. I try to start each day coming up with three specific things I’m thankful for…friends, family and my career are always there. This morning, I was thankful for the hot water for my shower, that my husband ground fresh beans for the coffee, and for the auto-start on his truck that I used to haul the kids to school on this very cold morning!

• Liz Kreger says:

Can’t say I start my day dwelling on everything I’m thankful for, but I like to think that my good fortune surfaces in my mind from time to time. :lol:

And I hear ya on the auto-start. I want one of those.

3. Your “little” list says a great deal about you and the lovely woman we all know and appreciate. Your story reflects mine in many ways. I suspect it resonates with many of us.

Thank you for sharing.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …November 22nd

• Liz Kreger says:

Unless people are totally goofy, Casey, I think my list pretty much encompasses most other thankful lists. When I read the newspaper, half the time I gotta question the priorities of some people … or lack thereof.

4. Liz,
    I really like the list of things you’re thankful for…and I think you’re right, we may celebrate the holidays in different ways, but the key things we do are often the same. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving :).

5. Amy Atwell says:

Liz, what a lovely reminder to us all that even when we don’t have much, there are important things we should never take for granted. Wishing you and your family a great holiday season!
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Favorite Christmas Stories

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Amy. I always look forward to the holidays. Sure, its a strenuous time for me and sometimes I find it overwhelming, but surprisingly everything seems to come together.

6. Amy R says:

I would say my list is similar to yours. I haven’t done the Thankful thing so many of my friends are doing on FB but when I see theirs I mentally think about what I am thankful for that day. It seems I never realize I am thankful for something until it is gone. Like the basic things of food and shelter and hot water. Today, I am thankful that my kids did not fight me when getting read in the morning. I am thankful the little fight my husband and I had yesterday is over and we have made up. It sure is nice kissing him again. :)

Hi Liz,

At the top of my list are my kids. I can’t imagine them not in my life! Thanks for the reminder!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Update on books, just released, in progress, and upcoming

8. I’m grateful for so many things, and right at the top, with my family, is my friends.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Release day for The Emperor’s Conspiracy!