Does your mother (daughter, sister) know what you read…or write?

How’s that for a question? :) As a reader, I’ve listened to my mother’s recommendations for reading material for a long time. Sometimes I even follow through :) But we have vastly different tastes. She loves inspiration, Christian, and sweet nice stories. She’s also a cookbookaholic! I used to be, but with the Internet now, not so much.

But I digress. Besides my mother, I have 2 sisters, one who reads, and a 15 yr daughter who is is a crazy reader.

When I started writing a decade ago, I showed no one. The manuscripts went into the bottom of drawers to never see the light of day. It’s only in the last the last couple of years that I have shown my books to my mother.

shockI’ve told you what she reads – now consider what I write. My Psychic Vision series is all about well the serial killers, hot sex, and the unexplainable world of psychic world of phenomena. See the problem here?

At the beginning, she was very nervous, but her pride in her daughter forced to through the first one – and I hooked her. (cue maniacal laughter)

fearSome of the books still scare her. :) Now, she reads everything- just glosses over the sex parts. lol. But of all my books, she loves It’s A Dog’s Life and can’t stand The Family Blood ties series. She hates vampires. :)

She’s been big on telling people about my writing but has requested that if I ever write erotica, to please write under a different name. I’m thinking about some erotica, not sure about it yet. My next RS release would be classed as a Sexy RS in that there is so much more…heat…tension…and satisfaction. :)

For years, my work wasn’t an issue. It’s not like teenage males read a lot of Romantic Suspense or YAs with female protags. But then my daughter grew up and became a fanatical reader. Of course I started writing YA books for her. Hence why there is no sex in those! But she quickly inhaled all I had to offer in that age group and unbeknownst to me, started in on my adult books. She loved Tuesday’s Child. I was surprised. Then I was horrified. Then I had to laugh.  She is my daughter after all! Now she’s also hooked on Julie Garwood, Jayne Ann Krentz, Mary Jo Putney (yeah, she’s raiding my keeper shelf!)

See, in my house, all subjects are wide open. Sex is a common topic, even at the dinner table. So it’s not that she didn’t know the ins and outs (lol) of the subject, but writing sex is…well…personal. And although having complete strangers read it was okay, it was a whole different story to have my kids – my daughter – read it.

My youngest son has already read half of my adult series and loved them – after he got over the nightmares. LOL. He just said the sex was tastefully done. Hmmmm… (I have to stop myself from asking, how does he know???)

psychicBesides, it’s his friend group that all have copies of the Psychic Visions in print format. And his friend group that have intense conversations over the paranormal possibilities that are raised in my books. That always makes for interesting conversation when they come over.

My sister reads all my adult books. And her daughter, my niece, has been quietly collecting print and Kindle copies of ALL my books.

My mother tells her about my latest new releases, quietly on the sly, because after all my niece is in her 30s and just might know what sex is all about! Guess I shouldn’t let her know my daughter is reading my books either, huh?

Tues Child 150x250 R2

So…do your mothers (daughters, sisters) know what you read…and write?

And by the way, Tuesday’s Child, book 1 of the Psychic Vision series is on sale today and tomorrow for only 99 cents!

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Dale's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Does your mother (daughter, sister) know what you read…or write?

My mother devoured books. She read all my short stories and kept the magazines that they were in on her coffeetable. Neither my son or husband are readers. My brother is a scifi buff and that’s all he reads – except for my cat books. LOL They’re a cat family.

I’m sure if my mother were alive, she would read all my books.

Dale, your post made me laugh. I’m going through this with my teenage sons. They want to read my super agent books, (their friends are reading my books), but I don’t want them to. I’ve always supported them reading anything they wanted…just not my stories. Now I’m rethinking that after reading your post.

My mother, father and others in the family have read my stories – mostly the RS books. I live in a very small town where a lot of people know me. A few don’t approve of the language and sex in those stories, but most don’t seem to have a problem with it.

The series that gets the most negativity in my local area is the Witches Anonymous series. People here take their religion quite seriously and are offended my witch, Amy, worships the devil (even though there’s little to no occult elements in the books). There’s almost no offensive language and no graphic sex…but Lucifer trips a lot of hot buttons around here! :twisted:

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Misty,
      Sons are such a different basket of issues! My oldest reads my vampire series – won’t touch my adult stuff – that whole concept of his mother knowing about sex just gets to him. lol.

It is a hurdle we have to get over when it comes to our kids and our own book. Especially with the whole sex issue.

My father won’t read my books because there is swearing in them. A flat out no for him! :) Love the Witches Anonymous and love that it pushes buttons for people! lol.

3. Fun post, Dale!
    For me, I don’t have either sisters or daughters, but a mom…and aunts…and cousins…oh, yes ;).
    I don’t keep any of my stories from anyone — except my teenage son, LOL. Actually, many of my books he could read without any worry on my part, if he wanted to, but According to Jane has a little more sexual content in it and it’s one that I’m not rushing to have him read just yet! He has read quite a bit of my unpublished writing, though. There are some stories that I’m still editing and I was curious what he’d think of the opening pages and the plot, if he’d be drawn into the characters, even though the stories weren’t intended for a YA audience. It’s a lot of fun getting his opinion on books…
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …“How I Met My Mr. (or Ms.) Darcy”

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Marilyn,

It’s an interesting problem – our kids and our books – isn’t it. I’m over the worst of it now – I hope! Unless I decide to start writing erotica! My daughter and I spend a lot of talking about books – mostly because she’s so fed up with seeing the same old stuff out there. She wants pirate stories, Highlander stories and even another demon story or two, but they have to be…different than what’s out there.

Okay, glad there’s no….pressure!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …An awesome way to start the day!

I agree with Marilyn, fun post, Dale.

To my knowledge, my mother hasn’t read my books. She’s proud of my accomplishments, but mom isn’t a reader by any stretch of the imagination. My sister, Margie, on the other hand, has read both and love ‘em. My other sister, Mary … when Forget About Tomorrow for came out, took it with her when she and a group of friends went to Cancun. They were all seated together on the plane, so Mary stood and began reading the sex scene out loud. :shock: When she told me that, I nearly died laughing.

To my knowledge, none of my other siblings have read my books … but then, they’re not big readers.

5. Dale, my daughter is only 10, so I’m definitely not comfortable with her reading my books, and have told her she’ll have to wait a bit before she can. My sister and my mom have definitely read all my books, as have my two brothers, my husband, my sisters-in-law, my brother-in-law, my cousins. Everyone! They are so supportive, and I love getting fan mail from my own family :)
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …The Emperor’s Conspiracy on sale at a special price

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Michelle,

My daughter was 10 when I started writing YAs for her! And there was no end to those. She’s 15 now and has definitely shifted into a whole new maturity level.

Isn’t it great to feel the love from family!

6. ki pha says:

Hi, thanks so much for the post and question. I’m still single so no kids but I have sisters and brothers. I’ll say that they all know that I love reading romance novels, they even call them”your love books” when ever I receive my fabulous packages of books in the mail. :roll: My younger brother calls them “the love making cover books”. I would always have to roll my eyes at him because I know it’s coming my way when he sees my books. My mother on the other hand knows nothing about them, she knows that I read, a lot, but she doesn’t know that they’re romance novels and what they have in them. I don’t think I’ll ever feel comfortable telling her about them and about what they’re about. :oops: I guess I/you can say she’s “too Asian” to understand romance novels. It’ll be hard to explain everything. All she knows is that I love to read, a lot. ;-)

7. Lori says:

It took me awhile to tell them and it was almost sort of like some secret shame. When I told friends I was thinking of writing romance some ten years ago the response was, “why that smut?” So I did read it and write it almost in secret. But lately some members of my family are reading 50 shades and loving it, so I figure, hell, if they can read that I sure as heck am not going to keep my book writing to myself. So thank you 50 shades, for taking away any of my shame!