Saying Good-bye – to 2012

The year is ending and I, for one, am happy to say goodbye.  2012 was a good year for me, but a tough year. So I’m not sorry to see it end. I don’t mind working hard, but for a lot of reason’s 2012 was almost too hard.

I’m a multi-tasker by nature, yet 2012 put those skills to the test by forcing me to increase my day to day activities and basically quadrupling my output. It seemed like the more I did, the more I still had left to do.

It was the year of running flat out to just stay in the same place.

Sure there were many triumphs. I dropped a massive amount of weight and hit my goal BMI – a huge success.  Losing the weight was a step in the right direction but…not quite enough as the journey back to health isn’t quite finished.

I had great success in sales – not breakout success like many authors experienced, but solid steady growth that kept me happy as I continued to write new books. I loved all the wonderful reviews and fan letters I received! Such joy to read.

But the very nature of the business meant that there was always that sense of being behind. That I needed to write more, revise faster, work harder. Of course, I’m hardest on myself! Something else I want to work on this coming year. I need to detach more. View the achievements, not the problems. Work on having a more positive attitude. It’s not that I’m pessimistic, but I get buried easily, and then can’t see the forest for the trees.

With 2013 around the corner, I wonder just how much will actually change? I still have 3 books in first draft form, 3 books in revision stage, one being written and then there are the two older ones I’m completely rewriting. In other words, I’m still buried! Lol.

Still, turning the calendar page brings hope.  And a new beginning. And new plans. And goals. And wishes.

My goal for 2012 is to work smarter. Do I have any idea of how to do that? Maybe.  It has more to do with setting up a routine and sticking with it. Always having a book to write and a book to revise. Minimizing distractions, shortening online time, and setting up a promo plan that is doable. And the biggest change is to schedule time off. I’d like to reclaim my weekends for down time and family time. I can do that if I make better use of Monday through Friday.

That won’t be easy. But that’s why new beginnings are so much fun. I get to try new things, new ways of doing things. A clean slate. And I love those. There are always such unexpected and fun turns in the road that I hate to plan too much. I love seeing where life takes me.

I have lots of wonderful books planned and heart warming characters to bring to life. And I can’t wait. :)

I am so looking forward to 2013! So happy New Year everyone!

What things are you happy to say good-bye to? What are you planning on changing in 2013?

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Dale's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Saying Good-bye – to 2012

Dale, time management is on the top of my list right now. Starting Jan. 2nd, I’m going to keep track of everything I do and how much time it took. I know I’m wasting a lot of time.

I think you’re way too hard on yourself. It’s rare to be a breakout hit. Most writers start out slowly and build a readership. A year ago, you would’ve looked at where you are now and have been thrilled. You should hug yourself and say, “Hey, I’m doing great!”

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Edie,
      Lol – I just added working on a positive attitude to my list of things to work on 2013! Thanks for the reminder. I don’t consider myself a pessimist, but more someone who is always so buried, she can’t see her way clear of the accomplishments to recognize them!

Time management is such an issue for so many people! I think keeping a daily journal would help. I find just even writing lists helps! At least at the end of the day, I can see what I’ve done.

Good luck with the goals!

Goals? There’s such a thing as goals? Wow. What a novel concept. :roll:

Let’s see. I figure I’ll be lucky to complete the UF I’ve been working on for far too long … however, the end is really in sight. It’s gettin’ there that I’m having problems with. New chemo treatment is not helping matters. I really have to carve out home time to devote exclusively to my writing, which is never easy. The weekly Writing Sprints we do at the Brookfield Barnes & Noble are a huge help, but not enough.

I also need to read over a couple of my completed books and run them by my agent to see if she has any interest. If she doesn’t, I have to plan out self-pubbing ‘em. With the full time job, the family and whatnot … I’m not sure where I’m going to find the time. Maybe I should start taking my “go-go pills” in the evening so that I’m awake most of the night. Prime time for getting ANYTHING done. Don’t know what that’ll do to my day, though. :lol: I could get first hand experience with zombie characterization.

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Liz!
      With all the health issues, it’s amazing that you get as much done as you do! I have no reason to complain about my issues. You attitude is so wonderful.

Do self publish your completed books! There is a whole audience waiting to devour them. And I hear you on completing books in progress. I tend to start and have trouble finishing. I’m grateful I have only one book in progress at the moment. I hate the pressure of having multiple half written books out there :( My characters are too real for me. I have to write their stories!

I could join you in creating a group of zombie writers??? We can work from midnight to four – sleep for two hours and carry on with our daily lives. :)
      Sounds like the zombie zone to me!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Head banging here!

3. Amy R says:

I liked the new year as a clean slate. I am still thinking about what I want to do different in 2013. I can think of about 20 of them but know that I can’t do them all so I need to narrow them down and put action plans in place. My husband and I would like to start family goals. Our kids are in 3rd and 5th grades and we want to set some family goals and then reward ourselves each quarter with something like a weekend trip to Chicago or the Wis Dells (kids love indoor water parks) or something. That will be the biggest change – working as a family to accomplish goals. I guess the new year is right around the corner so I need to get cracking, huh? Happy New Year to you all!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Amy,

I like the idea of rewards every quarter! I should consider something like that. I forgot and still haven’t rewarded myself for the major weight loss. Sure I’m in smaller clothes now, but I never actually bought something or did something special as an acknowledgement of my accomplishment. I have to remember to mark the milestones in a meaningful way.

And the New Year IS right around the corner – like when did that happen???

Have a great one! :)
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Head banging here!

4. Dale,
    Add me to the list of people that have to manage my time a little better next year… I get a fair amount of stuff done in a day but, as you said, there’s still SO MUCH MORE to do!! I’m sure I squander too much time on social media and just staring blankly at the computer screen ;).
    Happy New Year to you!!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Marilyn,
      I hear you on the social media stuff! and how is it that we can spend so much time doing nothing???

Thanks for the best wishes – right back at you! Let’s hope it’s a great year for us all!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Head banging here!

5. Cynthia Eden says:

Can I steal your goal of working smarter? Because that’s what I’d like to do, too!!! Here’s to 2013 being a great year for everyone!
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …Happy Holidays!!!

6. Pingback: 1 Year, 11 Authors, 42 Books, 3 Giveaways | Magical Musings

7. blodeuedd says:

Good work with the BMI :)
    I tried a bit in the fall, but then came xmas..big fail. Still I started working on building some tiny muscles and that works. I shall keep it up in 2013
    blodeuedd`s last blog was …Review: The Girl who chased the Moon – Sarah Addison Allen