Away with the fairies

I’m on the Isle of Man at the moment, so of course, I’m away with the fairies. I’ve been over the Fairy Bridge three times already and said hello to the fairies each time. :)

I love going to places with a real sense of identity and a strong cultural heritage, and the Isle of Man is certainly one of them. There is a palpable sense of history and ancient atmosphere here.

I’m really enjoying learning more about the myths and legends of the IOM on this trip, and getting into the local customs. My kids are loving it, too.

Here it is all about the little people. Not warm and fuzzy with lots of sparkle, they demand respect and on the IOM, they get it. As someone once said, the IOM is actually a place where there could be fairies at the bottom of your garden. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised.

Here, if you don’t greet the fairies going over the fairy bridge, you will get an unpleasant surprise. A friend forgot to say hello and lost her tyre on the downhill bend. It actually passed her before she realised she was driving on three tyres. She never forgot again :) .

What is the most interesting myth or legend you’ve heard? (I’m looking forward to hearing some good ones!)

About Michelle Diener

Michelle Diener writes historical fiction and fantasy. To find out more about her and her novels, you can visit her website.
This entry was posted in Michelle's Posts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Away with the fairies

Right now I think Santa Claus is a pretty good myth. Along with flying reindeer! :)

I don’t know much about IOM but will research it today. It sounds like a lovely place. I bet you’ll come home with new story ideas. I hope you have a great holiday!

2. Amy R says:

Do you travel a lot, Michelle? It seems you have posted a blog from some neat locations. Actually never heard of Isle of Man so I had to look it up. The picture you posted is pretty! As for a myth or legend? Hmm, is the Loch Ness Monster real? Big Foot? Hope you are having a great time!

3. What a fun and fascinating trip, Michelle!
    I’ve never been to the Isle of Man and I don’t really know a lot of myths, particularly involving fairies (although I have to agree with Edie’s and Amy’s great suggestions :) ), but the one that springs to mind first are leprechauns and their pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Jane’s 237th Birthday & a 99-Cent Ebook Deal!

4. Lori says:

I’ve never been there! So jealous! Hope you’re having a wonderful time :)

• Michelle Diener says:

This is my third trip, as I have family living here, Lori. I always have a great time here, thank you.

5. Cynthia Eden says:

Jealous! I want to go away with the fairies!
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …DALE MAYER is taking over… (With a GARDEN OF SORROW giveaway)

Hope you’re having a good time, Michelle. Like everyone above, I’m jealous.

Love the legend of the fairies. I’m trying to think of something, but coming up blank.