Buddies For Life

elevatorFunny, isn’t it? You can meet a person once and know you’re going to be friends. You see another person numerous times … whether it’s a new neighbor, co-worker, whatever, and you just cannot jell with them. Unfortunately, these are people who may be in your life for awhile, so its always a pity if you can’t get along with them.

Then there are people you meet on the elevator. You may be coming to work (or leaving), keeping an appointment at a doctor’s office, hell – just riding up to your apartment – and you meet a person for a brief, very brief moment. Sometimes you exchange glances, perhaps nod, and then fix your eyes on the numbers counting out the floors to your destination. Other times, you make eye contact, smile and perhaps comment on the weather. Me? I chat — which I’m sure probably annoys the hell out of a lot of people. If I get the vibe that someone wants to be left alone, I respect that and concentrate on reaching my floor. Other times I’ll comment on a nice outfit, snazzy shoes or even how cool a tat looks. The other person often responds with a smile, a nice comment and we chat about inane things, parting with wishes to have a good day. All in about a minute, perhaps a few minutes, depending on how many floors the elevator stops at. Buddies for life, as my husband would say.

The point is, silly as it may sound, those little exchanges can totally make my day. Sure, they’re brief and completely unimportant when you think about it. No doubt I’ll never see that person again, but I usually come away feeling some sort of a connection. I can only hope that the stranger I exchanged pleasantries with feel the same way. Maybe I made him or her smile, perhaps brighten their day in some small way.

You never know what a person is going through. He or she may be in a wheelchair, using a cane, moving slowly with obvious pain. Since I’m presently wearing scarves to cover a bald head, its obvious I have cancer and can relate to someone with medical problems. I’m also using a walker (hopefully that will change in the near future), so I know what its like having to rely on other people and am somewhat restrained in my activities. A few words exchanged with a stranger in an elevator might make him or her forget their problems, if only for a few minutes. Allow them to concentrate on something other than their troubles. There’s a connection and people respond to that.

If I can come away from a brief encounter with a smile on my face, I feel an accomplishment.

How ‘bout you? Are you someone who concentrate on the numbers counting down the floors, intent on reaching your destination without interruption, or do you engage other occupants in conversation? Do you feel that’s its intrusive if someone else starts a conversation, or do you take a few minutes out of your busy life to respond in kind. I’m sorta interested to know reactions.

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Buddies For Life

1. Paula R says:

Hi Liz, I too like to engage people in a quick conversation, especially if it’s just the two of us. I mostly do it as a means of feeling comfortable being alone with the other person in the elevator with me. I usually smile at someone who enters with a big group, but if. Get the vibe that they don’t want to interact, I keep my mouth shut. I do prefer that someone engages in conversation with me though. It makes the ride, up or down, that mug better. Plus, as you stated, you never know…that short conversation just might be the highlight of someone’s day 🙂

Peace and love,
    Paula R.

Liz, you don’t have a bald head, you have a cute, fuzzy one. 🙂

I usually don’t talk to people while waiting for an elevator. It’s not that I want to be left alone, but my mind is usually busy. And I don’t wait for elevators a lot. You know where I live – not a lot of elevators by me. But I’ll sometimes talk to people in check-out lines. It depends on the people and how fast moving the lines are.

3. Liz,

Life has been a bit difficult and complicated here lately, and despite actually getting some sleep last night (doesn’t always happen anymore) I woke up feeling a bit down and that quickly moved into a pity party. Reading this today cheered me and pushed out of that mode. Your post was the elevator ride for me. Thank you. 🙂
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …Summer Meltdown

4. Barbara Elness says:

I ride up and down in the elevator a lot at work, and do chat with people when they seem receptive and/or make eye contact. If not, I just leave them alone and feel awkward until one of us reaches our floor. I like it when someone initiates a conversation, it makes being shut up in a small room with someone a lot less awkward. 🙂

5. Margie Hauke says:

Hi everyone, just want to leave a quick note to let everyone know that Liz Krueger can not leave any comments right now. Liz fell in the shower this morning and broke her femur bone. She is sitting in the ER right now waiting to be sent to the big St. Luke’s hospital. It may be awhile before she can respond to comments. Unfortunately she broke the opisit leg then she had operated on.

Hi Liz!

So sorry to hear about the leg! Geesh, I think you’ve had more than your fair share of bad luck lately!

Love the post by the way. I often talk to people when I’m standing in line. My kids hate it! lol. 🙂
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Promo, deals and more promo

7. Liz, I’ve emailed you direct, but again, so sorry to hear about your leg, and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

I love having short conversations with people, but only if they make direct eye contact and obviously want to chat.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Book signing event in Fremantle, Western Australia

8. I always tell my son that he has the power (everyone does) to make a person’s day better or worse, even a stranger’s.

In fact if I come across someone who seems down or angry, I see it as a challenge to get that person to smile. lol. Most of the time it works!
    Lori Brighton`s last blog was …Interview and Giveaway!

9. marilynbrant says:

It looks like my first comment didn’t go through!
    Just wanted to say that, for me, I’ll only strike up a conversation with a stranger if it seems as though the other person is interested in one… 😉
    Thinking of you!!

10. CateS says:

Liz!! Those showers are dangerous places!! Sorry to hear about your accident! My mom broke her femor by tripping over the lip of an elevator that had not stopped level with the floor. Best wishes for quick healing!