Guest Blogger – Elle J. Rossi

BrokenFlight-ElleRossiI’m so pleased to have Elle J. Rossi join us as a guest here at Magical Musings.  The author of the “Brennan Coven” and a new series “Angel of Punishment” Elle’s stories will sweep you away to magical worlds.

So — take us away, Elle …

JUNKIES UN-ANONYMOUS

I’ve heard it said a million times… The first step in helping yourself is to admit you have a problem. Well, I have a confession to make. My name is Elle J Rossi and I’m a paranormal romance junkie. There. I said it. Now comes the lowering of the head, the shallow breathing, the red face…the shame.

Yeah.

Not happening.

Not only am I an addict, I’m proud of it. Picture me holding my head high with a wicked gleam in my eye. I’m red-faced, but only from the excitement of preparing myself to turn to the next page. I’ve donned my gothic garb and my lips are painted blood red. I’m leaving this world and headed for another.

Chasing Fate-Life is hard. I don’t know about you, but many days the day job sucks everything right out of me and turns me into a mindless zombie who grumbles and groans a lot. But then I open my garage door and I remember that another world—a world far more interesting than my own—is waiting just inside my house. I need only to open a book to be swept off my feet by a sexy vampire, or run for my life through a damp and dark forest as a pack of shifters stalks and taunts. Either scenario gets my blood pumping, and when it’s pumping, I feel alive.

Romance, in general, is basically Disney for adults. I’ll take a happily-ever-after or at least a happily-for-now tale any day over the angst and heartache many of us endure. But, for me, throwing in a paranormal element—any paranormal element—is like adding that special ingredient to an already fantastic stew. That something extra that makes people talk and wonder. Be it magic, or magical beings, witches or wizards, angels or demons, vampires or shifters, zombies or ghosts…I’m hooked. I’m sold. I’m lost. Lost in a world so very different than the one we must live in. Lost in a world where creatures and beings I secretly hope exist reside. Lost in a fantasy world full of love, betrayal, hope, grief, desire, intrigue, life and death.

The LuminaryThis is not to say that I don’t enjoy reality. Some of the best stories come about by watching day-to-day activities. Turning something as mundane as doing the laundry into an exotic tryst or dangerous adventure. I can’t be the only one who does this. My mind is warped, this I know. But I don’t believe it’s only writers who see the fantastical in everything and everyone. I believe it’s anyone with an imagination, or at least those willing to imagine.

Being an author allows me to share my paranormal thoughts and desires with other junkies, confessed or not. Though, if you are still hiding from the world, may I suggest you introduce yourself and make that proclamation today? No need to worry. You’re surrounded by like-minded people who desperately want to talk books and characters with fellow junkies.

Feel free to stalk me on FB and Twitter. I love meeting new friends!

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Guest Posts, Liz's Posts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Guest Blogger – Elle J. Rossi

1. Mia Celeste says:

Elle,
    Sigh. I share your addiction. I write it. I read it. I dream it and I’ve no desire to reform. :)
    I can’t wait to pick up Broken Flight.
    Mia Celeste`s last blog was …Contests: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Elle, so happy you could join us. Liz emailed me last night and said your post is really good. She was not lying. I smiled all the way through reading your blog. Yes, I share the addiction. Even if there’s not a paranormal element in the book, it’s still taking me to a world away from laundry, the meals and the dustballs. The only dustballs I see in my fictional world are in Jayne Ann Krentz’s books, and I want more of them!

Thanks for such a great blog!

3. Berinn Rae says:

Great post, Elle! And, cheers to a pleasurable addiction! I remember reading my first paranormal romance (Sherrilyn Kenyon) and my entire life changed. Until then, I only read at airports and hotels. After my first PR, I read and read and read some more. I love the escapism, complex new worlds, and incredible storytelling I’ve found in PR.

4. Mary Hughes says:

You said it!! There’s nothing like paranormal romance to re-energize. “I’ll take a happily-ever-after or at least a happily-for-now tale any day over the angst and heartache many of us endure.” I so agree. And paranormal isn’t just an HEA or HFN but it’s one that’s magical.

Congrats on your new series!!

• Elle J Rossi says:

Hi, Mary! And thank you so much! I’m very excited about this new world. I truly think that without the belief in magick, life would be very, very sad.

Welcome to MM, Elle. Sounds like you’ve got a bad – or good! – case of PNR junkie. Many of us here do, too. I’m currently reading Jeanine Frost’s Grave series and laughing as much as flipping the page to see what happens next. Love it when a good book or series can take me away from the everyday world!

Good luck on your addiction and here’s to many sales!

• Elle J Rossi says:

Thank you, Misty! It’s great to be here. Ah, the element of laughter. I simply can’t get enough of that…especially when an author knows how to layer it in! Jeanine Frost is a great example.

6. Elle,

Great post and I love your enthusiasm and need to escape from the laundry and everyday woes. Can’t say I can do it quite the same way you do, but I love your covers, your persona, and your work. But my escape comes in my writing which has no elements of paranormal.

Guess I’m out of the circle then and thus will slink away, head down, and trying to hide…
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Kick The Old Year Out

• Elle J Rossi says:

Hi, MJ! Big hugs and thank you!! Don’t you dare slink away! You are one of the most magical people I know. Hold your head high, sister! Magic comes in all forms!

7. Amy R says:

Nice to meet you, Elle! I will admit that I used to wonder why people read parnormal romance. I mean, it isn’t even real? I thought I was reading the good stuff – contemporary romance and romantic suspense. One day I decided to try Misty’s paranormal/fantasy books and was hooked after that. I love getting swept away in a story with paranormal elements. There is just something magical about it all fun to be sucked into a world of make believe. Give me a shifter, fallen angel or rock demon any day! Now I need to go check out your books.

• Elle J Rossi says:

Nice to meet you too, Amy! Like you, I am a skeptic turned Junkie! It only takes one book to turn you to the “dark” side. How cool to hear that Misty did that for you.

8. Elle,
    Welcome to Magical Musings!
    What a great post ;). I loved this line especially: “Romance, in general, is basically Disney for adults.”
    Yes, indeedy!! I love all forms of romance (including paranormal) and women’s fiction, so you’re among friends here who definitely share your addiction!

• Elle J Rossi says:

Thank you,Marilyn! I am thrilled to be here. I thought up Disney for adults when someone turned their nose up when I told them I write romance. Whho doesn’t like Disney? When explained that way, people seem to “get it”!

Welcome to MM, Elle. Also welcome to the PA meeting (Paranormal Addicts :) )

I really love those covers. Awesome! And who needs reality, I’ll take escape any day!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …So…

• Elle J Rossi says:

The PA meeting! I love that, Dale! And thank you so much for having me. This is a very cozy place to hang out. So glad you like the covers. It sure is fun creating them!

10. Beth Ciotta says:

Fantastic post, Elle! Love your enthusiasm and your magical mindset and tales.

Hey, Elle. Thanx for joining us here at MM. Your blog is totally up my alley. I love paranormals and UFs … particularly UFs. Was hooked by the first Dara Joy book I read and haven’t looked back since. Blasted through Christine Feehan, Sherilynn’s books, am now groovin’ on Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews and Christina Henry. All wonderful authors.

By the same token, I’ve been disappointed by a lot of authors that I thought would be fantastic. Nature of the beast, I guess.

• Elle J Rossi says:

Hi, Liz. Thank you for sharing your home with me. This is a fun place to be! You’ve named some fabulous authors, and a couple I’m not familiar with. I’ll be adding them to my TBR pile!

12. Viv says:

Awesome post. Like you, I am addicted to Paranormal Romance. Actually, all things Paranormal! Can’t wait to read more of your bewitching tales.

• Elle J Rossi says:

Hi, Viv! Thank you for your confession! We are a very large group and I think we’ve almost got enough Junkies to conquer the world. *cue music* Now, it’s time to recruit!

13. Cynthia Valero says:

What a fantastic post, Elle! You make me want to log off and get right back to reading! The first paranormal romance that blew my mind was in high school: Jude Devereaux’s A Knight in Shingin Armor. I love how far paranormal has come, with all of its twists and beasties and heart-stopping magic. I know I’m looking forward to all of the books you have coming … not to mention The Luminary, which is on it’s way to me!

14. Elle J Rossi says:

Hi, Cyndi! So glad you stopped by! I’m trying to remember the first paranormal romance I read and I’m just not sure. Heather Graham is one of the firsts. I love her ghost tales! I sure hope you enjoy The Luminary!