Looking Forward to Autumn

Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

I realize it’s not even Labor Day and, worse, I live in Florida where autumn won’t arrive for weeks and weeks.  Shoot, we’re just gearing up for the heaviest part of hurricane season in my neighborhood.

But I’m looking forward to autumn.  I’m already aware that the days are getting a bit shorter. Plus, I’m heading to Quebec and Maine soon.  I’m already watching the weather forecasts.  Do you know there are places up north where 75 degrees is the high?  Leaping lizards, here I’m lucky if the overnight temperature goes down to 75 degrees.

Needless to say, I’m looking in my closet and trying on long pants, sweatshirts and shoes that aren’t sandals.  We plan to do plenty of walking (and run/walk another half-marathon–woo hoo!).

Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

Autumn means back to school and football and apple cake and Chicken Paillard with tomatoes, fennel and olives by Eric Ripert.  Trust me, it’s delicious–and actually quite healthy!  It means Halloween and Thanksgiving and preparations for Christmas.  It means the year is winding down, and there’s still so much I hoped to accomplish that I haven’t done yet!

Historically, autumn was a time of harvest, and I do think of it as a time to take stock of accomplishments. Once I realized September 1st was creeping up on my calendar, I knew I needed to get more serious about fiction writing.  I’m happy to announce I’m making steady progress on two manuscripts.

Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

So, it’s with regret that this will be my last post on Magical Musings.  I have loved being a part of this blog and community.  But between the day job, my teaching schedule and now powering forward with fiction, I had to let go of something. I know the Muses here will continue to introduce readers to great books.  I hope next year to swing back by and show off one of my new books!

But first I have to harvest it.  Hmmm, the next few weeks, I’ll be mulching my fiction.

What do you harvest during the fall?

About Amy Atwell

Amy Atwell is a storyteller at heart. After fifteen years in professional theater, she turned from the stage to the page to write contemporary capers and historical tales that combine romance and adventure. Her books are available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. When not writing, she runs the online author communities WritingGIAM and Author E.M.S.
This entry was posted in Amy's Posts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Looking Forward to Autumn

1. So glad you’re working on fiction. So am I slowly but surely. We are having a burst of summer here at the moment so the AC is on for a few days. Not many of those this past summer.

I love the autumn also though I won’t be harvesting anything from my garden but will enjoy the fruits from others hard work.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Summer Meltdown

• Amy Atwell says:

Even without your own garden, isn’t it great to see local fresh produce? Roadside stands are the best! Sorry you’re having a heatwave, but I’ve been pumping air conditioning since April. Really looking forward to fall…

Amy, I love fall weather, but it’s actually heating up in Wisconsin, and unless it changes, it looks like we might have summer in fall. Ack!

Enjoy your time in Quebec and Maine. It sounds lovely. And we’re going to miss you at MM!

• Amy Atwell says:

Thanks, Edie. I grew up in Ohio, and I remember Indian Summer was the best time because you got all the great fall colors but also glorious warm days and cool nights. Now you’re making me homesick for the Great Lakes!

I’m a summer lover, so I’m sad the kids are already back in school and fall is around the corner. I enjoy fall, but it doesn’t last long enough here and winter is always too long and too bitter.

• Amy Atwell says:

Misty– it does often feel that fall and spring go by in a blink. And I know I’ll be whiny when the days get short and chilly here in winter. Thankfully, winter is never bitter here.
      Enjoy your autumn days with the kids back in school. Maybe not as much as summer, but more productive perhaps?

4. Oh, Amy!
    You will be very much missed here on MM, but I’ll look forward to your return visits ;).
    As for fall, it’s always been my favorite season but, as Misty said, it doesn’t last long enough in Illinois… I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time in Maine and Quebec, and I’ve got my fingers crossed for you on all of your fiction projects, too!!
    Marilyn Brant`s last blog was …Upcoming Book Cover Reveal & Happy Left Hander’s Day!

• Amy Atwell says:

Thanks, Marilyn. I’m trying to put my fiction back at the top of my list and not somewhere near the bottom. After this half-marathon, I get to put my training into maintenance mode for a few months. One last summer escape, and then onto a productive autumn. Wishing you a great one, too!

5. and why did I not know you were leaving MM? 🙁 i’m sorry to hear that, Amy, but I totally understand having to be able to draw lines but enforce them. xoxox you will be missed my friend. Happy travels this fall.

• Amy Atwell says:

Thanks, Karin. Like many women, I tend to put my personal goals last when I prioritize all I need to do in a day. Commitments elsewhere and to others always get more focus from me. So, I had to make some decisions. It helped that I received some lovely fan letters this summer asking for the next book. I want to deliver for them!

6. Sorry to see you go Amy, but I certainly understand.
    Have fun in Maine! We went there last year and it was amazing!
    Lori Brighton`s last blog was …Interview and Giveaway!

• Amy Atwell says:

Lori, so glad you had a good time in Maine. I’m looking forward to the full day drive across the state from Quebec to Penobscot Bay. I’ve never seen much of the interior of the state. Hoping to see moose–although, maybe not in the middle of the road!

7. Amy, yay on writing fiction again, but I am so sorry you’re leaving the team. You will be missed and you have to come back as a guest often.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Book signing event in Fremantle, Western Australia

• Amy Atwell says:

Thanks, Michelle. I was so very flattered to even be asked to be a part of the wonderful MM crew, and I’ve enjoyed my time here so much. It’s been great to meet new authors, share great stories with readers, and just the fun we’ve had. I will still read the blog on my RSS feed, and I’m sure I’ll swing by and comment!

8. Cynthia Eden says:

Oh, Amy, I will miss you!!!! I wish you the very best on all of your Fall adventures!

Very sorry to see you go, Amy. You’ve made some great contributions to MM.

I love autumn, but not in the same way you do. For Wisconsinites its the harbinger of winter … which is to be dreaded. I just love the crispness of the nights and the change in the colors. If it gets colder than 50 degrees? Yuck. I’d love to become a snowbird some day.