What’s Coming Down the Road?

NookI just had this discussion with my 13 year old daughter … who would know best what the latest and greatest bit of technology is in development.  At least, far better than I.  The whole discussion came around when she managed to get her 4G Lucid phone stolen because she was careless enough (or too lazy) not to put a second quarter in a locker at the local roller skating rink.  As a result I forced her to use her “old” phone, which (gasp) was over THREE YEARS OLD!  Technically speaking, it had pretty much all the same features of her 4G phone … texting, calling, internet, you could download apps, etc. … but it was THREE YEARS OLD!  You’d think I had sentenced her to prison.

Well, too bad, so sad.  Let’s just say a lesson has been learned during this experience.  I would have gone with telling her she was outta luck with any phone and forbidden her to even use the old one, but she’s at the age where her activities make it necessary for me to be able to get in touch with her.  Lucky for her I did manage to get hold of our cell phone carrier and was able to get an early upgrade and therefore, a replacement phone.  It’s still not the latest.  We’re talkin’ an i-Phone 4 here, but still better than the THREE YEAR OLD one.  She doesn’t know its coming yet.  I’ll let her stew for awhile. :wink:

It did get us talking about the technology we have today.  How, even though the i-Phone 5 just came out, the development of the i-Phone 6 is already in the works.  The i-Pad 4?  Pft.  That’s almost old news.  A newer and better one is coming out within a year.  Sometimes it seems like technology is running itself over trying to be new and improved.

As far as I’m concerned, the development of the e-reader was probably the best thing to come out since cell phones.  Yeah, I know, there would be argument there, but I’m an avid reader.  I love it that I’m able to download however many books onto one device, tuck it into my purse and off I go.  When on vacation, I used to pack away at least five books.  Gets a little bulky.  With my Nook, I don’t have to worry about that.  If I finish one book, I have more to chose from.  If I find that I’m losing interest in a story … move on.

I deliberately got an older version of the Nook … or should I say, I strongly suggested to hubby that I wanted this particular Nook for my birthday.  Took putting the brochure on the table, a big red circle around the one I wanted and my daughter taking daddy by the hand and leading him to the local B&N.  Sad, but true.  The man doesn’t have a clue when it comes to gift buying.  Anyway, I didn’t want all the bells and whistles, even though the latest Nook had just come out and the Kindle Fire was just down the road.  I didn’t want to be able to play games, surf the ‘net or the 101 other things you can do on the newer versions.  I just wanted an e-reader that I was able to read my books on.  Sure, I can access the ‘net with the one I have, there are a few games on it, and allows downloading audio books, but I rarely, if ever, use any of those (other than the downloading).  Just wanna read my books.

So, for me, having the latest and the greatest isn’t necessary.  I thought about getting an i-Pad.  My daughter has one and she loves it.  You can barely unglue it from her hands.  But upon reflection, I decided I really didn’t need it.  I have my Nook, I have my cell phone, an i-Pod and a laptop.  Everything that an i-Pad would give me.  Like I said, I don’t play games, don’t need to constantly surf the ‘net, and can live without facebook in a heartbeat.  I just didn’t have enough use for it.

How ‘bout you?  What devices do you have that you just cannot live without and what new technology are you looking forward to?

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to What’s Coming Down the Road?

1. Amy R says:

Hi Liz! My 11 year old son just can’t wait to get his hands on a cell phone. He is in 5th grade and we told him when he started junior high he would get his own cell phone. Of course he believes he is getting the latest and greatest smart phone. We told him it all would come down to cost of our plan when we upgrade. Regarding other devices, I received a Nook Simple Touch for Christmas. I had the 1st Edition Nook for a year and a half and was wanting an upgrade for the size, weight, and speed difference. I too, had no interest in playing games or surfing the web. I just wanted to read. I do love the Simple Touch. It is much lighter than the 1st edition and so much faster. :)

• Liz Kreger says:

My daughter was 11 when we finally broke down and got her a cell phone, Amy. It just became necessary when keeping track of her. I certainly don’t regret letting her have one at such an early age even though a number of friends said I was nuts. Still, this was the first real careless incident.

Anyway, the Nook I have (I forget which version) is the size and has the weight of a regular book … which I love. When I first got it, I even found myself trying to turn pages manually. :lol:

Liz, so sorry about the lost phone. I’m the same way with me, only I have the Kindle with 3G that I pretty much only use for easy downloads. Like you, I don’t want distractions while I’m reading my books.

• Liz Kreger says:

Yeah, the stolen phone was a PITA. Particularly since it was after 10:30 at night and I was tired as hell. Had to call our cellular carrier and immediately deactivate it. There was nothing we could do about the stuff she had on the phone itself … i.e., photos, apps, games, whatnot. I’m just hopin’ it was a kid who wanted the phone and will clear all of her material. Needless to say, we reamed the little darlin’ out.

Sounds like as readers, we seems to like it simple when it comes to our e-readers. My brother has the latest and greatest, but he’s also one to utilize the other features beyond just reading. Tsk.

Hi Liz,
    I’m the same on technology – with one difference. I like the simple, but know the jump to learn new things can be tough and I don’t want to get too far behind. I already feel behind in some ways. I have a simple cellphone. Yikes it’s a whole 2 years old. But doesn’t have swipe or any of the other million extras my old kids cell phones have. In truth I don’t even have it as my daughter carries it around so we can get a hold of her. They get their own fancy phones when they have a job to pay the monthly fees!

And not before. LOL. I have 4 kids and it’s just me paying the main bills, so if I sound like a hard @ss – that’s why. sigh.

As for ereaders I have a kindle that’s about 1.5 years old. It’s find. I use it for work, mostly. I’ll get an ipad most likely this year – or a similar tablet, and like everything else, my daughter is likely to confiscate it!

Oh hell, I hear ya about making the kids pay their own. If I had four kids I’d do the same. Lucky for the little darlin’, she’s an only child.

Whenever we upgrade our cell phones, I deliberately get the same one as my daughter. That way I (1) know what the latest and greatest is … or as far as I’m willing to pay for the latest and the greatest; and (2) I can check up on her if need be. Can’t do that if I don’t know how to access her phone. She sorta sidelined me when she installed passwords, but I insist on knowing what they are. You can’t be too careful nowadays with all the social media information out there. Fortunately she’s smart enough never to give much personal information. In fact, she rarely posts on fb anymore. Believe me, I check regularly … and so does her aunt here in Wisconsin and my best friend (and her godmother) in Seattle, WA. The poor kid can’t get away with spit. :twisted:

5. Liz,
    I truly cannot live without my iPod… Aside from that one, though, I’m very attached to our GPS and I love my Kindle. I still have a flip phone so, clearly, I’m at least a decade behind the times there ;).

• Liz Kreger says:

Oooo, the GPS. I’m with you on that one. I would literally be lost without it. The heck with MapQuest. My GPS is a life saver as far as I’m concerned.

My husband has a flip phone. He told me when we first got cell phones that he wanted simple, simple, simple. No bells and whistles, no texting, nuthin’. Okay, that’s what he got and he’s perfectly happy. Just wants to be able to make and receive calls.

I love my laptop, my iPod, and my Kindle Fire. They all make life easier for me in different ways. I have to have my music and my books everywhere I go. I like the Fire for when I’m at home, in bed, and ready to read. Or when I want to listen to my tunes while I’m cooking. The iPod Touch I carry with me in the car. The laptop is a must for my writing life.

I have an older cell phone and was looking to upgrade it. My kids have Trac Phones. I figured we were due for upgrades with a nice family plan…until I saw the prices for everything. Think I’ll be sticking with my old phone until it dies!

• Liz Kreger says:

Yeah, the price of family plans are a pretty steep, Misty. We were with Verizon when we first got cell phones, but switched to T-Mobile because it was a lower price. I regretted it and after the contract was up, went back to Verizon. Yes, the monthly payments are more, but the quality is better, hubby was getting his messages (which were being dropped during the other plan), and we have a lot more coverage in more remote areas. There are some things I’m willing to pay extra for and reliability is one. The business with the stolen phone is also an example. I actually got a warm body to speak with. Plus he went above and beyond the call of duty and in the end, saved me about a hundred bucks … if not more. :cool:

I use my i-Pod a lot during the evenings when I’m just paging through FB, but its my Nook that I use the most. The laptop is totally for convenience. I cannot see lugging the desktop around when I want to write elsewhere. :shock:

7. Amy Atwell says:

Liz, I feel for your daughter. I remember that teenage angst of somehow being *behind.* She will squeal when she learns you got her a new phone.

As for me, I’m a bit of a tech junkie–to my fiction writing detriment. My office is filled with electronics. My husband is like you–old, old phone that, um, makes calls. No text, no Internet. He loves it. Drives me batty. I love unplugging, but on a daily basis, I feel the need to be connected. Computer, iPhone, new iPad, Kobo, 2 Nooks–the only thing I’m missing is a Kindle, and it’s on my list. I do a lot of testing of ebook files, so I’m buying many of these digital devices now as business expenses. No, my husband doesn’t believe me, either. He knows I’m a geek for gadgets.

I really should pull out that Wii I bought 3 years ago…
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Favorite Christmas Stories

• Liz Kreger says:

Oh yeah, you’re definitely a techno-geek, Amy. But, hey … it’s necessary in your line of work. You have to keep up with the latest and the greatest or get left behind. I do feel that I have to at least have a working knowledge of a lot of stuff. It doesn’t mean that I’m going to run out and buy a brand new Nook just because I could get it in color. I really don’t care. However, if it were necessary for a business? Yeah, I’d try to swing that whole “business expense” argument. Works for me. :grin:

8. Until a few weeks ago, I thought I couldn’t live without my netbook. The hard drive crashed and everything was lost…or so I thought. I backup WIPs by emailing them to myself. So real lesson here is that I can’t live without internet access and a computer. We have three more laptops in the house, so all I really lost was a day’s worth of work. But as long as I have my emailed backups, I’m good. :D Even better, I’ve successfully replaced the netbook’s hard drive all by myself and all it cost me was $47.77.

As for what I’m looking forward to: cars that drive themselves. I have a feeling there will be a lot less accidents that way…unless the car’s hard drive crashes while doing 80 on the thruway. :lol:

• Liz Kreger says:

Oh, got a total visual of a car’s hard drive crashing at the most inopportune moment. Ouch.

Same here, Marcia … I usually email my WIP to myself and I back up onto flash drives. However, my computer guru installed an automatic backup into my laptop that’s sorta like a drop box but better. (I’ll have to show it to Edie. She’s gonna drool.)

I had a hard drive crash a couple of years ago, and fortunately (or unfortunately) all I lost were photographs. Unfortunate because those hadn’t been backed up. Fortunate because I usually print out the important photos, so they were totally lost. I do all my writing on the laptop, so I didn’t lose anything there. Whew!

9. Karin Tabke says:

Must haves: lap top, cell phone. and chocolate. ^_^

Wrong order, Karin. Chocolate should have been first. :wink: