Leap of Faith by Misty Evans

Leap of faithIn the past two years, I’ve taken several leaps of faith with my career and with my personal life. Unfortunately, I ended up like a certain cartoon character, pinwheeling my legs in midair and crashing to the ground in a heap of dust.

Just call me Pancake.

Cartoon physics aside, every risk I took turned into a nightmare, leaving me gun shy of dreaming big dreams or taking even small leaps of faith. Disheartened, I stayed at the bottom of the mountains. I stopped trying to fly.

The characters in my stories often face similar situations. They struggle to take leaps of faith because they can’t even begin to climb the mountain they dream about, much less make it to the top and jump off. In the course of the story, they learn how to let go of past disappointments and make decisions based on love (and the possibility for a happily ever after) rather than fear. They learn to trust in themselves and go for their dreams.

All these years of putting facts into my fiction, I’m now doing the opposite and living by the HEA credo. In the past month or so, I’ve embraced picking mountains I want to climb, not have to climb. Mountains that excite me. I’ve learned to stop taking leaps of faith because I’m scared not to, but stepping off the cliff because it’s something I want to do so badly I’m like Wile E. chasing Road Runner. I’m hungry for it and I’ll use my super genius powers and ACME gadgets to get it.

Leaps of faith can lead to leaps of joy. I queried four publishing houses recently, figuring I didn’t have a chance in Hades of selling anything to them, but to my surprise, two responded. I sold the fourth Super Agent book, The Blood Code, to Entangled Publishing after a two-year climb up a steep mountain. Honestly, I wasn’t sure that book would ever be published, but it will be. Finally. Because I took a leap of faith.

I also received word last week from a major editor at Random House that she’s looking at a short story of mine for their Loveswept line. It’s only a request for the full manuscript, but what a jolt of motivation. I’ve wanted to work with her for years and I may finally have the chance. Beep, beep!

It’s important to dream, to take risks, to climb the mountains and then jump off those mountain tops…and maybe it’s just as important to land in a flattened pancake at the bottom. Failure is not final unless we allow it to be – a lesson I’ve learned from my characters. As opposed to cartoon physics, this is HEA physics. True living means picking ourselves up, dusting off our hearts and egos, and searching for that next mountain, that next leap of faith, the next promise of love. A payoff is bound to happen.

Staying motivated and inspired is not for the faint-hearted. I like Isaiah Hankel and his blog Generating Enjoyment and Influence. It’s like boot camp for your mind. Watch his Like A Lion video. I dare you not to feel inspired.

Odds are I’ll be a pancake more times than not this year, but that’s okay. I’ll be taking those flying leaps of faith with more style this time around. Maybe a graceful swan dive instead of the Wile E. Coyote air dance. And I’ll use my real life experiences to make my fictional characters more believable and their HEAs more rewarding.

Do you have a mountain you’d love to climb this year? A leap of faith you want to take? How will you tackle it?

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Misty's Posts, Sold and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Leap of Faith by Misty Evans

1. Amy R says:

Quite a post, Misty. I don’t get to see how you handle things face to face, but from what I have seen of you online, you handle ups and downs of life with grace. I hope that means you have a good support system of friends and family for those downs. I am excited about your good news! I know 2013 hasn’t started off great personally, but hope it only continues to get better for you. To answer your questions, I don’t really have any huge mountains or leaps of faith I want to climb right now. I want to climb a lot of little mountains. My kids are getting older so we are in the phase of changing the way things run at our house and trying to make them more independent. I am one of those mom’s that does way too much for her kids and forcing them to do some things on their own is going to take time. So, I guess the overall goal is big but the process is little by little and day by day.

• Misty Evans says:

Thank you, Amy. I try to appreciate all the good things in my life and be kind no matter how bad my day is.

Little mountains are still mountains and I know you can climb them with aplomb. Always good to get the kids helping around the house. Good luck!

Misty, I’m happy that you’re excited again, and that you regained your excitement.

My leap of faith is switching genres. With every book I write, I’m more convinced that I did the right thing for me. I love what I’m writing. It’s been almost a year since I conceived this idea, and I am starting to see a difference now. I feel like this is just the beginning!

Edie, you did the right thing switching genres, although I love all your stories, no matter the genre. Your voice really sings with the women’s fiction books, so I believe you’ll see sweet returns on this leap of faith!

4. Chiron O'Keefe says:

Love it, Misty. Such an important distinction!! I’ve also grappled with self-doubt and realized the vital distinction between climbing a mountain I think I should , and climbing the one that excites me so much nothing can keep me away.

You’re so right–and sometimes falling is necessary to strengthen us and teach us. Much to think about here. Congrats on successfully meeting so many challenges, AND most importantly, for getting back up to write, again and again and again. So proud!! Can’t wait to buy Blood Code (you know how much I just love the Super Agent series!!). You are so awesome. A true heroine!

• Misty Evans says:

Chiron – you’ve been one of my greatest teachers on this journey. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and love with me. I’m sending you a virtual bear hug today!

Don’t know ’bout taking a flying leap off of a mountain … but foothills seem to be more my style. I try to take one day at a time and accomplish what I can. I’m at a point in my life where I cannot make future plans and am more than content with concentrating with the raising of my daughter, my relationship with hubby, handling a new puppy, the ups and downs of working full time and trying to get another novel under my belt.

See? Little foothills. :lol:

Best of luck with your leaps, Misty. Sounds like 2013 is going to be a stellar year for you.

• Misty Evans says:

Liz, your foothills are amazing, just like you. I love your attitude about taking life one day at a time. I’ve tried time and time again to slow down and appreciate what I have – live in the moment. If I could conquer that, I’d be a happy camper.

Hi Misty,
    That’s awesome news for you! What a lovely way to start 2013! I’m so happy a contract came through and how exciting about Random House!

Take leaps of faith is something I am VERY familiar with. And falling. sigh. I tend to reach for the top of every mountain, whether it’s really doable or not. I’ve reached a few of them…and fell more times than I care to admit.

But I’m still game for trying. I am trying right now…and so far, like Wile E. Coyote, I’m still failing! But I haven’t given up. And with any luck – I won’t have to.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Deadly Designs is Free – today and tomorrow (9th & 10th)

• Misty Evans says:

Seeing that our leap of faith paid off, even if we ended up a pancake, is hard to do at the time. I look at all you’ve accomplished, Dale, and think you’ve done an amazing job of landing on your feet after those leaps. Keep up the good work, woman!

7. Misty,
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, I am SO THRILLED that you sold your 4th Super Agent book! (*dancing around the office for you!*) Just tell us when we can pre-order!! And I’ve got my fingers crossed for you on the story with Random House. I hope they’ll snatch it up, but just knowing that this editor is interested in your writing is an exciting and truly wonderful thing.
    And I love your thoughts about taking leaps of faith for those things you love and feel passionately about. I’ve done my share of leaping and falling splat, too… ;) Every once in a while, though, I stick the landing, LOL. Here’s hoping that will happen once or twice this year!

• Misty Evans says:

Marilyn, it always warms my heart to know you’re in my corner cheering me on. You’re an amazingly talented woman and I’m hoping we can do lunch one of these days so I can give you a big hug in person. It’s always nice to know that even if we do go splat, our friends are there to help us up, dust us off and send us up the next mountain!

8. It’s good to know I’m not the only one who’s pancaked out this past year. But I have high hopes for 2013 simply because I want to. It’s my prerogative to be positive, doggone it! :lol:

As for mountains I’ll be climbing, I’m switching genres and trying to figure out if I want to self-publish my new trilogy (under a new pen name) or pitch it to a publisher. Both have their pros and cons that don’t make the decision any easier. Hopefully, I’ll have something figured out because I’ve already completed a third of book number three.

Oh and before I forget, CONGRATS on the contract with Entangled! That’s awesome news. :D

• Misty Evans says:

“It’s my perogative.” Now that’s a motto I’m going to embrace. No matter what happens, I can chose to be inspired and motivated. I’ve got that Bobby Brown song on my iPod, My Perogative. Think I’ll listen to it and do a little dance in your honor, Marcia!

Good luck with the new genre (how fun!) and with the decisions about self pubbing vs traditional. It’s a brave new world for us out there. Let’s make 2013 a year of taking chances.

9. Misty, huge, huge congratulations on your contract and the positive noises by an editor you want to work with. I know exactly how you feel. I so often go into a situation thinking no WAY will this come to anything, and then when it does, it feels sort of unreal.

I hope 2013 is a great year of successful leaps for you!

• Misty Evans says:

Michelle, I’m finding those No Way moments are very surreal…and so fun when they happen. I’m going to keep throwing darts at the biggest No Way goals I can come up with and see what happens.

I’ve so enjoyed your travel blogs and want to thank you for sharing your rich experiences with us. I feel like I’ve now been in all those places and that’s a thrill for me.

10. JB Lynn says:

Loved this post, Misty!

I’m taking my own running leaps off of mountains this year. (I just hope I won’t face-plant in the self-publishing pool.)

So happy that things are looking up for you!

Thank you, JB! You know I’m here cheering you on, whatever leaps you take. You’re going to do fine in the self pubbing world if you decide to take that leap. You’ve got experience and a tribe of friends who can help you through the rough spots.

I know you’ve had a lot on your plate lately and I just want to say, I’m so proud of you for keeping on keeping on. You’re an amazing lady and a fabulous writer!

12. Donnell says:

Love this, Misty! Carpet bomb your life! And you couldn\’t be a pancake if you tried. Your writing is simply amazing! :o
    Donnell`s last blog was …Library & Bookclub Questions