Our pets – helpers or saboteurs?

I’ve had my fair share of animals over the years, some pets, some livestock and some that were just part of the family – dare you tell them otherwise.

Now the livestock, although more work, know their place. The pets that are accustomed to their three meals a day and live inside and out, tend to waffle on that same issue, but are generally agreeable as long as all their needs are met.

Then there are the ones that are part of the family. Sigh. Currently I have four human kids and three feline kids. And true enough, the human kids ARE the most work. But the feline kids, well they so have their moments.

See, I have a Golden Persian, named Phoenix. Now like her namesake, she always rises MP900262903from the ashes. Ashes of her own creations. She has this thing about sitting on every piece of paper – whether that be on the floor, my desk, the fireplace mantle or even the dining room table. She’s happy to plant her butt anywhere.

And then she has this other very irritating habit. She attacks every pen and pencil in the house. Let me clarify – she attacks anything that closely resembles a pencil or pen. And yes, that can also mean scissors, cutlery, coins, erasers, paper clips….okay so her vision isn’t so good and her need is great so she will, in desperate times expand that to include anything that is on my desk…for the sheer pleasure of watching the item fly off, then she runs around in this circle…accidentally of course, hitting every remaining item on the said surface.

You’d think that I’d have learned to keep my desk spotless and empty by now. But remember that part about me having 4 human kids? Yeah, they are the worst offenders at filling my desk!

MP900314400Now Phoenix has a sister who is a Silver Persian. Her name is Lady Fancy. Another flat faced, long haired beauty who ‘owns’ my place and is kind enough to allow me to be of service to her. She’s the opposite. She rules over my bedroom, can rarely be seen giving royal visits to my office, and would never sit on my desk – like where are the royal cushions for her? She is accustomed to a certain…lifestyle after all. :)

But she doesn’t give any quarter in my bedroom. She constantly hollers when it’s bedtime and therefore time for her cuddles and has this incredibly unnerving habit of waking me up by sticking her flat face against mine and then giving a meow worthy of the Royal pain in the Arse she can be. Still we all have bosses and she’s mine. And if Lady Fancy is royalty, Phoenix is the court jester – obviously. I sure hope her skills improve soon!

Then there is the beleaguered male feline. He is overruled, overwhelmed and according to the girls – so not necessary. He’s the lowly serf in the house and is very much aware of it. He races out of everyone’s way, skids down the hallways, slides around corners to clear the path, and is always pathetically grateful to get cuddles. After all, he’s so abused and in need. His name is Spooky, as he spooks at the slightest movement. However, when we are sitting down in the evening, he should be called Dead Weight…cuz that’s what he becomes on our laps! :)

Cat on deskI used to have dogs (Collies and Great Danes) but no longer have the space :( and cats…well, I used to think of them as great helpers, in that they make me smile…happy inside. But now I think they are better saboteurs - they constant destroy my good intentions…by distracting me! :)

So do you have pets? Feline, Canine or other? And are they your best friend? Or your worst enemy? Lol.

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Our pets – helpers or saboteurs?

Dale, I loved reading about your pets! It’s a very fun post. You should put your cats in a book. I can testify that cats are easier to write about than dogs because you can leave them alone for hours and not have to worry too much about them.

I have a cat and dog, and in my new series, there is a cat and/or dog in every story so far. I’m enjoying that.

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Edie,

Glad you like my post! I should have started a Mosey 2 book when I wrote this. Writing lighthearted is good for my soul! Of course, so are my pets :)

I have yet to add a cat to my books. I wonder why? I’ll have to see about changing that!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …So…

2. Amy R says:

I have a 3-year-old golden lab named Lacy. I know that pets do better with a furry friend, but we just can’t handle more. We rescued Lacy as a puppy and went through all the training with her, so she is a very good dog. Great demeanor. She and my son are definintely the best of friends. The only time she is a pain is when it is our fault. Meaning we didn’t take the time exercise her and therefore at 8:00 pm at night when we are all ready to wind down she is ready to get rid of energy and gets into trouble for attention. It is particularly hard in the winter when we can’t be outside with her more often. Fetch isn’t the same in the house as outside, but we try. We love her and she is a happy dog.

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Amy,

Labs make wonderful family pets! And they do have energy. My old Great Dane needed to run every day. Thankfully we had acreage, trial bikes and horses to keep us all active. I have a beautiful location here and could easily have a dog, but like you, I’m feeling like I can’t handle more – maybe in a year or two :)
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Sale!

3. Kathy Holmes says:

Oh what a fun post! My cats are my kids and I did write a children’s picture book about one of them but it’s still sitting on my computer. :shock:
    Kathy Holmes`s last blog was …Confessions of an Indie Author

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Kathy,

Thanks! I like being lighthearted some times. I write so dark and twisted most of the time. Now a children’s book sounds like fun. It’s one book I have yet to write. :)

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend.
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Sale!

This is a fun post, Dale. Your cats are beauties. I’ve had Jezebel (a calico) for around ten years. She’s my baby and I’ve actually created a character using her for one of my books. Always ready for me to give her cuddles and love.

We recently got a pup … a maltese/bichon mix. Peanut is definitely that … a peanut. He’s so tiny that we trip on him constantly and the training is a challenge but he’s doing pretty good. I’m not a dog person, but he can prove to be very distracting (in a very cute sorta way). He’s definitely my daughter’s dog.

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Liz,

I love the name Peanut! I wouldn’t mind a small tog, particularly if it’s the same size as my cats. Any smaller and they’d eat it!

I do miss my canine friends, but the cats are quite enough some times. I should create characters based on my pets – it’s no doubt they are characters in themselves. :)
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Sale!

5. Cynthia Eden says:

I have a canine helper–a sweet little guy named Yogi that I adopted years ago. He likes to wait until I am in the middle of writing scary, intense scenes, then he will start barking like crazy. I’m pretty sure he does that just to make me jump. ;)
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …GUARDIAN RANGER–Coming soon!!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Cynthia,

Lol on the dog picking his moments! After so long without one of my own, I find I jump when I’m at a friend’s or even out for a walk.

Don’t think I’d like one that could scare me in my own home!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Sale!

6. Dale,
    Your cats are gorgeous but seeing Spooky lounging across your workspace made me laugh aloud!! I love it! So, so cute. :)
    I’m allergic to cats, unfortunately, because I love them, so we don’t have any of those. We had 2 very adorable guinea pigs for a while, though! Still miss them…

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Marilyn,

I’d be devastated if I ended up with an allergy. Between dogs, cats, goats, horses and list goes on…I’ve had pets since 8 years old. There was one year break in there, but that’s about all!

Now, I’ve never had guinea pigs though!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Sale!