Where Did The Time Go?

017We were having dinner last night when my daughter asked me if we could go through photos tonight to find some that her teacher wanted for “Promotion Day”.  Promotion Day is when the 8th Graders graduate to 9th Grade.  It brought home to me that my little darlin’ was soon to be 14 years old and will be entering the High School as a Freshman next year.

Where DID the time go?

They ain’t kiddin’ when they say that kids grow up so fast.  Going through the family photos last night really brought it home.  I vividly remember traveling to China to pick up our daughter in 2000.  Erin was only ten months old, but she was gorgeous.  Even then I knew she was everything I ever wanted.

We went through photos of her first birthday, taking her to the Asian Moon Festival at the Summer Fest Grounds in Milwaukee when she was two years old, building her play set when she was three.  I remember Erin’s first day of 5K, wanting to stay the entire morning so I could watch over her.  That was nuthin’ compared to her first day of 1st grade.  How we carefully loaded up her little backpack with everything she needed … and probably a lot she didn’t.  Her first sleep over and then having to go over to her friend’s house at two o’clock in the morning to bring her home because she was scared.

These are all things that a mom never forgets.  Along with that first time we had to take her emergency because we were new parents and didn’t know what to do about that deep, barking cough and was about to go into a panic.  The first time Erin spent the weekend with my in-laws and my calling every few hours to check on her.  That first homemade Mother’s Day card and present.  (Still have the card).

050And now my little darlin’ is a “tween”.  That lovely age where the eyes are rolling and “mom hasn’t got a clue”.  Not so little anymore.  I’m weathering it pretty good because I fully expected it and had mentally prepared myself for it.  I know there’s a possibility of her behavior getting worse and am prepared to meet that challenge as well.  It’s all part of the growing up process.

There are things coming up that I’m not sure I AM prepared for.  Such as … soon she’ll be experimenting, pushing her limits, going out with boys, leaving for college.

Is there any way to anticipate the next few years?  Who knows?  Anyone out there want to share a few family anecdotes of growing kids?  Please do.  I’d love to hear ‘em.

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Where Did The Time Go?

Liz, I’m laughing at my son now, because my grandson is about to go through the same thing. At the same time, I’m sad, because we don’t see our grandson as much. At this age, he wants to be with his friends. I understand, because I was the same way.

You’ll get through those years. Your daughter is lovely, and she loves her mom and dad. (And her puppy and your kitty.) Good luck to all of you!

• Liz Kreger says:

I’ll bet its funny to watch your son go through the same thing you handled when he was that age, Edie.

Yeah, Erin prefers to hang with her friends moreso than hangin’ with mom. Still, there are those days when she gets really clingy (like yesterday) and I really treasure those days because I know they’re limited. 😉

2. Amy Atwell says:

Liz, it sounds like you’re doing a stellar job of parenting, despite the unknowns. My niece is currently a freshman, and yes, she did a huge amount of growing up in just the past year. More independent, more determined, already thinking about college. My sister is beginning to realize that the countdown to launching her daughter into the world is getting shorter and shorter.

For me, I wouldn’t “do-over” high school if you paid me. LOL
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …Should I Read the Harry Potter Books?

• Liz Kreger says:

I have a feeling that going into her freshman year is going to be a big adjustment for Erin … and for us. More work, more responsibility, more growing up. You always want to cushion your kid against the hard knocks of life, but you really can’t. Erin has to learn, and as a parent, I have to let her learn..

3. Oh, Liz, I really sympathize on this because my son is going to start high school in the fall… It’s so exciting to see them grow up and develop passions and talents, but it’s hard to believe my baby boy is going to be driving soon and dating (!!) — I’m not sure which is scarier to me ;).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Happy “Pi” Day!

• Liz Kreger says:

Oh … thanx, Marilyn, for reminding me that driving lessons are coming soon. Geez, probably in about two or so years. Something else to turn my hair white. The thought of her dating was bad enough. Daddy is threatening to greet each suitor with a shotgun.

4. Lori says:

She’s so pretty! And yes, I realized that pretty quickly, how soon the time goes. The one thing I swore I’d never do is make my life revolve around my child because I’d seen too many mothers do that. Yeah, well, that didn’t work out so well! lol. I can’t imagine my life without my son.

• Liz Kreger says:

I’m doing my best not to become a “helicoptor mom”. Hard to do with an only child. I know she has to experiment and spread her wings. It’ll just be hard to watch and not interfer. Right now advice is heard but not necessarily processed. 🙄

Hi Liz,

It’s so tough watching them grow up. I have my first moving out this year and my daughter is now 15 and a senior at high school. Like how scary is that!

I love days when my daughter is clingy. I wish she was five again and could stay that way. sigh. So not going to happen!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Touched by Death – free on the 26th and 27th

6. Wow, time definitely flies, Liz. I remember the photos of Erin when I first ‘met’ you, and she looks so grown up now!

My daughter is starting to go through puberty now, and I know there are going to be lots of fun and games in my future *g*

My son is fortunately only just turned 8, but he’ll be the teenager that drives me to an early grave, I’m pretty sure. He doesn’t seem to have any fear.

7. Liz, your daughter is lovely, as is your story. 🙂 My daughter is the same age as yours…so hard to believe she starts HS next year. Where did the time go? *sigh* I had to laugh about the eye-rolling comment. I’m sure I did my share of eye-rolling at that age, but it still bugs the crap out of me for her to do it…LOL This has been a good year for her, too. My once super shy kid was in the school musical, performed in solo ensemble, and is singing in the variety show tonight at school. I know I’m going to cry…I usually do. Oh, and I got one of those rare, unexpected hugs with an “I love you, Mommy.” last night. 🙂