Adventure Awaits

Amy in TreeWhen I was young—like Liz’s daughter (see yesterday’s post), that kind of young—my head was filled with adventurous ideas.  I planned to own a horse, even though I lived in suburbia.  I planned to go to college.  I planned to travel.

I managed all those things and then some.  I’ve lived in New York City, Atlanta, Chicago and the San Francisco Bay Area.  I’ve spent summers on an island in Maine, on the Outer Banks, and now on a barrier island in Florida.  I’ve been to Europe, I’ve hiked in the Alps, I’ve sailed a boat off the coast of Martinique.

Disney Half-MarathonBut most of that was when I was younger.  Somehow, middle age crept up on me, and a combination of job responsibilities, family responsibilities, financial realities and maybe common sense has made me more practical for the past ten or so years.  But when my husband and I planned this year, I knew I was turning 50 (already happened, see? I’m still here!), and I wanted to recapture some of the adventurous spirit that I’d lost.  How?

We started  with the new car we bought back in January. Followed by running our first half-marathon.  Last month, I crossed something off Amy Rappelingmy “bucket list” when we took a cruise through the Panama Canal—an amazing and memorable trip.  We doubled down on the adventure factor and did excursions in Mexico that took us zip-lining and camel riding.

Later this year, we travel to Quebec City for another half-marathon. It will be my first time traveling to Quebec, and I can’t wait.

That’s actually the cool thing about adventure–I find a little of it gives me a taste for me.  And a taste for adventure makes me look forward.  I want to accomplish new things, finish that next Camel Lovebook, explore new opportunities, travel new places.  I can’t believe I got bogged down in everyday life for so long and forgot that life should be an adventure!

So, I’ll leave you with an inspirational video I found this morning that comes from Conan O’Brien (I discovered it on the blog).  Here’s hoping it makes you start looking forward, too!

Is there an adventure you’re planning? Or one you’ve put off?  What about your ‘bucket list’?

About Amy Atwell

Amy Atwell is a storyteller at heart. After fifteen years in professional theater, she turned from the stage to the page to write contemporary capers and historical tales that combine romance and adventure. Her books are available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. When not writing, she runs the online author communities WritingGIAM and Author E.M.S.
This entry was posted in Amy's Posts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Adventure Awaits

1. Brit says:

Good advice! I hope people take it…there comes a time when one isn’t able to lift the list, never mind the bucket. 🙂

I love that video! And I love all the things you’ve done. You look wonderful, too, Amy, and so happy.

We’re going to Scotland next year! That’s definitely on my list. We’re both looking forward to that. My husband has German roots, and he wants to go there someday. He’s using books and tapes to learn the language. That’s not on my list, but I’ll go with him.

• Amy Atwell says:

Edie, a trip to Scotland sounds fabulous. And yes, my husband is working on his French. I’ll probably cram for 3 hours on the plane ride and hope my high school foreign language skills kick back in. Ha! If you go to Germany, I suspect you’ll love it. We traveled there a few years ago, and I had a ton of fun.

3. Amy,

I’d have to say my life has turned out very different than I planned and much more difficult as a result. However, I think the trials have made me a stronger person and honed my ability to find joy and happiness in the little things that come my way and the constants that only grown better. Like my hubby. And the lake. And my sons. And my writing and friends I’ve gathered along life’s path.

Great post. Loved the photos and the video. Thanks. 🙂
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Dreaming of Alaska

• Amy Atwell says:

Casey, there’s a saying that life is what happens while you’re waiting for something in your future. Truly, the journey is the most important part–even if the journey doesn’t take you where you planned.

4. Angi Morgan says:

Amy, you look A-MAZ-ING !!
    Can’t want to see you in Atlanta. Thanks for the reminder that life is full of adventure, no matter where we are.

• Amy Atwell says:

Thanks, Angi! Looking forward to seeing everyone at next month’s conference. And I *better* look good! LOL I’ve logged a lot of miles this past year. I can’t believe that at the age of 50, I’m a habitual runner.

Hi Amy,

Love that video and such a great reminder that our lives are THE adventure and it’s up to us to make it happen!

You look so happy! 🙂
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Haunted by Death

• Amy Atwell says:

Thanks, Dale. The trip was a very important reminder that life doesn’t happen by Internet alone. It’s really good to get out and breathe fresh air, clear the cobwebs.

6. Great post, Amy! My bucket list is simple, grab the hubster and go any place where there is only one requirement: relaxation…
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

Great post, Amy. You’ve reminded me that I used to be adventurous … when I was younger, of course. I’ve lived in Australia for a year when I was 20, have been to Canada, Paris, Hong Kong, China and Greece. All wonderful and memorable trips. However, these past years have slowed me down … most due to health reasons, of course, but right now, I’m trying to plan a return to Australia. Have friends there I haven’t seen in over 20 years and I’m eager to see them.

In the meantime, I’m still managing to make trips within the U.S.

Incidentally, you’re gonna love Quebec City.

8. Amy, wow, you look so wonderful and are really grabbing life by the horns.

I love travelling and last year got to do a LOT of it. Melbourne, Hong Kong, London, the Isle of Man, the Lake District, Scotland and Istanbul. It was fantastic, and I love the things I learn and the people I meet when I travel.

Have fun in Quebec City!