The Awe of Love

“The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” ― Johnny Depp

“I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you.” ― Jane Austen, Persuasion

penguinsI love to love. I believe most people do. The desire to love and be loved is the reason we have cats and dogs and other animals in our houses, despite all the problems that come with them. And the reason we have children. And the reason many of us want life partners instead of just hooking up for sexual encounters.

For me, one of the best parts of love is the awe of it. Just looking at a picture of a kitten, I get the ‘awww’ feeling. I feel the same about babies and small children. That’s basic chemistry. We’re wired so we want to take care of the child, the kitten, the puppy. It’s a built-in tool to ensure survival of the species. And the sense of awe (or ‘awww’) is good for us, too. It softens our hearts and makes us happy. Even if we’re feeling down or even a bit flat, we immediately perk up.

tangoAnd love between a man and a woman… That’s almost the hardest. In the beginning, everything is shiny and new, and it’s easy to love each other… And then we get to know each other’s faults and quirks and sloppy habits (guilty!) – or the too neat and particular habits. I think that’s why we love romances. Despite difficulties, the couple connects in the end, and the triumph of love gives us that awe feeling, whether it’s a modern-day Cinderella story or a vampire falling in love with a werewolf in the middle of a vampire-werewolf war. If a vampire and a werewolf can find love, we certainly can. (Yet I still think a neatnik and a slob might be a tougher match.)

If the writer does her job well, we live through the characters and feel the love, the passion, the rightness. At the end of the book, we put the book or ereader down and sigh with complete satisfaction. And now we have that love inside us.

I feel that love as I write my books, too. Like the Trogg’s said, “Love is All Around.” And you don’t have to go very far to find it. Just open a book.

What has made you feel the awe of love lately?

photo credit: Adam Foster | Codefor via photopin cc
photo credit: ARACELOTA via photopin cc

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Awe of Love

1. Edie, I love this post.

At the moment, I am in love with my current work in progress, because the love story in it is so awesome. I’m really excited about this one. 🙂

2. Edie,

Like Michelle, I’m loving this current series I’m doing and don’t mind the lack of a life while I rush to make it the best I can.

But most recently, as in less than an hour ago, I felt this awe of love when my Oreo jumped up on my lap to snuggle against me–just as a reminder that I’m most important in her furry world.

And maybe an hour before that when I husband came into the living room and plopped a kiss on my cheek with his “good morning.”

I’m blessed.

Oh, and it’s going to be a great editing day. 🙂
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …My Big Brother

3. Eliza Daly says:

I feel the awe of love when I see my two cats cuddled together in a small pet bed. The one always has his arm around the little one, which we just brought home a few months ago. That is an awe moment that never gets old. 🙂

Toddlers always get me – the way they throw themselves at everything with no fear. Baby animals too.

And I feel the awe of love every time I walk into a Coach store. 🙂

5. You wrote: “And now we have that love inside us. ”
    Oh, Edie, I *love* that!!
    You’re right — that’s exactly how I feel when I read a wonderful romance or watch a great romantic movie (just saw “Dirty Dancing” again this weekend…swoon!) or see the love between parent and child or owner and pet.
    You nailed it. What a wonderful post — thank you :).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAE is $0.99 This Week!

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, *smooch*! I’m surprised you didn’t mention the Persuasion quote. lol

One of my favorite romantic movies on so many levels is Love Actually. That always leaves me with the love inside me. Not only that, my husband loves it, too. Because so many men have stories in it – like the Englishman who goes to Milwaukee, lol – it’s as much a guy’s show as a girl’s.

6. Lori says:

I’ve seen some animal vidoes recently that have warmed my heart. One was a wild dolphin who swam up to some divers in order to get help with a fishing hook. Of course every time my son is happy or laughing makes me happy.

When I first started reading/writing romance novels I tried to explain to people who didn’t read them that the reason they are such a draw is because of that, that love that overcomes all, but some people of course just think its the sex!

• Edie Ramer says:

Lori, I almost put up a video with a dolphin coming up out of water by a boat, and a cat on the boat leaning out to mark the dolphins mouth.

Funny about the sex. Maybe that’s what they’re focusing on. 🙂

7. Amy Remus says:

Love is everything. You can get through anything with love I think. What has made me in awe of love lately? Probably when my kids are treating each other well. They are at an age (11 and 9) where they want things their way, they don’t want the other one touching their stuff, etc. Well, when they ARE getting along and playing together, laughing and just enjoying each other’s company makes me in awe of love. It can be so simple yet sometimes as adults we put stipulations on it. “I’ll love you IF you do X” and so on. I hate when that happens. Good post, Edie!
    Amy Remus`s last blog was …Review, Interview and Giveaway: Tactical Strike by Kaylea Cross

Lovely post Edie, the AWE factor is so special. It warms my heart and lightens my soul!

I feel it the strongest with animals and kids – especially my own!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Touched by Death – free on the 26th and 27th

Coming in late (as usual), Edie. Wonderful post. I totally understand the “aww” factor. It’s pretty much the only thing saving that pup of ours. 🙄 He’s just too darn cute to stay mad at when he does something naughty.

I also get that extra warm feelin’ when my daughter is happy, or gives me a spontaneous hug. She’s at the age where it isn’t cool to do hugs … particularly in public.