Spreading Her Wings

photo 2Well, tomorrow morning my daughter will be leaving for Costa Rica as part of a (sorta/kinda) school trip sponsored by the science teacher of her elementary school. This teacher has escorted students to Costa Rica for the past twelve or so years and this year is Erin’s chance to go.

Little hard for me to fathom that my little darlin’ is actually going to be traveling thousands of miles away. Kinda scary. For me more so than her. Don’t get me wrong … I think this trip is

a wonderful opportunity for her to experience a foreign country and to do a lot of learning along the way. Not only will they be doing a lot of hiking, the students will also be studying the rainforest, whitewater rafting and even zip-lining. I’m told that most of the accommodations will be rather standard, hot water will be iffy, meals will be basic … not exactly a luxury vacation.

Still, the trip will no doubt prove to be a liberating experience. Not only is my daughter visiting a foreign country, but she’s learning a number of valuable life lessons. Independence being one of the most important, in my opinion. This will go far in teaching her to rely on herself, particularly when she’s ready to leave for college, or even just leave home to strike out on her own.

I also think it will be a learning experience for all of us. As difficult as it is, I have to be able to let go. Parents cannot cling to their children and continuously interfere with their lives. We have to come to a point where we acknowledge that we’ve done everything we could in raising our child … hopefully to instill common sense, self-worth and confidence in our children.

I certainly know that a lot of work and effort went into fund raising for this trip and I want to say that over half the cost was covered in these endeavors. There was the Breakfast with Santa, the take home fund raiser, Breakfast with the Easter Bunny and my personal favorite, the flower sale. (Made a killing with that one). I think participating in these fund raising efforts also went a long way to a sense of responsibility and growing maturity.

So, how ‘bout you? Have you had to let go? Watch your little chickies spread their wings and test the boundaries of life without you standing behind them ready to catch them with a safety net? Gotta say, I have a feelin’ this coming ten days are going to be some of the most difficult days of my life.

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Spreading Her Wings

What an amazing place to visit! This is so cool for her. I hope she has a fabulous time!

It’s been quite a while since my son’s been on his own – and I still worry sometimes. Especially when I head that the weather is bad and he’s on the road.But I just worry for a minute, send good wishes, and trust that he’ll be fine.

• Liz Kreger says:

I guess that despite time and age, we never really get over worrying about them, Edie.

Yes, this will be a terrific trip for Erin. I’m just not so keen on having to hustle her butt out of bed and to the school at 1:45 a.m. 😯

2. Amy Atwell says:

How exciting for her to make such a trip–and you’re very brave to let go. It’s hard, I know (and I’m not even a mom!). My niece traveled with me to Boston two months ago. She’s 15, and it was her first real trip away from home without one of her parents. Now she’s gearing up for a week-long screenwriting camp in Oklahoma this summer. I’m so proud that she was accepted because they only take 12 or so high school students from across the country. But it makes me realize she’ll be heading off to college in a few short years.
    Amy Atwell`s last blog was …The Classics Are, Well… Classic.

• Liz Kreger says:

How exciting for your niece, Amy. And what a wonderful opportunity. I hear ya about knowing college is only a few short years away. I’m gonna have hives as we get closer.

My daughter has been talking about this trip since she entered the elementary school … having heard all about it from previous students and begged us to let her go. How can you say no? Particularly when she worked so hard to achieve it.

3. Liz,
    I think this will be such an amazing opportunity for your daughter!
    But, I agree — it’s really hard as a parent to let them go, especially someplace so far.
    We’ve had to do a bit of that, too, with our son, and I know there’s much more ahead…
    Sending your little girl best wishes for a safe and exciting trip :).
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Cover Reveal: A Summer in Europe…in Polish!

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Marilyn. I plan on encouraging her to attend an out of state college … despite the cost. I would love to have her get her basics locally and then experience the independence of living on a campus.

When I was 20, I moved to Australia for a year. I know for a fact that my mom wasn’t happy about that but she understood that I had to spread those wings. Never regretted it.

4. It will be hard for you to let her fly away but such a great opportunity for her.

Having been to Costa Rica, I am so jealous. It’s a fabulous country. Beautiful. Friendly people. She’ll grow so much on this trip. She’s a lucky gal!

• Liz Kreger says:

That’s what I’m hoping, Cynthia … that she will grow on this trip. My motherly advice consisted of staying with a group or at least two other friends, don’t flash money and most of all, using her common sense. Here’s hopin’ she listened. 😉

5. “Parents cannot cling to their children and continuously interfere with their lives.”
    Umm…I didn’t get that memo. :0
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

• Liz Kreger says:

I’m pragmatic, Karin. I know I won’t always be there for my little darlin’, so I rather she has everything she needs to strike out on her own … which includes independence.

Hi Liz,

That sounds like a fantastic opportunity and mirrors a trip my son did in high school. He loved it! I had a hard time with it. 🙂

Oddly enough my youngest child just started her first job on the weekend. I couldn’t believe the time that’s zipped by!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Haunted by Death

• Liz Kreger says:

You ain’t kiddin’, Dale. I cannot believe that Erin is going to be 14 years old. I’d always been told that I’ll be shocked on how quickly the time goes. Uh … yeah!

Finding photos on the CR Experience on FB and it looks like a good time is being had by everyone.