Paper artists – like wow!

Hi everyone,

Like most of us, I spend too many hours on the Internet. May of those hours are legitimate research hours for my writing. The others…not so much. But every time I venture out into the vast unknown, I do find nuggets of sheer genius to bring back to bookmark. The ones I’m going to show you are art pieces and their creators. I’m an artist. Not just a writer, but also a painter – when I have time. And you’re right…who’s got time, any more!

But these artists have found a niche, a way to create that makes them happy (I hope) the same as my writing makes me happy. And as I see how far beyond the norm, it encourages me to let my art take me where I’ve never gone before.

As art comes in many forms, I’m only sharing today, paper artists. And wow, are these people gifted!

Hina Aoyama - paper cutting butterfly

Hina Aoyama – paper cutting butterfly

First up is Hina Oayama – she creates super fine lacy-paper-cuttings with a simple pair of scissors. She uses a mixture of the traditional and modern styles to produce her own world through her own special paper-cuttings technique.

Stunningly graceful!

Next is Bert Simmons and his paper sculptures.  Bert Simmons paper scultpure

He uses a 3D modelling program to help determine the shape and features.

Then gets started on a 3 day marathon of cutting and glueing.

Another stunning artist is Ingrid Siliakus. She considers herself a paper architect. This stunning cut out of hers is amazing.

Paper-Architecture-by-Ingrid-Siliakus-5

If you go to her website, you’ll see dozens if not hundreds of different examples of her work.  Truly inspiring.

Another truly talented artist, with a lot of character pieces is Sher Christopher. His motto? 52‘unique figurative sculptures made purely from paper…’

The detail that goes into his sculptures is amazing. You have to sit and study them to see the work that went into these.  They show such life!

Next is Paper artist Yuken Teruya, who does the impossible by turning a fast food bag into a stunning art piece. ‘The Forest Series, creating paper trees out of disposable waste products like toilet paper tubes and paper bags, is a poignant glimpse of the forest behind the paper – it’s a like a little bit of the lost trees’ spirit lives on in the consumer end product. Yes – even McDonald’s bags were once alive!’

Made from fast food bag

Made from fast food bag

I love the concept of taking garbage and creating beauty!

The next up is Johan Scherft and his papercraft. He paints and creates many wonderful projects.

kingfisherII

I find it so hard to believe that this kingfisher is made from paper!

And although this list could go on forever, I’d be remiss if I didn’t include at least one book carver! And there are many stunning artists in this speciality to choose from. For today, here is one of BRIAN DETTMER. It looks like 20 books made it’s way into this art piece!

brian-dettmer-textonomy-book-sculptures-01

Now that I’ve posted more things to waste time on, tell me – is there an art form you’d love to pick up?

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Dale's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Paper artists – like wow!

Love all of it, especially the dancers!

I’d actually love to be a better cook. There was some things I cook very well… But not enough. Yet it’s not my natural inclination to spend too much time in the kitchen. I’d rather be writing!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Edie,

Aren’t those dancers beautiful! They have such great expressions, their movements so full of life.

That’s great about cooking. That type of hobby is something you can always improve on. I understand about having several good stand by recipes that you love and could do well. I have many. Like you – not enough!

It’s the writing that’s keeping me from my paints. I just helped one son finish his painting for his brother. It’s quite stunning actually. I’m proud of him.
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Garden of Sorrow Barrage!

I’m in awe, Dale. Those are amazing. One of my sons is an origami nut, so I have tons of little paper sculptures all over the house. I love ‘em.

I’d love to paint and am envious of you! If I could pick up a talent…oh, gosh, there are so many I’d love to try, but I’d love, love, love to play the piano like this young man: http://youtu.be/LY3cwXNqZG8 . Again, I’m in awe!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Misty,

I love origami! That takes talent…and patience! I don’t have the patience any more. Used it all up on my kids. Lol.

I hear you on the piano learning. I am sorry my music didn’t continue. I played the organ as a child then switched to guitar and then lost that in my teen early adult years as my family (who played a family band – lol) stopped. The regrets we live with :(

Even Duffy is amazing!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Garden of Sorrow Barrage!

3. Oh, Dale, how COOL these are!!!
    I *love* that butterfly…I’m kind of in awe of it ;).
    During the holidays, I’ll sometimes cut out paper snowflakes, but my paper creations are nothing like THAT!!
    As for an art form, if I were better at it, I’d paint more…although, I suppose, to get better at it, I’d have to do it more often, LOL.
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Pride & Prejudice is 200 Today!!!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Marilyn!

Isn’t that butterfly special! I’d love to have art forms like that around where I work. How inspiring!

And you’re right to get better we have to continue through the ‘not so good yet but improving’ stage. Lol. I’m glad you paint. It’s a great hobby.

4. I love them all, Dale, but particularly impressed by the butterfly and the tree. Wow.

I’d love to learn to play the saxophone. I really should do it.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …The Emperor’s Conspiracy on sale at a special price

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Michelle,

Aren’t they beautiful. I think I read that the tree is still attached to the top of the bag – having been cut out all in one piece. The intricacy of these pieces are stunning.

The saxophone would be fun! My brother played trumpet for years. I loved hearing him. You should do it!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Garden of Sorrow Barrage!