Taking Chances

SomethingsI’m doing something scary. I’m writing a love story about an older couple. This will be my fifth Miracle Interrupted book, which is set in the tiny village of Miracle, Wisconsin. The main characters of my work-in-progress were minor characters in the previous books. As I was finishing my last book, a reader emailed me with questions about them, and I told her theirs would be the next story. But as I’m writing this, a thought dawned on me: What was I thinking?

My main characters are sexy and attractive, but I still wonder how many people will pick up the book, see their age and stop reading.

I’m still writing it. I could have told their story as secondary characters, but to do justice to the two characters (whom I love), they need to be the hero and heroine.

mrsmiracle_reThere are some authors who do write books with older women as main characters. Debbie Macomber has had older characters in her books. Jeanne Ray does very well with her love stories about older characters.

Other writers have main characters who are not the usual young man and woman. And, no, I’m not talking about vamps, weres, angels or zombies.

Suzanne Brockmann wrote a love story about two gay men in ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT. Misty Evans has Satan as a love interest in her Witches Anonymous stories.

Michelle Diener is going to self-publish a historical that takes place during a war in South African, titled DAUGHTER OF THE SKY. There is romance and the ages are right…but South Africa isn’t the usual location. (I read it, and it’s amazing!)

Can you think of anyone else who writes books that are way out of the normal romance box?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Taking Chances

1. Amy R says:

Hi Edie – I am beginning to love books in which the characters are a little older (and sometimes not traditional). Maybe it is because I am getting older, though. The book that comes to my mind when reading this post is Absolution by Kaylea Cross (found here: http://kayleacross.com/v2/books/absolution/) . The hero and heroine were secondary characters in her past Romantic Suspense books and the last book of the series was their story. I really liked it. Not only were they in their 50’s but they have been divorced for over a decade. If the book you are writing about includes the hero and heroine I am thinking about, it will be great.

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, yes, it is the characters you’re thinking aobut. It’s a relief that you think it will work.

I’ll have to check out Kaylea’s book. I was planning to tell my characters’ story much later – when readers were clamoring for it, lol – but it just seemed like the right time now. Hopefully they’ll enjoy it.

2. Edie,
    Sometimes I find more of the untraditional romances appearing in women’s fiction stories. Elizabeth Berg has a few main characters in her books that are older women (I really loved Pull of the Moon) and Anne Tyler has written about women rediscovering themselves and finding love in middle age (Ladder of Years comes to mind).
    I’m excited about your new story!! Personally, I really like reading about older characters, and I know yours will be wonderful :).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Pride & Prejudice is 200 Today!!!

3. Angi Morgan says:

Hi Edie, I have to admit that I’m not attracted to the “outside the normal,” but older characters don’t bother me. I think everyone deserves a chance at true happiness (no matter what their normal). My normal happens to be…normal. ;-)
    ~Angi

• Edie Ramer says:

Angi, what amazes me are that MM erotica is doing so well…and most of the genres readers are women. Every time I read that it makes me wonder if the women are trying to pick up how-to advice, because I don’t get it. But each to their own. :)

Hi Edie,

Like Angie I think everyone deserves happiness. I’m not the age of most heroines and would like to think love is still there for me too!

I do like out of the box. I never did have ‘normal’ as a standard in my world. And when it comes to fiction as long as the author has me captivated – I don’t care how old the characters are!

• Edie Ramer says:

Dale, a woman in my writing group said she was writing a romance with a heroine who was in her forties. She said she was in her forties and wanted to read a romance with an older heroine. I hope more people think like her and you.

5. Edie,

My Dessert Dames series has a group of friends in their 50s. The first one, Better Than Dessert is a great romance/love story. Of course, I’m prejudiced. I’ve read several books that have older heroines/heroes and find I enjoy them much more really young characters. Also Sharla Lovelace wrote Just One Day which I read recently and loved it. Again older characters, second chances, but well written and a lovely read.

But again, I’m old.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Arctic Chill, Wind & Waiting

I like just about any kind of character if well written. I read across all genres – althought I don’t read much historical any more – and I’ve read so many books, it’s nice to find a main character who’s unusal (but not too weird!)

Your books are always a good read, Edie, so for me, I won’t mind the older hero and heroine.

I certainly have no problem with reading books with older hero/heroine, as long as it has a satisfying HEA. That was something I enjoyed so much about that movie you showed above, “Something’s Gotta Give”.

However, even though I’m 51, I still find that the books I’m reading have heroines in their 20s and 30s. Probably because it might be a little tough for an older woman in an urban fantasy to kick ass without breaking a hip. :shock:

8. Liz says:

How about the Gloria Lamerino Mysteries by Camille Minichino.

9. I write YA which doesn’t count, but honestly with my romances I’m getting a bit tired of reading about these super young girls. I’ve noticed myself that I keep making my characters in my romances older and older as I get older. So I’m thrilled for you and I’m eager to read the book!

10. Edie, thanks for mentioning Daughter of the Sky. Yep, no matter how much everyone who read Daughter of the Sky loved it, they all said they didn’t know if a book set during the Anglo-Zulu War would sell. I’m about to find out for myself :)

And I think older couples can definitely work, and if anyone can make it work, you can. One secondary plot which I think overshadowed the main plot was a SEP novel about a very intelligent woman who gets herself pregnant by a football player on purpose, instead of having artificial insemination, but then ends up staying in his home town with him. I can’t remember the title, but the football player’s parents have split up, and their story was more compelling to me, and I still think about that plot thread.

Nora Roberts wrote a romance called Black Rose, I think, where the main protagonists were either in their late forties or early fifties, and that worked really well.

• Edie Ramer says:

Michelle, I think Daughter of the Sky will sell. I loved it when you wrote it a few years ago, and I loved it maybe even more this last time. You can bet I’ll tell people about it.

I remember the SEP book. I don’t remember the Black Rose book. I’ll have to check it out.