First off, I’d like to thank everyone who commented on my last blog (two weeks ago), which Edie had kindly posted for me following my hip surgery. The surgery went well and slow but steady progress is being made in getting me back on my feet. Audo Books

Okay … Audio-books. Something that I personally am finding rather fascinating. A couple of years ago I wrote a little bit about this in an audio-book versus reading sorta blog. Well, the medium is becoming more and more popular. Not only can you obtain audio-books via the internet from places like Macmillan Audio, Barnes & Noble, i-Tunes, Amazon … the list goes on.

Plus, the devices that one can use to download audio-books have grown. You can use anything compatible with an mp3 audio player. This includes walkmans, i-Pods, i-Pads … pretty much anything with an “i” in it. 😉 There are also tablets, smart phones, and of course, your computer, although personally this wouldn’t be a first choice. I spend a good part of the day and the last thing I feel like doin’ is spending more time on it. Then there’s your e-readers. Easy enough to download an audio-book onto that. So your e-reader is not only convenient for downloading and storing oodles of books, but you can also download an audio-book, plug in a pair of headphones and viola … you’re all set.

Since I’ve been laid up, I’ve been listening to books on CDs. Barbara Vey was kind enough to give me a half dozen or so books on CD to help make my convalescing time go faster. Although I’ve read Molly Harper’s “Good Girls Don’t Have Fangs”, I find that listening to it is just as enjoyable. Who knows — this might be reminiscent of that time when I was a child and mom used to to read to me.

Times when listening to an audio-book as opposed to reading are pretty much a no brainer. Long distance driving, while you’re at work (maybe) or just plain vegging out.

So, anyone out there have any pros or cons for audio-books? As far as I’m concerned, I only see the advantages and few if none of the disadvantages.

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Audio-Books

I prefer to read because at some point in audio books, my mind wanders to something else and I miss something important. But I have a friend who loves audio books, and she’s been listening to them for years, easily more than a decade. I think they’re becoming more popular, too.

I’m glad you’re enjoying them while you get your strength back!

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Edie. Funny thing is … even while listening to an audio while driving in heavy traffic, my attention of course, is on the other cars, but a part of me is very focused on the story that I’m listening to. I rarely miss anything.

Hi Liz,

Glad to hear you are doing so much better! 🙂

In terms of audio books, they’d only work for me if I was recovering from something where I couldn’t work. I’m sure in that situation I could get used to them and really enjoy the experience. Other than that I can’t listen without being distracted by everything else in my life.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …New Release! – UNBOUND

• Liz Kreger says:

Pretty much that I thought at first, Dale … that I’d get distracted by outside concerns. However, there’s something soothing in just listening and not having to read. Don’t get me wrong. Reading will always be my first love, but there are times when I’ll go with convenience.

3. Liz,
    I have friends who LOVE audio books, including several who really enjoy listening to them in the car or when they’re doing housework. My attention wanders too much if I’m trying to do other tasks while listening, though, so I haven’t listened to nearly as many stories as they have :).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …A Q&A with Author Leslie Lehr

• Liz Kreger says:

Wandering attention seems to be the common theme when it comes to audio-books, Marilyn. Still I think this is preferable to chatting on a cell phone while driving … or texting.

4. Cynthia Eden says:

Glad to hear you’re doing better–I hope you keep healing right up!!

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Cyn. Just got signed off by the home therapist and am now doing my exercises religiously. Want to get this leg back to mobility. Perhaps not 100%, but I’ll be happy with 90/95%.

5. Liz, we take audio books for long car trips for the kids, and they LOVE them. We do, too. It makes the time fly. But if I’m not in a car, if I’m walking, for example, and listening, I tune out, start thinking of something, and then realize that I’ve missed a whole chunk of the story. So they only really work for me in the car, so far.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Virtual Book Tour for Daughter of the Sky

• Liz Kreger says:

Definitely a great way to keep the kids occupied. And I know for a fact that kids adore technology … so anything they’re allowed to monkey with is a double winner.

6. Amy says:

Glad you are doing better, Liz! I have attempted an audio book a couple of times and have been distracted by it. Mainly because I “hear” the characters a certain when in my head and when someone else’s voice is in there and isn’t the way I hear it, I start focusing on the voice of the person speaking and not that of the book. Probably wasn’t a good idea for me to try an audio book of JD Robb’s after reading about 20 of them where Roarke sounded specific in my mind as did Eve. I know that some day when I am unable to read audio books will be great. I need to remember them for when I have the flu or a migraine or something else. I did tell my husband that when I get to a point in my life where I can’t hold a book or read or something he better bring me some audiobooks, though!
    Amy`s last blog was …Guest Post, Giveaway, & Review: RUBY by Jeffe Kennedy

7. Pingback: SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Indigo)