Welcome – guest author Holli Bertram!

The Things We Do For Love

Movies and books are full of grand gestures that people make for love. These are the Holli 1moments that tug at your heart and sometimes break it. The moments that make you realize the power of love. Who can forget the scene in James Cameron’s Titanic, when Jack pushes Rose onto a floating piece of wreckage and then stays beside her, holding her hand, submerged in the freezing Atlantic.

Or the classic O.Henry tale about a poor, young couple at Christmas, the Gift of the Magi. Della sells her beautiful hair to pay for a chain for Jim’s precious watch, only to find that Jim sold the watch to pay for combs for Della’s hair.

And for a real life example, just look across the pond. Edward gave up the British throne for his Wallis.

The passion that drives these actions makes my heart melt every time. But it’s not just the grand gestures that matter.  In our everyday lives, we all have things we do for love.

Me, I go camping. Every year.

To understand the significance of this, you need to know that I’m a city girl. More than that, I’m a born and raised Detroiter. People from the Motor City don’t walk to anyplace they can drive to, and they firmly believe that if you can’t take a car someplace, it’s probably not worth going to. So, when I married a man who is happiest with a pack strapped on his back while hiking through the wilderness, cultures clashed and worlds collided.

Holli 2I’m just back from a week of camping in Canada along Lake Huron. This is a beautiful part of the world with wind-swept sand dunes, an endless lake, and towering forests. It rained – a lot. Our tent leaked. When the sun did come out, little flies nipped at us when we tried to lie on the beach or read in a chair at the campsite. Raccoons ate the graham crackers I brought to make S’mores. Despite this, I will go camping next year again. How can I not?  Camping makes my husband happy. It’s a thing I do for love.

What do you do for love?

Many thanks to Dale for inviting me to Magical Musings! If you like humor and a hero who will walk through hell for the woman he loves, be sure to check out HOT MAGIC, my new paranormal, due out in mid-August!

Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000031_00001]

When Julie Dancer’s sexy new neighbor claims he’s got to have her in his bed to break an evil curse, Julie thinks Harry has forgotten to take his meds. The truth is, he has powers beyond imagining. Julie soon finds her normal, somewhat boring life crowded with a leather-clad Guardian, a man who turns into an owl and a vengeful Shadow Walker intent on keeping her from breaking the curse.

Julie knows nothing about Harry’s world or the power to transform energy.  Harry knows nothing about Julie’s life or the power of love.  A single kiss between them triggers a whole lot of Hot Magic, changing everything, and leading Julie to a choice that could save the world but destroy the man she’s grown to love.

Holli Bertram grew up in Detroit, Michigan. She most often had her nose in a book, lost in the magic of a good story. She solved crimes with Nancy Drew, rode the Black Stallion to victory, and cried for three days when Rhett frankly didn’t give a damn. Holli eventually discovered that real life holds its own magic.  She attended the University of Michigan, found her own true love and has three wonderful sons.
Holli is a winner of the Romance Writers of America’s Golden Heart competition in Romantic Suspense, and last year published a novella title “Kiss of a Lifetime,” part of the book Countdown To A Kiss ~ A New Year’s Eve Anthology.  Holli’s debut novel, Hot Magic, will be available in mid-August, 2013. For more information, visit her website at www.HolliBertram.com.

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Welcome – guest author Holli Bertram!

Holli, your book sounds like fun! Love the cover, too.

This morning I was up at 5am for my pets who’d woken up early and wanted to be fed.

2. Edie,
    Hello! Definitely a thing we do for love – getting up at 5 am to feed our pets. I hope you got to see a beautiful sunrise.
    I had a lot of fun writing Hot Magic and I agree the cover artist did a great job!

3. Heidi Dudley says:

I let my husband pick out the colors of our newly decorated bedroom….I would of loved nothing better than unique colors with a soft feminine bedspread….it is brown and beige. I did pick out the throw pillow for the bed though!

I am so excited for your book to be released….I love romance,I LOVE PARANORMAL and I definitely believe in magic!

4. Mara Jacobs says:

I don’t know…it would have to be MAJOR LOVE for me to go camping!

Can’t wait for Hot Magic to be released so that everyone can discover the wonderful, hilarious, touching writer that is you, Holli!!

5. Liz Kelly says:

GOLF! I play golf for the love of a good man – my husband – the golf addict. I’m sure I don’t play enough for him, but I play, I take lessons occasionally, I watch it on TV, I LISTEN to him about his game. All of it truly a labor of love.

And, I LOVE this cover, Holli. And the name of your hero. (So timely with Prince Harry being everyone’s romantic hero these days.) HOT MAGIC! Totally looking forward to it! Best of luck!

Hi Holly,

Welcome to Magical Musings! That cover is gorgeous! Nice job.

And I hear you on the camping thing. Ah, the things we do when we’re in love…

Good luck with the book!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …3 books for the price of 99 cents!!!

7. Liz,
    With golf, there’s always the hope of drinks in the clubhouse afterwards, right?
    I’m a Prince Harry fan myself. He’s a perfect romance hero – rich, royal and a bit of a rogue. Harry in HOT MAGIC doesn’t play polo or run around nude in Las Vegas. He does have a killer British accent, though!

8. Amy says:

Hi Holli – Nice to meet you here. Your book sounds good! What do I do for love? I am a wife and mom of an 11 and 9 year old so I give a lot of my time! But, I guess for love for my husband I do things with him I wouldn’t normally choose to do. Camping being one of them! I too am a city girl, although not like Detroit. I am not a fan of bugs and wild animals, but I do find it refreshing and calming. The kids love it so I go and participate in activities that I wouldn’t normally choose. Also, I am continuing to learn to listen without giving my opinion. I am naturally a “fixer” so I want to fix and control everything. So, I have to remind myself that love is just being there and listening sometimes. I have been married for 14 years love my husband more each day and find more ways to show him that love. 🙂

• Amy,
      I love what you wrote: “love is just being there and listening sometimes.” That is so simple and yet so hard, isn’t it?
      You mention how refreshing and calming you find camping – one part about camping that I like is being away from electronics. It’s the only time in my life that I’m not available by phone or email or can’t check the internet. A part of my brain that’s always on alert gets to turn off, and I find it really relaxing!

9. I’m with Mara…and I’m really glad my MusicMan isn’t one for camping. (Whew!)

Can’t wait to see HOT MAGIC in all its glory on the virtual shelves!

• Colleen,
      The thing about camping is that it’s really difficult to get room service delivered to the tent :). Thanks for the excitement about HOT MAGIC!

10. Sheila Neuenfeldt says:

HI Holli, I ride a BIKE in the motor city for the man I love. And while I love to read a GOOD romance novel in what little spare time I have, he likes to read about urban revitalization. No matter what one reads, it is good for the soul. Can’t wait to read your new book!

• Sheila,
      Hi! I bet biking around the Motor City is an adventure. I’ve heard the bike path along the river is beautiful. Sounds like your husband and mine could trade reading material!

Congrats on the new release, Holli. Love the blurb and cover. Hard to say no to helping a hot guy break a curse. 🙂

Hi Holli: Welcome to MM. Love the concept of Hot Magic. Sounds like its right up my alley.

Let’s see. Hubby is a musician in his spare time (such as it were) and I spent literally years helping him shlep his equipment from club to club. Naturally he’s a drummer/percussionist. Couldn’t play something simple (and light). Still, I was his number one fan and went to more gigs than you can imagine. Yes, I enjoyed the music, but there are other things I probably could have been doing.

Then there’s the little darlin’. She just left for a week in Seattle and guess who gets to take care of the pup while she’s gone.

13. Hi Liz! Thanks for having me here at MM.
    Rock star romances are pretty popular these days. Sounds like you could write a good one :). I saw that you’re a sci-fi reader/writer. My dad introduced me to Andre Norton at an early age and I hopped from there to some great fantasy authors: David Eddings, Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey… man, I don’t read enough of that genre anymore!

14. Bethany Dudley says:

I can definitely relate to being a city girl! Thankfully nobody in my family makes me go camping. For me, I feel like there are a lot of little things I do for love, such as washing dishes I didn’t dirty, or cleaning up after various members of my family, as well as my pets.

The cover of your book looks fantastic and I can’t wait to read it!!! 😀

15. Bethany,
    Hi! Those small, everyday gestures speak loudly. When you’re reading a romance, and the hero starts doing the little things for the heroine – walks her dog when she’s busy, cleans up after dinner, picks something up the store that she needs – that’s when you know he’s falling in love. I particularly like that you wash dishes you didn’t dirty. I’m wishing there was more of that particular gesture in my house!

16. Cynthia says:

I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by it’s cover but I LOVE the cover of this book. Makes me want to grab it and read it right now.
    Cynthia`s last blog was …Orlando Jones Hangs with the Headless Horsemen at Comic-Con