I’d Tell You, But Then I’d Have To Kill You by Misty Evans

Jane is the winner of my giveaway. Congratulations! (I’ll contact you.)
top secret

Conspiracy theories. When I say that, what do you think of? Elvis? JFK? The Boston bombings?

Last week, I spent time discussing plot ideas with author Lori Wilde. She’s a genius of the high-concept romance plot. I, on the other hand, lack the gene (or the muse) for that type of plotting. That’s why I was lucky to have her mentoring me for a new military romance series.

I had an idea for a heroine who is a conspiracy theory nut. Lori suggested I turn her into a debunker instead who comes across the one conspiracy theory she can’t debunk.

Aha! The light bulb went on. It took me no time to write up Amanda’s motivation and goal for the book, and put her right in my hero’s way. The conspiracy theory Amanda tackles for her TV show, The Bunk Stops Here, involves a rogue group of former special ops guys…and if she reveals they’re real, Ian, the hero, will have to kill her. Oops.

I’ve always enjoyed a juicy conspiracy theory, although I’m too logical to believe most. One of my sons loves to tell me the latest ones making the rounds on the internet, and we hash them out. Debunking them is just as fun and entertaining.

You can find some conspiracy theories that HAVE been proven true on various websites, but even those have a tinge of the unbelievable to me. Here’s one of the sites: http://truththeory.com/2013/02/15/5-conspiracy-theories-which-turned-out-to-be-true/ . See what you think.

So how about you? What’s your favorite conspiracy theory? Share and you’ll be entered to win a copy of one of my super agent books or one of Cynthia Eden’s Alpha One (your choice!).

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Misty's Posts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to I’d Tell You, But Then I’d Have To Kill You by Misty Evans

Misty, I love that idea! I already can’t wait to read it. And it’s too early in the morning for me to think of conspiracy theories. I love anything to do with aliens, though. 🙂

2. Amy R says:

Hi Misty! Like the plot idea for you next book. I can’t think of any conspiracy theories right now but I did like the movie Conspiracy Theory from the late 90’s that Julia Roberts was in and I love to read books that include them. As for the ones that happen in real life? I don’t really pay attention to them much. I know, I should probably, but they don’t interest me all that much. Happy Tuesday!

• Misty Evans says:

Happy Tuesday, Amy! I’ve played around with this idea before – and you know Conrad loves a good conspiracy theory – but Amanda’s character will be a great one to write since, like me, she enjoys debunking them.

Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Misty,

Debunking conspiracy theories is always a fun pastime around my house – what is scary are the ones we can’t debunk. I’ve seen this list before – majorly scary!

The new book sounds like fun!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …New Release! – UNBOUND

• Misty Evans says:

Dale, some of them ARE scary. Especially the crazy ones that have a grain of truth hidden in them. Some are sad, too, like all the ones surrounding Princess Diana’s accident and death.

Have a great day!

4. Jane says:

I’ve always been fascinated about the conspiracy theories surrounding Area 51.

What a great story idea, Misty. Something I hadn’t heard of before.

Let’s see … conspiracy theories. Area 51 is always a fun one. Bigfoot and all that.

Personally, I believe that all these pharmaceutical companies are actually making little or no effort to find cures for the various diseases … whether its cancer, heart disease, whatever. They make far too much money with their “treatments”. Wouldn’t it be killing the golden goose is a cure was found for cancer?

• Misty Evans says:

It does make you wonder, doesn’t it, Liz? $$$ is always a driving factor in medicine. Sad, but very true. I wish they’d come up with more preventative treatments and make their money that way.

6. LOVE the story idea, Misty!! That sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun… 🙂
    Personally, my favorite conspiracy theory involves Elvis, but that’s just because I’d really love to see him live and in concert, and I have the sneaking suspicion this fantasy won’t ever happen…LOL. I used to watch a lot of X-Files episodes, though, and my imagination is nothing compared to Chris Carter’s government/alien conspiracies!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Release Day for MO’S HEART by Edie Ramer

7. Kristine Radgman says:

The Yeti is that a conspiracy theory? I like one that states that different governments want to do away with Gold as money as well as paper money and only let you use a card so they will know where you are at all times. humm I wonder where I read this. Okay so I don\’t know if this is from an article or a novel??? I bet your book will be great Misty when you finish it. 😉

• Misty Evans says:

Big Brother IS watching us, isn’t he, Kristine? And if governments all over the world start using money cards (similar to debit and credit cards) to track us, my spies are going to have work even harder to stay off the radar. 😆

8. I love conspiracy theories! I love trying to debunk them, or just reading about them. So often, they hold a credible grain of truth. The latest Elementary episode I watched on Sunday starts with the death of a conspiracy theorist, and the episode is about a specific conspiracy theory that turns out to be true. Loved it!

Elementary is a great show, and the writers do high-concept very well. I can totally see that storyline happening in real life.