The Survivor Is!

Recently I had this conversation with my son-in-law who prior to the conversation was in such terrible pain from a toothache (an upper molar), he pulled his tooth out.  The after pain from his impromptu procedure was so severe he actually took a narcotic, which he never does.  A little later as we’re sitting down to eat dinner, he picked up a grilled cheese sandwich (not just any grilled cheese, this was grilled sourdough with gruyere and brie cheese) and I said, “David, are you sure you want to eat that sandwich and not have some soup instead?”

He rolled his eyes as if I just questioned his manhood and responded, “Ma, I just pulled my own tooth out. I got this.”

I nodded and said, “I pulled out my own tooth once too.”

He smirked. “I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at the same time.”

I shrugged and said, “So did I.” I took a sip of my water and continued, “With only Novocain.” I set the glass down and finished, “All four were impacted.”

He narrowed his eyes and said, “I’ve had a dozen shots all at once before I traveled to Asia.”

I snorted.  “I’ve had cortisone shot directly into my thumb joint three times with no Lidocaine.”

David mimicked my snort (the brat). “I went head first through a plate glass window and survived.”

“I had three cesareans and survived.”

“I was ejected 23 feet from the cab of my truck on the freeway and survived.”

I sat back, smiled and said, “I survived William.”

David nodded and raised his glass, “Ok, you win.”

As if there was ever any doubt!

FYI, William is my youngest child who was, to put it mildly, the most challenging of the four.

What have you survived?  Comment and I’ll randomly pick a survivor to win a $20 Amazon or BN gift certificate!

About Karin Tabke aka Karin Harlow

Award winning author Karin Tabke isn’t just another author with steamy stories to tell, but a cop’s wife who has “seen it all and heard it all.” Karin also writes paranormal romance as Karin Harlow with her L.O.S.T. series hailed as paranormal romantic suspense at its “chilling and sizzling” best.
This entry was posted in Karin's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Survivor Is!

1. LOL, I love that game. But that’s cuz I throw out my car accident trump card and most everyone else has to fold. My daughter and I play sometimes for kicks. She starts with a bruise, I point out a scar, she complains about her formerly broken ankle, I up the stakes with my broken thigh… in the end, she gets me with ‘but I have a paper cut’ and we both end up laughing. ;o)
    B.E. Sanderson`s last blog was …Survival Tip #7 – We’re All Afraid of Something

Breast cancer. Fun post!

LOL, Karin. That’s hilarious. I’m so glad you survived William! I occasionally use the “I survived twins” card, which included four stays in the hospital, gallbladder attacks while pregnant and a C-section.

Then I survived a torn tendon that ran from my back to my hip. Three+ years of pain, physical therapy, worthless procedures and disability. Still not a 100%, but I’m mostly pain-free and so grateful for my wonderful life, even with its physical limitations. I bow to those who’ve survived worse or who are still fighting.

Ha! I trump you all. Nearly seventeen years of surviving cancer … the last ten of which has been with almost constant chemo. I’ve been on so many different chemo cocktails that I’d have to look up my records to count ‘em all. Four or five (I lost count) times losing my hair … present hair loss included.

Other than that, I’m surviving a new puppy. Now there’s a challenge.

• Liz, you do win! and you amaze me. I hope you’re feeling up to RT. I really want to see you. xoxoxoxo

ps, I hope you survive the puppy! He’s adorable.
      Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

• Liz Kreger says:

The fact that pup is adorable is one of his saving graces. Can’t tell you how many times he’s been punted or stepped on. He’s always underfoot. We’ve learned to walk with our head down when he’s about. Will have to send an updated photo soon. He is a cutie.

5. Hysterical! :)

Let’s see…rolled my car; broken ankle; cyst removal from underarm w/no deadening; total knee replacement;

That’s probably it.

You win

Lol – love the conversation. So reminiscent of many past ones with my own sons. It’s my youngest son (3rd child) who is our William. lol.

What have I survived? Single parenting 4 for almost 14 years!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Garden of Sorrow Barrage!

7. LOL, Karin!
    Yeah, well, see…I have only *one* son for a reason ;). He’s a fantabulous boy and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone, but he’s “spirited,” and I know my limits when it comes to challenges!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Pride & Prejudice is 200 Today!!!

8. Barbara Elness says:

Oh man, I’d lose that contest every time. I haven’t survived any sort of accident or broken bones, stitches, etc. I’m amazingly accident and illness free, except minor cases of a few childhood illnesses that most people get. But I can say I survived a very bad marriage and came out the other side as an independent single mother with a wonderful son.

9. Paula R. says:

I am still surviving. I’m not very good at this game.

Peace and love,
    Paula R.

10. Kimh says:

Iam happy to be healthy,
    Death , we are living for them, thanks

11. Mariska says:

Bell’s palsy ! never thought and never crossed my mind that i would suffered this kind of thing..

12. Pamk says:

I survived my youngest child’s pregnancy. Had Gall stones, lost 13 lbs during my pregnancy, broke a bone in my foot, had an epidural that didn’t take so natural childbirth, no doc in delivery my nurse friend actually delivered him. Love him dearly but if he’d been my first he’d been an only child.

13. Got run over by a truck. But Liz wins. Hands down. :)
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …The Emperor’s Conspiracy on sale at a special price