Sex Sells – What A Surprise

Read an article recently (either on Facebook or in a magazine … I forget which) where professional male models were hired to do cover shots of underwear using the same poses that a female model would normally use. Gotta say, they looked utterly ridiculous. If you look at the way male and female models strike a pose (for whatever product), you’ll see that guys pull off the macho, smokey look while women go for the provocative, sexy route.

No different in television commercials. Obviously sex won’t sell Cheerios, but you can bet that if it were say … ice cream, you’d probably have dad going out with the kids to get a treat, while if a woman was used, she’d probably be portrayed licking the ice cream off the cone in a tantalizing manner. A Carl, Jr. Restaurant (of all things) was showing a commercial for awhile where in one shot the guy is chowing down on nachos with his buds while in another shot, a woman was sucking on a sausage to the point where it looked like she was giving it a blow job. Don’t know about you, but I found it disturbing (and has probably sworn me off of Carl, Jr. Restaurants for life).

I know that sex sells a product, be it male or female. Books covers are no different. Used to be that you’d see what they called bodice rippers … where the gown of the heroine is torn in such a way as to reveal that bit of breast, just to make it tantalizing. We’ll use Joanna Lindsey’s book as an example.  Now? How often do you look over the offerings of the romance section of a bookstore and see the naked chests of a highland warrior, the open trousers of an alien commander, or a fine lookin’ rake just barely covered with a sheet.  Using Karin’s friend, Jaci Burton’s book for this example.Burton

Used to be that just seeing the ankle of a woman was scandalous. Heaven forbid a man be allowed to see a bit of petticoat. Now, it seems like only full body nudity is enough to shock the public. Personally, I like to leave a bit to the imagination. What do you think? When did we become so blasé? And how far is too far for you?

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Sex Sells – What A Surprise

I watch the Ellen Show sometimes. And it’s funny, because she’s openly gay, but she loves have half-naked men with great bodies on her show – and then she makes them take off some more. lol Though I’m straight, it’s Ellen’s big grin and enjoyment that make me like those bits so much.

I don’t know when it got so far, but if you put a kitty or a puppy on a book cover, you’ve reeled me in.

• Liz Kreger says:

I hear ya, Edie. Since I’ve been stuck at home, the Ellen Show is pretty much the only thing I’ll watch. The rest of daytime television is garbage, IMO. I certainly don’t mind seeing a guy’s chest … provided there are no beer bellies involved. 😯

I don’t consider myself a prude, but personally, I like to leave a few things to my imagination.

2. Amy says:

I hear ya, Liz! I do get sick of book covers where there is just a picture of a half naked man on it. Where is the creativity in that? And sometimes the cover of the book is extremely sexy with both a man and woman half naked only to read the book and there are no detailed sex scenes – just the ones that are implied. I don’t get those. Why sell your book sexier than it is? Probably to sell it. I enjoy covers where it tells the story of the book a little. Even if it is just a man and woman on it, I prefer them dressed. I think the Entangled Bliss line does a nice job of this ( I am not sure when our world has made it okay to have so much skin showing. I am trying to raise my daughter to be modest. Right now at 9 she is, but I know it will only get harder the older she gets and wants to be like the people on TV. Luckily, she has found Full House and The Cosby Show reruns to watch. I wish we had more shows like that. Those shows taught youth a lot of good lessons.
    Amy`s last blog was …Character Interview: A LADY’S SECRET WEAPON by Tracey Devlyn

• Liz Kreger says:

Good point, Amy. I like it that my 14 year old still watches the Disney channel. She’s also still at the modest stage, but I do expect that to change in the near future. She’s already making comments about “fat thighs”. I told her she has to have cellulite in order to have fat thighs and that isn’t a problem with her. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Actually….I still watch the Disney channel!!! 🙂

And sex might sell, but I’m getting tired of books that think it’s the only requirement! I much prefer books/movies/life with more plot and much less bedroom antics. lol.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Promo, deals and more promo

I agree, Dale. I’m at the point where a sexy pose is becoming a turn-off for me. I think more of the concept behind the pose than the actual product being sold.

5. Bill says:

Hey! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok.

I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

Here is my web site :: cosmetic surgery (Bill)
    Bill`s last blog was …Bill