Books Meet Television

True BloodHBO has just started the sixth season of True Blood. A show that my sister and I have been watching religiously for the last five years. For those who don’t know, this is a series based on Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse books. There are probably a dozen or so books in this series, so that leaves a lot of fodder for HBO to develop numerous seasons to come.

Or will they? The first season followed the book pretty religiously. In fact I’d say they were dead on (no pun intended) with staying true to the books. The second season had my sister and I going “huh?”. Not a heck of a lot to do with the second book. Okay, creative licensing … I can live with that. Well, now, by the sixth season, the director has definitely gone off the reservation. In no way, shape or form are these episodes remotely sticking with the books. We’re talkin’ story lines that were never even mentioned in any of Harris’ books. I have the feeling that True Blood is about to lose my sister and I as viewers after this season. We’re willing to watch this one out, but unless it leads to somewhere logical, we’re finished with it.

CoMWhich leads me to the question — do movies and/or television follow the actual story line of a book that is being translated to the big (or little) screen. I’ve never read the Twilight series, so I cannot say whether the movies were true to the books. Same thing with King of Thrones. The Count of Monte Cristo follows the book fairly close … there is far more in the book than there is in the movie, but I’m putting that down to the limited length of a movie. The Harry Potter movies are pretty damn close to the books as is the television movies of The Stand by Stephen King.

I don’t know if the directors are taking liberties with the books in an attempt to make the television series more exciting/bloody/sexual, but personally speaking, I much rather the adaptations would stick closer to the actual books. I mean, I love the books and would much rather see a faithful adaption to the movie or television screen.

What do you think? Are you all for creative licensing, or would your rather a favorite story get spiced up? Plus, what movies or television series have you seen that does or doesn’t follow the original book?

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Books Meet Television

I became a fan of BONES, the TV show, before reading Kathy Reich’s Temperance Brennan books that it was based on. I picked up one of the books – and her Temperance Brennan character was completely different from the one on TV. Because I like the TV show Temperance so much, I stopped reading the book. But I suspect if I’d been a fan of the books already, I would hate the TV show.

If the Harry Potter movies hadn’t followed the books, I’m sure that a ton of her fans – including me – would have complained loudly.

• Liz Kreger says:

I didn’t know that Bones was based on a book.

And I agree. There would have been howling in the street had they messed up the HP movies.

2. Willa says:

I have a pair of PJ’s my friend in the States sent me – on the top it say’s “Never judge a book by it’s movie” 😛

Love them!

3. It’s not the directors taking creative license, Liz, it’s the writer/writers writing the adaptation.
    Karin* Tabke aka Harlow!`s last blog was …CAPA Winner!

• Liz Kreger says:

Yeah, but is it the actual author of the book that does the adaptation? I seem to recall hearing that Charlaine Harris had some say in it, but not a hellava lot.

Hi Liz,

I’m with Edie on the Bones and Harry Potter movies/books. But as for the twilight combination – I couldn’t get into either of them!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Vampire in Denial is….FREE!!!

• Liz Kreger says:

I agree, Dale. Twilight lost me after the second movie when Bella did at least three things in which she was just Too Stupid to Live. Beyond that? Nope, no way was I gonna waste my time and money. Plus one of my sisters read the series and she said it was downright depressing with all the angst throughout. No thanx.

5. I used to watch BONES, and I had already read all the Temperance Brennan books. I was quite happy to accept that the kernel of the idea was used to create the tv show, but wasn’t at all close to the books.

One franchise I had to really get my head around was the Bourne Identity. I loved those books, particularly for Marie, Jason Bourne’s love interest who becomes his wife. She was intelligent, courageous and his match in every way. I was so disappointed that she wasn’t at all like that in the first movie, was killed off at the start of the second movie and was replaced by someone else for the third movie. Ack! Once I managed to get over that, I enjoyed the movies, but I really don’t understand why they didn’t stick with that plot thread in the movies. It was the one part of the books I loved the best.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Cover Reveal: Banquet of Lies