That Don’t Impress Me Much

I’m a country music fan – but not all country music. Yesterday I was in my car, listening to my favorite country station, when a song came on by a male singer. The music was upbeat and fun, but the lyrics are too much of what I’ve been hearing on country stations lately, about girls liking his car because it’s a 5-wheel drive car. He even bragged about its loud muffler. Even when I was a teenager, I thought loud mufflers were just…loud. And a 5-wheel drive anything does not impress me. Neither does pick-up trucks.

Another male country singer brags about his over-sized tires in a song. I don’t want to insult anyone – but my husband isn’t as nice as me. Not only do over-sized tires cost an obscene amount, when tires are too big for a vehicle, it’s unbalanced and more likely to tip over. So when my husband sees a sees a vehicle like that on the road, the comments he makes about the driver’s intelligence are not complimentary.

And then there’s the song by a young Kenny Chesney about a girl who thinks his tractor is sexy. Another great tune. It was released in 1999, and was very popular. But the reason it’s so popular is that we all know she thinks he’s cute and sexy.

I don’t know any girl or woman who thinks a tractor is sexy.Β What I think is sexy is a man who gives great back rubs.

Foot rubs are impressive, too.

A man who is an equal partner when it comes to child raising.

A man who likes my cat (even when the cat doesn’t like him).

And dogs. After my brother and his wife got their dalmatian, he found out he was allergic. They kept the dog until it passed away. They didn’t get another dog, but I admired him for keeping Candy.

A man who will call before he leaves work to ask if you need anything at the grocery store.

A man who will take care of you when you’re sick.

What impresses you?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to That Don’t Impress Me Much

1. Willa says:

Hmmm . . tyres and 5 wheel drives – hahahahahaaaaaa . . although I suspect they may be metaphors πŸ˜‰

Oooh and yes to the back and foot rubs. My gorgeous fella was very well trained by a previous owner to do these . . . as well as to put the toilet lid down every time. He even looked after me when I had a nasty bout of flu and he had cancer. What a star β™₯

Willa, you have a winner! My husband is the same way about all of that – I’m his first owner. πŸ™‚ And too funny about tires and 5 wheel drives being metaphor. lol You’re probably right!

3. Edie,

Your list pretty much dovetails with mine. Though my honey doesn’t like to do foot rubs or massages which I do love. But he supports me in everything and believes in me without question. And he still brings me flowers every week. Just because.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Stay-at-home Vacation

• Edie Ramer says:

Casey, flowers almost make up for no foot rubs and massages. πŸ™‚

Every once in a while, my hubby will pick up flowers, too. It’s always nice.

4. Edie, I’m my hubby’s first owner, too. What impresses me? A man who doesn’t need to asked to wash dishes, vacuum, do laundry, or whatever needs done. A man who has seen me at my worst and still loves me. A man who I know will take care of me, no matter what.

You ladies are sooo lucky.

I didn’t do so well the first time around. Bad enough, I’m not sure I’ll ever try a second time. But you ladies do make it sound tempting! πŸ™‚
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Contests & Giveaways!

Agree with your list, Edie, and with those that mention a guy who will do stuff around the house without being hounded into doing it. I got lucky there. John has done the laundry since we got married. He also has no problem showing off his masculinity by pushing a stroller, a vacuum or cleaning out the toilet. Since I haven’t been able to, he is also taking care of my gardens for me … and doing a pretty darn good job of it.

7. Amen to the foot rubs and liking animals-
    Making me laugh is a huge bonus. Especially when I’m upset- if you can make me smile if I’m in a bad mood- I’ll be impressed!

8. Mary Hughes says:

Definitely agree with your list. In fact I knew my husband was the one when he came to visit me in my dorm room when I was sick. Not only did he see me at my worst and not run screaming, he took care of me πŸ™‚

• Edie Ramer says:

Mary, you have a winner, too! That reminds me of a scene in a Meg Cabot book, in which the heroine has a horrible cold, with her bed covered by snot-filled tissues, and the hero comes to take care of her. πŸ™‚

Edie, awesome list! My hubby is my rock…and he loves animals, so bonus. πŸ™‚ I wouldn’t want to tackle life without him by my side. He’s my hero.

• Edie Ramer says:

Misty, the list came really fast to me. My hubby recently picked up an injured crane from the middle of a highway during rush hour and carried him to the verge. He’s my hero! Awesome that you’ve got one like that, too.

10. Amy says:

I haven’t seen that Shania Twain video in awhile – thanks for the flashback memory! As for what impresses me? I think it is those men that take the time to get to know what a woman likes. What they need, how they think and to WANT to understand them. I think that is what is impressive in a friendship too – not just a marriage. I wish I was better at this and reached out to friends more. Hope all you ladies are having a good week so far!

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, I’ve got to admit that my husband would be an epic fail at listening to me. I love him, but listening isn’t his strong suit. I’m glad yours is so good at that! My women friends are better at that. πŸ™‚

I am having a great week. I hope you are, too!