Vicariously Delicious

ATS200I’m reading AFTER THE STORM by Amy Knupp. Amy’s a friend and a wonderful writer. She also has allergies and, because of this, eats a gluten-free diet. So I’m reading her book, thinking the characters would be eating healthy foods.

Wrong. It has cookies. Ice cream. Cakes. Junk food. These foods aren’t mentioned just once in a while, but mentioned often. And as I’m reading this, I’m getting really hungry. And it makes me laugh, because I’m guessing that when Amy wrote this book, she got a vicarious thrill out of this forbidden food.

I don’t eat a gluten-free diet, but for the most part, my diet is pretty healthy. I don’t want to cut out sweets and chips. I do it because I want to be healthy. Lucky for me, my characters don’t have to eat healthy. So I wrote MIRACLE PIE, with a heroine who makes pies. After that, I wrote MO’S HEART, most of which takes place in a restaurant, with many references of food. And near the end, there’s a luscious feast. I indulge myself through my fiction.

MiraclePie200x300It’s not only food. I write in very deep point of view. When I write tense scenes, my neck and shoulders hurt afterward because my muscles tighten so much. This morning, I wrote a sex scene. At the end of the scene, I was panting and wiped out.

And then there’s the way our characters look. For the most part, they’re younger, prettier, thinner, and often richer than we are. Sure they have terrible problems – but they look great while they’re going through it. :) And since I’m in the characters’ POV, that means as I write, I’m gorgeous and young.

It’s even more fun to write the heroes… I sometimes base my heroes on favorite actors. Hey, it’s my book. If I’m drooling over the hero, it makes it easier for my heroine to fall for him.

Are you like me? Do you live vicariously through fictional characters while you’re reading a book?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Vicariously Delicious

1. Edie,

Yes, I get involved with my characters and will remember elements of their lives and/or personalities and problems more than I will likely remember the title of the book. That can be a problem…

Some writers are so good at developing characters you want to keep with you. Those are the authors I look forward to reading again, and even better if the characters reoccur. It’s one of the reasons I love the Miracle Interrupted books, and of course, the author. ;-)
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …When A Pitcher Lives With Hoarders

• Edie Ramer says:

Casey, right back at you about developing characters! I do like to read about reoccurring characters, too. It’s like reconnecting with old friends.

2. CateS says:

Yup… living their lives via reading… and for the HEA…

Edie, I love your characters and their foodie stories. The Galaxy Girls need another adventure with their coffee shop. Yummy. I haven’t gotten to the latest Miracle story, but the pie on the cover makes me hungry! I’m looking forward to reading it.

I live vicariously through the characters I read and write. I travel with them, eat the foods they eat, and enjoy their adventures…all the while in my comfy bed or favorite reading chair. :)

• Edie Ramer says:

Misty, you do this even more in your culinary mysteries! I love your recipes! And your writing. :) Marilyn Brant has food in all her books. Michelle Diener’s next historical has a chef, too. There are a lot of details about food in it.

Food is just fun to write about. Most of us enjoy food, so why not enjoy reading about it? After all, no calories that way.

4. Ohhh, Edie!
    Just what I need — more books with lots of food references!! I swear I’m gaining weight just from reading about them! Mmmmm… You know how much I *love* cookies and ice cream and cake and pie…and…and… ;) So, yes, I’m definitely a vicarious reader and truly enjoy stories (like yours and Misty’s) that involve tasty treats and/or have delectable cover images that make my mouth water!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Release Day for MO’S HEART by Edie Ramer

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, this is one reason I like about writing contemporary romances instead to paranormal. Especially vamps. Blood just isn’t an interesting meal meal to eat. lol And right back at you about your stories. :)

Hey Edie. Always love living vicariously through the characters of a book. Being able to write stuff that we would (under normal circumstances) never do, or eat … or whatever, is even better.

It’s like being able to eat unlimited amounts of chocolate without worrying ’bout the calories. :cool: Your heroine is slender without effort, most often beautiful (at least attractive) and a hero to die for. Gotta love this job. :wink:

• Edie Ramer says:

Liz, I’m reading another book now where the slender heroine eats an entire restaurant meal of barbequed ribs and then has room for dessert. Even when I’m my hungriest, I don’t have enough room to eat a whole order of ribs. Still, I am hungry for ribs now. lol

Hi Edie,

I love Miracle Pie – and not just because of the lovely pies! And I do think we live through our characters – whether writing or just reading – because we can. We don’t have to gain the pounds for the cream puffs the ficitional characters get to eat! :)

I don’t have much food in my books. I may have to take a closer look at that. Hmmmm.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …New Release! – UNBOUND

7. Mike says:

I do live vicariously through characters in a book. I like Tom Clancy novels and John Grisham (I am always the hero of the story, of course).