Flying Under The Radar? Priceless.

I just spent three days in Disneyland with my boys.  A few times my hubby posted on Facebook some pics of himself or them on some crazy ride–I am noticeably absent.  I even joked with him about his Facebook friends wondering where I am.  At the time, I felt a few seconds of…I don’t know…wistfulness…that I wasn’t more adventurous or adrenaline-seeking.  It would be…fun…right?…to be able to give myself over to this kind of excitement.  To be the kind of mom who charges onto Tower of Terror with a smile or rocks the cage on the ferris wheel.

Uh no.

After forcing myself on several occasions to go on roller coasters and being terrified out of my mind on them and usually sick to my stomach afterward, I finally came to the conclusion–I don’t like them.  And as such, I am not going to ride them.  No matter that I think I should like them.  No matter that people wanting me to have fun do everything they can to get me to ride on them.

One good thing that is coming with age is the ability to acknowledge who I really am and accept what I want out of my life (notice I did not say to accept the wrinkles and gray hairs, etc.  I’m still working on doing that gracefully).  What I am is a bag of contradictions.  I’m shy and quiet and don’t like being the center of attention.  At the same time, I love writing thrilling and exciting and erotic stories (though I’ll still blush if I have to talk about them), meeting readers who enjoy my work, and teaching other writers what I know.  I love love and passion and spontaneity and traveling to new places.  But when it comes to Tower of Terror and California Screaming?  Give me a great book to read anytime.  (Note: Standing for almost an hour in line after line is much easier to take when you have a bunch of romance novels loaded on your iPhone.)

So yes, age brings a lot of stuff I don’t like, but knowing and accepting and liking who I am a little bit at a time?

That’s turning out to be priceless.

What about you?  When it comes to thrill rides, how far will you go?

To all the moms out there, have a great Mother’s Day!!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Virna's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Flying Under The Radar? Priceless.

In my younger days, I loved roller coaster rides. Now, my back and hips can’t handle them. Have to get my thrills in other ways these days! 😈

2. Cynthia Eden says:

LOL, when it comes to thrill rides, I am on the ground, right next to you. My husband and son are up in the air–screaming and having a wild time. 😉

Ditto what Misty says. The last time we were at a Great America theme park, my husband and son went on a roller coaster while I waited for them. When my husband got off, one of the girls who’d been sitting behind them said to her friend, “Did you hear that man scream?” The screaming man was my husband. lol

Well ladies, I got to tell you, I race my boys for the front seat and always have done! 🙂

In fact, they got their love of roller coasters from me. I was always asked to be a parent chaperone when the school classes went to our local rides because I was right up there with the kids, screaming my fool head off. LOL.

Still, if it’s not for you, sometimes the best place to be is watching the others be idiots!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …New Release! – UNBOUND

5. Susan Hatler says:

Your boys look like they’re fun-deprived without you next to them (har har). I’ll ride the occasional roller-coaster, but, after being rear-ended many years ago, I now have to deal with neck pain afterwards. Ugh. I’d be content reading books next to you. 🙂
    Susan Hatler`s last blog was …Truth or Date – Now Available!

6. Virna, I’m totally fine with Tunnel of Terror things, but I really don’t like the ones that swing so you’re strapped in and teetering way too high. Just . . . no.

I know how you feel about thinking you should do something because that would be ‘fun’ but not wanting to. I don’t like fishing. I know it would be fun for me to go fishing with my daughter, son and husband, but I just don’t like it. I’ve gone a couple of times and read my book while they’ve fished, but really, I rather not even go. LOL. And I’m fine with that now. They have their special thing they like doing together, and we’re all good. 🙂

7. Barbara Elness says:

I love riding roller coasters, and at aged 61 I don’t think I’m ever going to grow out of it. 😀 I had a heck of a time convincing my son to go on roller coaster rides, it took him until aged 10 to finally give it a go, and he’s been an uber fan ever since. He even works as a ride operator at an amusement park, he likes them so much. Which is good for me since he gets me into the park for free. 😀

8. Amy R says:

While I love the thrill ride of rollercoasters and things like the Tower of Terror, I do have a little more fear when boarding them. Instead of looking for a good time I am hoping they don’t break. My screams of enjoyment sometimes are screams of fear. I still ride them, though – at least once. 🙂

Happy Mother’s Day to you all!