Decorating the House

HeartsNow that the holidays are over … and I’ve finally (finally!) put away the last of the Christmas decorations, its time to get things back to normal.

But do you really?

The Christmas holidays and New Years are just the beginning (no pun intended).  As we move into February, there’s a whole slew of holidays approaching.  Yesterday we had Ground Hogs Day.  Valentine’s Day is right around the corner.  March will bring St. Patrick’s Day and Easter.  Earth Day and Arbor Day is in April … as well as Australia’s ANZAC Day.  Then there’s Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, Father’s Day, the 4th of July … cripes, every flippin month has got something going on.

Makes it difficult to get into a writing routine, if you ask me.  Working full time and trying to get into any type of schedule is tough.  Don’t know how half the authors I know manage to do it.  As I said, took me forever to get the Christmas decorations down, and now its time to put up Valentine’s stuff.  Wouldn’t normally bother … but when you have a child in the house, its sorta expected.  Just when we get that stuff down, its time to put up Easter decorations.  Never seems to end.  Yes, I do enjoy seeing the cheery hearts, and little bunnies.  It’s the actual putting up and taking down that I find to be a pain in the butt.

Sounds like I’m complaining (and yes, I suppose I am), and I really shouldn’t because nothing can really beat the total rearrangement of the house that Christmas decorating entails.  Everything after that should feel like a piece of cake.

So, how ‘bout you?  How long did it take to get your house back in order following the Christmas holidays?  This is the latest that ever I’ve taken to put everything back to normal … and I haven’t even finished that yet.  Some of the stuff that I put away to make room for decorating are still in boxes, waiting to be put back on shelves and tables.  Might even take me another week or so to manage that. :wink:

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Decorating the House

Don’t hate me but my husband put away all the Christmas decorations while I was upstairs typing. And I actually didn’t put all the stuff we had back. I decided I had too much stuff out and it looked better without it.

• Liz Kreger says:

Hate to say it, but I don’t trust hubby to put away the Christmas decorations. I KNOW exactly how he’d put them away … with half of ‘em ending up in the trash. :roll: And the other half stuffed into boxes all hodge-podge where I’d find a number of broken things next year. I’m kinda anal when it comes to packing up the treasures that I’ve collected over the years. Hell, I’d trust Erin to be more careful. :lol:

Hubby thinks we have too much, and he may be right. But when everything is up and looking festive he always admits that it looks great.

I enjoy decorating for Halloween and Christmas. Past that? Meh. I just put out a few Valentine’s Day decorations today, but I like a clean, uncluttered house, so what I’d really like to do is clean out everything and start over. That would be a major undertaking and I’m writing, teaching and coaching right now, so I decided to start small…I cleaned out my makeup drawer this morning and threw out some old stuff. A small sense of satisfaction and didn’t take more than a couple of minutes. Next I may tackle some clothes. You know, work my way up to that major overall (that will most likely never happen!)

• Liz Kreger says:

That’s the other thing, Misty. When I put up and take down stuff, I tend to clean as I go. So, its usually a primo time to get my house into some sense of order. Like you, I like an uncluttered house. With the new pup, that’s sorta impossible, but manageable.

3. Amy R says:

I am not a big decorator except at Christmas. I just don’t have a lot of decorations for the other holidays and don’t think about it. Normally it takes us a long time to take our Christmas stuff down, but this year, the weather in the Midwest has been kind at times so we took advantage of a warm day around the first of the year and took everything down outside and inside. It was nice to have the house back to normal. We have a 3 year old dog who still likes to get into things when no one is paying attention to her so we have to be careful with our decorations, too, so that is why I don’t put a lot out. Happy Feburary to everyone!
    Amy R`s last blog was …Review: Playing the Part by Darcy Daniel

• Liz Kreger says:

Having a miscevious pooch would certainly encourage me to get stuff down fast. Fortunately, the pup has shown little interest in the tree other than lying on the tree skirt.

4. Lori says:

I’m bad, I put off decorating so long its usually not worth it. But you’re right, when you have a child they expect it! Or maybe we just feel guilty if we don’t decorate and they could care less! lol.

• Liz Kreger says:

I know a couple of people who leave it to the last minute. Had a co-worker who didn’t get her stuff up until something like two days before Christmas. You’re right … almost not worth it. Still, if you have young kids in the house, its a must.

5. LOL, Liz!
    I never actually got around to removing the snowflake window clings that I’d put up in early December of 2011… Sometime around last August, my son asked when, exactly, I’d planned to take them down, and I told him, “Um, it’s so close to the holidays already. Maybe after Christmas.” :)
    If my husband didn’t put up and take down the Christmas tree, it would probably still be sitting in our living room. Thankfully, he’s always been the one in charge of that!

• Liz Kreger says:

Too funny, Marilyn. So, in other words, you have snowflakes up all year round for the last year or so? I feel so much better about it being nearly February when I got my tree down.

6. Cynthia Eden says:

I haven’t even come close to getting my house in order yet! Deadlines came knocking, and the house had to wait. I stepped outside yesterday and realized–I still had my Christmas welcome mat there. Doh!!
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …GUARDIAN RANGER–Available on Kindle and Nook (and an Intrigue Contest, too!)

• Liz Kreger says:

Seems like there’s always something you miss when taking down the decorations. I just realized I still had the refrigerator magnets with santa and a reindeer still on the fridge. :lol: Tempted to leave them up to see how long it takes hubby and daughter to notice ‘em.

7. Karin Tabke says:

Liz, I don’t enjoy decorating for the holidays. However, once the house is done, I love it! But when Christmas is over, I am over it! It’s all down and put away no later than New Year’s Day.

Now, if I can get the christmas card writing down…
    Karin Tabke`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

• Liz Kreger says:

Seems like everyone has a problem with those Christmas Cards, Karin. Personally, I enjoy sending them and getting ‘em.

I saw your flocked tree on FB. It was gorgeous and reminded me how my grandma used to always have a flocked tree. Then she had all pink and silver decorations … complete with candies that she made into ornaments and we could eat on Christmas Day. Brought back lots of fond memories.

Hi Liz,

Sorry I’m late with this, but somewhere along the line it became Wednesday when I wasn’t looking. Sigh.

I have always had every ounce of Christmas GONE by New Year’s eve. We also start the year fresh with a spotless house :) I love it! It’s probably the only time the whole year that it happens. lol.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Garden of Sorrow Barrage!

• Liz Kreger says:

That’s probably a good habit to get into, Dale. I like the idea of starting the new year fresh … but by the same token, I sorta like the sparkly lights and paraphenalia. Usually takes me so long to get everything just so that I don’t want to take it down too soon.