When You Wish Upon A Star

My mom raised me, my sister and brother pretty much on her own. We didn’t have much money; in fact we were rather poor. Although we didn’t have money, we had a large, close extended family that was so much fun, a lack of money didn’t really matter. It always seemphoto 2 Disneyed like we had enough. But there was one thing I missed out on. At the start of every school year when other kids would come back from summer eager to tell stories of vacations, I had none. No theme parks, no trips to the ocean, or even other states. Our idea of splurging was going to McDonalds. No joke.

As an adult it’s always been a dream of mine to take my family (about twelve people) on a vacation. Yeah, high hopes. I might as well have been asking for a trip to the moon. I’ve been a published author for over four years now, but it was only in this past year that I actually made a living out of writing. For the first time in over ten years, I made a real salary and it was mostly because of my self-published books.

I have no idea how long the success will last, but I plan on enjoying it while I can.photo 1 Disney So this last year I decided to plan that family trip. At the beginning of this new year, not long after Christmas, I took eleven of my family members (including my mom, brother and his family) to Disney World. We stayed in their cheapest hotel, and drove instead of flying, but it was an amazing five day trip! It wasn’t just a dream come true for me. My son, who is an only child, loved having his five cousins around to share the experience. The picture on the right is of my son and his cousin walking through Magic Kingdom. It was a wonderful trip and I’ll always be grateful for not only self-publishing, but also for all of the readers who have enjoyed and promoted my books.

photo 3 DisneyWhat about you…is there a dream that you’re hoping will come true? Or something you always wished for and got? I’m picking one winner who will receive a signed copy of To Seduce an Earl in paperback, the book on CD, and no, that’s not a movie (I wish!) but a CD that can be converted in some way onto an IPod or MP3 player (and don’t ask how, I haven’t a clue!). Just leave a comment!

P.S. Four of my Self-Published books are only 99 cents right now! But only until Wednesday. The Demon Hunter, A Night of Secrets, The Mind Thieves, The Mind Games.

This entry was posted in Lori's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to When You Wish Upon A Star

1. Lori, I think it is truly spectacular that you’ve been able to make a living as a writer through self-publishing. This just makes me so excited about the future for authors, and I am so glad you enjoyed every single moment of that holiday!

2. Lori says:

Thanks Michelle! It’s amazing how much writing has changed, and for the better, in the last 2 years. It is def. exciting!

Lori, ditto what Michelle said. I’m so impressed by your success! You are an inspiration! And how wonderful that you used the money to do something for your entire family.

I have dreams for myself and my husband, but I have a family member who is having financial problems because of illness in his family. He does everything for his family, putting himself in debit, and I’d love to be able to help him out.

• Lori says:

That’s so nice of you Edie! I’ve done the same thing to a small extent. It’s great making money, but its better when you can share it!

Lori, that’s such a wonderful gift to your family. Now you’ve got me thinking about doing something cool like that. We haven’t had a vacation in three years, with the exception of going to White Sox games in Chicago (which is a big treat for us). Last year, I sent the boys to D.C. and there went the family vacation budget, but they made memories that will last a lifetime. This year, I’d actually like to take several short trips to visit family and friends. That may be doable.

Congrats on your success – I know it was through sheer determination and lots of hard work. I hope you’re blessed with another amazing year of writing!

5. Amy R says:

Hi Lori – your childhood sounds a lot like mine. McDonald’s was a treat! Our family vacations each year consisted of a drive from Illinois to Minnesota to spend a week with my Grandma and Grandpa. We didn’t do anything and they lived in a tiny town, but we had such great memories up there. My husband grew up without a lot of money so their trips were driving in their station wagon and tent camping. We were so excited when we got to take our kids to Disney World. We too, stayed in the cheapest resort but had such a good time and great memories. We also got to take my mom with us so that was a treat for all of us! Congrats on your success! You don’t need to put me in the drawing, but wanted to comment! :-)

6. Tiffany Jorgenson says:

Lori,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I love Disney too. Grew up in CA and went to Disneyland a few times a year. Now I live in South Dakota and can’t wait to get there with my kids someday.

7. Lori,
    Congratulations on all of your writing success! It’s inspiring to me, too, the choices authors now have and the multiple paths we have to find our audience. I’ve been loving writing and reading digital novels — I’ve found so many fabulous authors that way!! My dream involves taking a family vacation, too (I’d love for my son to see Italy, home of his great-grandparents…), and hope that I’ll be able to save up enough for that soon :).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Pride & Prejudice is 200 Today!!!

8. Lori, I really enjoyed reading this article. Thank you for sharing. I believe that meager beginnings help us appreciate what we accomplish as adults even more, it has for me. It’s so nice that you took your family on vacation! The picture of your son and his cousin is precious. I’m sure it was a blast and those memories will stay with you all for ever. Congrats on your success! If I happen to win this giveaway, I’m going to gift the book to one of my blog followers, since I already have the book.

9. Liz says:

Lori, your dream of a family vacation brings back memories of those when my parents were alive. Now, however, family is spread throughout the world, so not practical. Hope it works out for you someday.

10. Michele says:

Congratulations on your sucess Lori!!!! It’s stories like yours that give others hope that it is possible to achieve your dreams. That picture of your son with his cousin is so precious!! Those are the best kind of memories :smile:

11. Mariska says:

Congrats Lori !! at first i didn’t believe what you said, because you are an author..but hey, it just same as my children story..yeap, we are not a rich family (at this moment) but we’re not that poor too. ;-) last vacation that we had, was 3 years ago…

so in order to have a great time on our weekend, sometimes we go to the beach and sometimes we bring our two boys to McDonalds for breakfast.