Audio books – love them or hate them?

I know I’m in the minority, but I am NOT a big fan of audio books. Yes, I’m ducking as I write this. I can’t even get through most videos unless they are VERY short. Why?

I’m not sure but I’ve put it down to my attention span can’t stand still that long. With articles and news videos my focus locks on, listens, realizes I’m not getting or have gotten what I need and it’s on the run to the next thing. Yes, that makes me sound like I have ADD or ADHD – and I don’t.

But audio books take forever to get the point. Lol. And of course that’s because the whole point is to relax and enjoy the book – see I never get to that point. My mind is always on the go. I’m a visual person. I love to watch movies, but only as long as the story holds my attention. In audio books there are no visuals but the movie rolling through my head – well that’s my imagination and my imagination is ALWAYS on overload. It spits out images and stories and characters….all the time. And it doesn’t follow the storyline in progress. It heads off into any number of other potential scenarios and I have to forcibly bring myself back the story being read.

Mosey audio

Drives. Me. Batty.

So it was a curious thing that I decided to put all my novels up in audio format. For someone who can’t listen to audio books, I’m sure hoping other people do! As I love to see my books go up on new sites, it’s also a thrill to see new formats go live.

The first book to be produced is It’s A Dog’s Life. My romantic comedy novella. The cover had to change slightly for the CD shape of audio books. But the first of 12 Books is now available on and on – and will eventually be on iTunes, too.

51M-8KgFMdL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_ (1)

Our own Amy Atwell’s book Ambersley is also available in audio

So back to the real question – audio books – do you love them or hate them?

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Dale's Posts, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Audio books – love them or hate them?

I can only listen in the car. I’ve tried listening in the home while I’m busy with chores, but my mind always gets distracted. I have pets, for one thing. And they always want me to do something at the wrong time. It just doesn’t work for me. I don’t love them or hate them, but I prefer reading.

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Edie,

I can only listen in the car if I’m NOT driving! Otherwise I become distracted and and either forget what I’m doing or forget what’s happening in the story.

I hear you on the distractions at home, but my cats aren’t quite as needy as your Belle – thankfully! LOL
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …And a whole new beginning!

2. Amy R says:

I tried an audio book one time (I know once isn’t enough to give it a fair shot) but I hated it. I am too easily distracted by the voices (it was a JD Robb book and I didn’t like the way the female voice spoke as Roarke). I recently went to a reading and while it was fun to listen to authors read their own books I still got lost wondering when a character was “thinking” and when he/she was “talking”. I like to see the words. So, audio is not for me right now. I told my husband though when I am at a point that I can’t hold a book or see the words on a page, set me up with audio books. 🙂

Hi Amy,

See – I could get on board with the last bit you said – when I’m at the point where I can’t hold a book or see the words on the page – then I’d be happy to listen to audio too!

But for right now? Nope, so can’t do it. 🙁
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …And a whole new beginning!

4. Amy Atwell says:

Thanks for mentioning Ambersley, Dale! I don’t listen to audio books as often as I’d like. I used to listen to them during long drives, and that worked great. And a few months ago, when I was on a cooking/baking jag, I listened to audio books instead of leaving the television turned on in the background. I find audio books are really great when my eyes and hands are focused, but my brain is still able to process one more stream of input. Can’t wait to hear your books!

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Amy,

You’re welcome! The audio book stuff is quite the process, isn’t it? I’ve never tried to listen while cooking or say gardening…hmmm. I wonder if that would work for me. I doubt it, but it’s worth a try.
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …And a whole new beginning!

5. Dale,
    Several author friends of mine have been doing audio books with their novels, so I’ve been hearing more about it as of late. Personally, while I don’t hate them at all, I find it really hard to focus on an audio book when it’s playing. My mind just drifts…even if it’s a story I really love! So…I don’t know about them for myself, but I know many, many readers who love them!
    Congrats on yours ;).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …A Visit with Samantha Wilde

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks. Nice to know I’m not the only one that feels that way about the audio books. And there is a huge wave in authors and audio book production. Will be interesting to see how they are all received. 🙂