Literary and Movie Boyfriends

P&POn Facebook, Jennifer Estep had a link to April Lindner’s quiz, Who is Your Literary Boyfriend? I took it, and my literary boyfriend turned out to be Ron Weasley. I’ve liked Ron Weasley since the first Harry Potter book, but he’s not exactly the man of my dreams. I actually retook the test and answered one question differently, hoping the quiz would pick Mr. Darcy. (I picked a ‘tour of English castles’ the second time, instead of ‘a week in Rome.’ I wanted to do both, but the first time I chose Rome because I love Italian food.) Even after the switch, the quiz still matched me with Ron.

In reality, Ron and I are probably compatible (if he were much older). Like Ron, I’m a bit laid back, and neither of us are as perfect as Darcy and Jane. That doesn’t mean he’s replaced Mr. Darcy as my literary crush. Who doesn’t swoon over Mr. Darcy’s quiet integrity? But Ron would probably be more fun – when he’s not killing Death Eaters or fighting another of Voldemort’s creatures. Plus, he’s as loyal to his friends and family as is Mr. Darcy.

GWTWI can think of other crush-worthy literary heroes, too. Most of Georgette Heyer’s heroes have a good sense of humor and, if not always conventionally smart, they are wise in their own heart-tugging ways. In A Summer in Europe by Marilyn Brant, I loved Emerson’s intelligence and wit. And Luc (short for Lucifer) in Misty Evan’s Witches Anonymous series, has an earthy sensuality that’s hard to resist. I also love the integrity and heart and passion of John Parker in Michelle Diener’s Susanna Horenbout & John Parker series. Most of my fellow bloggers write about men with passion and focus, and that’s very sexy.

So far I haven’t based a character in my books on a literary figure, but I’ve modeled a few on actors. A friend of mine is a Johnny Depp fan, and she’s based a character in a book on him. I modeled Noah Long from Dragon Blues on the younger Spock, as played by Leonard Nimoy in the original Star Trek series. (His voice and inner Zen-ness did it for me.) In Miracle Pie, Gabe is based on Simon Baker’s portrayal of Patrick Jane in The Mentalist. Not just his blond waves and his dimples, but the way he looks at life as if it’s a game. In my current book, my hero is based on a younger Sam Elliott. Once again, his voice did it for me. As soon as he talks, you know this is a man you can count on.

I’m giving you a tough job here. Who would you pick as your literary or movie/TV character boyfriend?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Literary and Movie Boyfriends

I got Heathcliff…no surprise there. Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite gothic romances. I even have a quote from it in one of my books.

I think you meant Ron Weasley, not Beasley. I had to read that twice, and at first, thought, who the heck is Ron Beasley. I thought I’d missed a significant hero in all of my college literature courses! LOL. Ron is actually quite a cool one to be paired up with. He’s not standard hero material, but then neither is Harry.

Fun quiz! I’ve FB’d and Twittered it. Thanks Jen and Edie!!

• Edie Ramer says:

Misty, funny about my mistake. Heathcliff was never my favorite hero. Too moody for me, but I can see the appeal. You’re so right about Harry and Ron not being the standard heroes. Maybe that’s we identify with them. An interesting thought.

2. Amy R says:

I tried taking the quiz, but am blocked at work. I will have to take it later. As for a literary hero? Tough. It is usually the guy I am reading about at the time. However, if I had to pick one the first one that comes to my head is Conrad Flynn. He is the hero in Misty’s Super Agent book Operation Sheba. Loved him the first time I read about him. He is willing to give up his life (by faking his own death) to save his woman and find a mole in the CIA. The Great Conrad Flynn saves the world again. :-)

3. Edie,

Before I answer your question, I have to say this. Last night I saw a commercial using Sam Elliot. OMG, He’s aged beautifully rugged and hunky. Don’t remember the commercial. Sure remember him.

Guess that rather sums up my comments about literary heroes. May not remember the titles but remember the characters. :-( Must be my advanced age.

Literary: Rhett Butler because he showed growth of character, strength, and the ability to love. Mr. Darcy, well because…Ari Ben Canaan, the hero in Exodus, both movie and novel but loved the novel more.

TV: Rick Castle for how he handles his mother and daughter and his humor. Oh and his flaws. Jethro Gibbs, aka my always heartthrob, Mark Harmon because.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Kick The Old Year Out

• Edie Ramer says:

Casey, now I want to see that Sam Elliott commercial!

I do love Rhett, too. So…yummy. I didn’t read Exodus. It didn’t appeal to me. I watched the movie, but it wasn’t a favorite.

I love Rick Castle’s sense of humor, and I’m a big fan of Gibbs. I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s NCIS show.

4. Oh, Edie! Thank you for including Emerson as one of your crush-worthy heroes!! (He wouldn’t admit it aloud, but he can’t stop grinning from the compliment. :razz: ) I’d loved Misty’s Luc and Michelle’s John P. as well, and I can’t wait to finally read MIRACLE PIE!! I’m a big fan of “The Mentalist,” so your Gabe is already so intriguing to me…

I’m going to have to take this quiz, although, for me, I think you know I’ve always been a Darcy admirer, LOL. There’s just something about him. Swoon!!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …New Release: Pride, Prejudice and the Perfect Match!

That’s too funny – I just took the quiz and got Ron Weasley. Lol. So not what I had in mind.

I love accents! Sean Connery has always been a favorite. Jean Reno for the same reason. lol.

Dale
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Deadly Designs is Free – today and tomorrow (9th & 10th)

• Edie Ramer says:

Ron Weasley would be perfect for you. He’s so easygoing. And what an awesome family you’d marry into. Maybe one of them could magically format your books. lol

6. Kimh says:

Romeo
    Mathew, downtim abby

7. Lori says:

omg! how fun! Mine, via the test, is Edward. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’d have to say if I was picking for myself it would be Darcy.

8. Amy R says:

So, I took the test and Mr. Darcy came up as my literary boyfriend. Don’t tell Marilyn, but I have never actually read Pride and Prejudice or watched any of the films about it, so I know nothing about him other than women swoon over him. I pegged myself as more of an Edward girl. Perhaps I should broaden my reading and read P&P.

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, you must read P&P! As for the movies, I haven’t watched the version with Colin Firth, but that’s the one everyone drools over. I did see the one with Keira Knightly, and I liked it.

I think you’ll love P&P. I’ve read all Jane Austen’s books, and that’s my favorite.

• *Snort!*
      “Don’t tell Marilyn…” :)
      I’m envious that you got Mr. Darcy, Amy! And I can’t wait to hear what you think of P&P, whenever you get around to either reading or watching it!!
      Edie, I did the quiz and got Heathcliff!! I guess I need to spend more time on the English moors now…LOL.

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, Heathcliff is just wrong for you! I can’t see you with a brooding guy. Colin Firth…er Mr. Darcy…that is definitely your perfect match.

Coming in late on this one, Edie. Sorry, ’bout that, but we had attorneys in from London and it was a busy, busy, busy day. Ick.

Anyway, voices do it for me every time. Give me Sean Connery (even though I know in real life he’s not an admirable individual), Gregory Peck … hell, even the British attorneys we have in … wonderful voices. They can read the dictionary to me anytime.

As far as literacy heros … I’m with whoever I’m presently reading. Right now I’m lovin’ my demon, Simon in my WIP.

As far as actors? Patrick Swayze got me every time.